Trump picked the day of Nakba to move US embassy to Jr.

Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2018, 4:42 am

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
The people who dismiss all Palestinians as "anti-Semites" are just as bad as the people who insist that Jews secretly run all the banks.

Yes, some Palestinians hate all Jews. Does this mean that all Palestinians are anti-Semites?

Goldman Sachs is run by Jews. Does this mean that every bank is run by Jews?

And Arabs and Canaanites are Semites themselves, so this term is ridiculous when used on them.

It's like saying that White American who hate Nazis are anti-whites.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2018, 5:18 am

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Yes, some Palestinians hate all Jews. Does this mean that all Palestinians are anti-Semites?

I thought they just all hated each other.

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2018, 2:29 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:

When I was living in Israel, I found it interesting that as individuals, the arabs and the jews were both nice. Many were friends with each other. When you put them into groups, friendships were forgotten and they were enemies. Later, one on one they were friends again. People are strange.

As for the lost cities video, the Ottoman empire lost the war, and events progressed according to the plans of the British mandate. The arabs lost some of their home and cities as a result. Foreign aid, intended to help rebuild the lost infrastructure, has not been used for its intended purpose. Instead it has been used by the arab leadership to promote asymmetric warfare.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2018, 3:20 pm

Mudboy wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:

When I was living in Israel, I found it interesting that as individuals, the arabs and the jews were both nice. Many were friends with each other. When you put them into groups, friendships were forgotten and they were enemies. Later, one on one they were friends again. People are strange.

As for the lost cities video, the Ottoman empire lost the war, and events progressed according to the plans of the British mandate. The arabs lost some of their home and cities as a result. Foreign aid, intended to help rebuild the lost infrastructure, has not been used for its intended purpose. Instead it has been used by the arab leadership to promote asymmetric warfare.

I guess people are fundamentally good. Someone has to work really hard to make people bad.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2018, 3:32 pm

People usually do things according to their own interests.

They usually find it expedient to be nice about it. And they usually feel good when they “good turns.”

Many, however, don’t usually sacrifice their own well-being. They might choose the selfish act when it feared that their material circumstances will be affected adversely.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2018, 5:45 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
I think going into ancient history just plays into the wrong hands.

Why so?

Because it gets into Biblical history and gives the impression that it is mostly to do with religion. It turns the man in the street off of the subject. The Bible isn't a history book and God isn't an estate agent. We can start from the beginning of the Zionist movement or from the 40's when Zionist terrorists were blowing up the British and even boats full of Jewish refugues from Europe. The Zionist colonisers removed hundreds of thousands of people from their homes, mass murdered, raped and destroyed villages. But in this Orwellian world, they are the victims.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2018, 5:53 pm

Mudboy wrote:
I am glad the move is going to happen because embassies should always be in the capital of a country, and consulate offices elsewhere. I spent a year at the beach doing embassy duty in Tel Aviv. It is the most westernized country in the middle east and I have mostly fond memories.

The date chosen for the move is a definite political statement in support of Israel. The arabs only see it as an insult because of their islamic hatred of jews.

The allies won the unconditional surrender of the ottoman empire after WW2. Therefore they were allowed to divide it up however they chose. They broke the empire into smaller countries, each containing conflicting factions. Provoking a constant state of civil war, in these new countries, was considered a good method to keep the empire from reestablishing. Israel was recreated to further that goal, and to remove the jews from europe. In the following wars Israel gained territory. No other country besides Israel has ever been challenged about the legality of retaining territory gained through war. There is a definite double standard in that regard.

East Jerusalem is occupied Palestinian territory under International Law and is proposed to be the capital of a potential future Palestinian state. That's why "Arabs" are angry. People don't like being colonised.

Not familiar with a country called Ukraine then and a place called Crimea? Which is called an invasion but actually had a referendum.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 2:23 am

JohnPowell wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
I think going into ancient history just plays into the wrong hands.

Why so?

Because it gets into Biblical history and gives the impression that it is mostly to do with religion. It turns the man in the street off of the subject. The Bible isn't a history book and God isn't an estate agent. We can start from the beginning of the Zionist movement or from the 40's when Zionist terrorists were blowing up the British and even boats full of Jewish refugues from Europe. The Zionist colonisers removed hundreds of thousands of people from their homes, mass murdered, raped and destroyed villages. But in this Orwellian world, they are the victims.

I totally disagree that we shouldn't look into Biblical "history" , lemme explain you: because the average devout Protestant American always justified Israel' s foundation and actions by Biblical accounts! They don't care about the mass murder, rape and destruction because these are the same people who believe that Canaanites deserved to be exterminated - their moral values are on a totally different wavelength than secular people like me or you.

When I was a child/teen, I was used to frequent IRC chatrooms and the likes, these online places were always crowded by Americans, when I am asked from where I am and where my country is located they often bring up the topic of Israel conflict, and they ALWAYS justify it by the Bible.

"Jews are the original inhabitants there" , "it was their homeland before the exodus" , "You Arabs came after the Jews, it was theirs".

I was even told that I should be glad that Israel were 'nice' enough and didn't take all Lebanon as well because it's included in the Bible map of ancient Israel.
I learned later, that Israel is an integral part of many Protestant churches in America, hence this blind support for it - seriously, the root reason of Americans' support to Israel was religion, the Bible.

So we have to argue them with the same weapon, the Bible! Is the story in the Bible about Canaanite's total extermination is true? Are Lebanese, Palestinians and Syrians just newcomer "Arabs" , who took the place of Jews, or are we descendants of more ancient native peoples of this land?

As you can see, science proved the Bible is wrong on that account: https://news.nationalgeographic.com/201 ... chaeology/

The Canaanites are still here, in our genes and plenty of them too, and even the Bible admits they are the indigenous ones of the land before the Israelites - that if Israelites weren't originally Canaanites in the first place.

How Israel's journalism reacted to this scientific discovery?

With stupidity like this: https://www.timesofisrael.com/the-canaa ... o-lebanon/

The title they used is very misleading: "The Canaanites weren’t annihilated, they just ‘moved’ to Lebanon" - the study didn't talk anything about a 'move' , no study revealed about a Canaanite exodus from Palestine to Lebanon, the Canaanites were always been here in Phoenicia/Lebanon. Actually, the archeological evidences confirm that the very ancient Sidonians founded the ancient city of Tyr which is further south of Sidon, so some ancient Canaanites had actually migrated further south, not the other way around.

The reason why this author wrote this misleading title is not innocent, the study's results don't serve well the Israeli religious propaganda, he is trying to justify Israel's existence by Biblical account by claiming that there were no more Canaanites living in modern Israel even before waiting for a similar mass scale study to be done on modern Palestinians DNAs.
You can see in the comments of that article how much the Israelis and pro-Israel Americans rely on the Bible for everything related to Israel.

The religious Israeli-mindset also doesn't seem like to admit that Judaism in the Levant, at some point of history, was totally overshadowed by Christianity in popularity way before the birth of Islam - because this doesn't blend well with their mass ancient Jewish exodus propaganda.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 2:15 pm

I was talking about when trying to reach the man in the street, but yes fair point when it comes to dealing with the Christian right in the US.

I would say we could show them how Palestinian Christians are treated like dirt but they probably just see them as brown people.

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 2:17 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
The religious Israeli-mindset also doesn't seem like to admit that Judaism in the Levant, at some point of history, was totally overshadowed by Christianity in popularity way before the birth of Islam - because this doesn't blend well with their mass ancient Jewish exodus propaganda.
Very true. Propaganda also overshadows the fact that the British mandate was crafted specifically to cause the current problems in the Levant. In terms of realpolitik, it was a brilliant move to destroy all traces of the ottoman empire.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 4:10 pm

JohnPowell wrote:
I was talking about when trying to reach the man in the street, but yes fair point when it comes to dealing with the Christian right in the US.

I would say we could show them how Palestinian Christians are treated like dirt but they probably just see them as brown people.

Hey, if we don't give them the freedom to oppress someone else that means we're oppressing them, right? We can't take away their freedom to take away other people's freedom. /sarcasm