How do you feel about the word "quirky"?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2018, 6:27 pm

I sometimes get called this, and personally I don't mind it, but I know that there are some people out there who dislike being called such.

Usually when someone calls me "quirky", "wacky", or even "a bit strange", afterwards they are often quick to add "But in a good way though!" since they worry that I might take it badly or something.

I tend to find that when I ask why I come across this way, people often struggle to give one reason in particular, and if they do then answers vary.

Some have replied by saying it's because I'm "unusually expressive, genuine and open", whilst others say that I am "hard to read or understand".

Other times people have been unable to give a reason. "Is it my mannerisms?" "Not sure" "Hair?" "Er" "Sense of humour?" "I don't know, you just are". :|

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2018, 7:13 pm

I like being called "quirky." It means "eccentric" in a positive sense, to me.

I used to like a cartoon called "Wacky Races" when I was a kid.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2018, 11:20 pm

I like the word quirky. To me it means unusual, but in in a fun or interesting way. Never been actually called it, though.

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2018, 11:58 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I like being called "quirky." It means "eccentric" in a positive sense, to me.

You had a crush on Penelope.

I am fine with having quirks.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2018, 12:09 am

i think it's an apt way to describe many of the features of some people.

for more of my thoughts, read my column on autotrader.com/oversteer.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

27 Feb 2018, 4:43 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Me too but I barely remember anything about it. I should try looking it up online. Did you see the South Park ep doing a Wacky Races thing with Timmy & his handicar racing different cars :lol:
EDIT~ I'm DLing it now

I don't know if I ever been called quirky thou I have been called things like different, unique, crazy, screwed up in the head ect. I use the term quirky to describe characteristics that are a little odd, weird, different, unique ect that I find kinda cute & attractive in women.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2018, 12:21 pm

I don't really get called that but I don't think it would bother me any as I'd just assume it was a polite way of acknowledging they noticed I'm "different," and didn't want to say it in a negative light at all.

*shrug* Most of the people I'm around in my leisure time don't even really notice that I'm much different from any of them.. because where I hang out, EVERYONE IS f*****g WEIRD! :D No, for real. There are so many different types of eclectic funky people at the beach I spend as much time as possible at that every weirdo just blends in with the rest of the weirdos. 8)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2018, 12:33 pm

Nope...never saw the South Park episode. Weirdly, I've never seen South Park LOL. I'm one of the few people I've known who hasn't seen "The Godfather."

I liked Penelope Pitstop okay. She was a damsel....but really didn't need to be one LOL. She was like MacGyver sometimes. She was better in the 'Wacky Races" than in "The Perils of Penelope Pitstop." The Ant Hill Mob was cool in the "Perils."

Did you watch "Dastardly and Muttley in their Flying Machines," too? Sometimes, I used to call it "Stop the Pigeon."

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2018, 11:59 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Did you watch "Dastardly and Muttley in their Flying Machines," too? Sometimes, I used to call it "Stop the Pigeon."

Thanks for the earworm... :heart:

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

28 Feb 2018, 3:54 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Nope...never saw the South Park episode. Weirdly, I've never seen South Park LOL. I'm one of the few people I've known who hasn't seen "The Godfather."

I liked Penelope Pitstop okay. She was a damsel....but really didn't need to be one LOL. She was like MacGyver sometimes. She was better in the 'Wacky Races" than in "The Perils of Penelope Pitstop." The Ant Hill Mob was cool in the "Perils."

I never seen the Godfather either. I don't watch a whole lot of movies compared to the average person.

I don't really remember her.

I'm not sure if I watched it or not. I don't remember if I did but I could of. i just looked for those two spinoffs & am trying to DL em now :pirat:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 6:14 am

Its a silly thing to ask about.

"Quirky" means "different, odd, off center, etc". But in a neutral, good, and or even...an attractive way.

Folks say it to you to avoid saying words like "weird", or worse.

If folks say it you all of the friggin time then you must stand out as odd.

Sometimes when you hear the word applied to you its meant the way it means (odd in a neutral or even good way), but usually the person is biting their tongue because they wanna call you a "wierdo", but they opt to use "quirky" as a polite euphemism.

But used either way theyre doing you a favor by not using some nasty alternative word. So the word "quirky" itself is not the issue.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2018, 6:16 pm

*Before*

Me: Why do you call me weird anyway?

Friend: *pauses* On a trip to the library, you once went on a random tangent about how the carpet complements the indoor furnishings, except for a certain part of the library which had a different type of flooring. Just out of nowhere, when we walked in you just started talking about interior design.

Me: ...True, I mean, that's not that weird though, right? I just like admiring buildings.

Don't judge me. :lol:

Edit: To clarify it is not a strict library, they allow talking except in these zones called "quiet zones", but I wasn't in one of those sections.

Last edited by Lost_dragon on 27 Mar 2018, 7:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2018, 6:55 pm

I like the word; it's a good, non-judgmental way to denote someone with interesting and different mannerisms or behaviours. Plus, I like words that start with Q. But I do kind of have a negative association with it, because of people accusing self-diagnosers or people with unusual identities of "just trying to be quirky".

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2020, 10:39 am

I like it.

Nobody uses it in a bad way. Conformist types say 'weird' or 'odd'.

Quirky people call each other quirky.

People who don't have the guts to be quirky and long to have those guts call other people quirky.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2020, 2:25 pm

I wouldn't mind, like many 'other terms' for it; eccentric, unique, different...

Because I'm just very lenient. I don't even mind other 'lesser terms' like weird or odd.
Let alone 'less terms' like defiant, shameless...

Anyone could even call me 'more lesser terms' like crazy or mental.
I'd call them close-minded. Or a hypocrite. :P

An obsession or insistent with conformity -- would likely mean a person is compensating for something less conforming associated shame they like to dissociate from. :lol:

Many are just taught and are conditioned this way, and thought it's one way to harmonize.

I'd say it's not.
There's a very fine line between social conformity and social harmony.
The former is conditioned at large. Anyone with can blindly follow, and anyone with acting skills can pass.
The latter requires degrees of social-emotional aptitude and wisdom, and it goes both ways between conformists and non-conformists.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.