Teacher opens fire in class, one student hurt evacuating

Page 1 of 7 [ 107 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2018, 6:55 pm

Georgia teacher in custody after allegedly opening fire in classroom, police say

Quote:
A teacher has been taken into custody after allegedly firing at least one shot inside a Georgia high school classroom Wednesday, police said.

The Dalton Police Department identifed the teacher as Jesse Randall Davidson, 53, a social studies teacher who also does play-by-play announcements during the school's football games. He has been employed with the school since 2004.

Davidson was charged with aggravated assault, carrying a weapon on school grounds, terroristic threats, reckless conduct, possession of a gun during commission of a crime and disrupting public school, police said in a tweet.

Dalton High School was placed on lockdown and police confirmed no children were in any danger and there weren't any students inside the classroom at the time of the incident, they said. The school and the area surrounding it were evacuated. Police did not say what type of firearm was used but confirmed it was a handgun. The gun has been recovered.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2018, 6:57 pm

You beat me to it.

Anyways, this is obviously a shining example of why teachers should carry guns to school...right? Clearly teachers having guns on school property makes school so much safer. That is what this incident proves, what a great idea Trump.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2018, 7:17 pm

What in the name of ??? was he responding to, or did he think he was responding to?

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2018, 7:23 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
You beat me to it.

Anyways, this is obviously a shining example of why teachers should carry guns to school...right? Clearly teachers having guns on school property makes school so much safer. That is what this incident proves, what a great idea Trump.

It almost seems like he might've intentionally taken a fall to make the obvious point that anyone with a gun can be just as dangerous.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Nekomonster
Toucan
Toucan

28 Feb 2018, 7:52 pm

Anyone who honestly thinks teachers should have guns must have went to an amazing school or just got lucky with their classes. I thought everyone had at least one teacher they could think of (likely more) that they’ve had who definitely should not have a gun.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2018, 8:01 pm

Nekomonster wrote:
Anyone who honestly thinks teachers should have guns must have went to an amazing school or just got lucky with their classes. I thought everyone had at least one teacher they could think of (likely more) that they’ve had who definitely should not have a gun.

I was thinking the same thing.

modernmax
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2018, 8:15 pm

In my father's, grandfather's, and great grandfather's times, the teachers all had guns and students were never shot at. Surprise, no occupation has all perfect employees. One crazy teacher doesn't mean all of them are gonna cap their kids.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2018, 9:13 pm

The point is that we still probably shouldn't give them the ability, I don't doubt most people's ability to safely handle guns but most people are not at issue here.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2018, 9:20 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
You beat me to it.

And you beat me to it! That's what I would have said if you had not said it first.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2018, 9:23 pm

modernmax wrote:
In my father's, grandfather's, and great grandfather's times, the teachers all had guns and students were never shot at. Surprise, no occupation has all perfect employees. One crazy teacher doesn't mean all of them are gonna cap their kids.

Would YOU be willing to take a chance like this with one of your children? What if your son/daughter is among the unlucky, and ends up with that "one crazy teacher"?

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2018, 9:28 pm

Anyone who says their risk assessment is flawless is full of it. Does anyone actually buy the president's claim he would potentially saccrifice himself for kids he doesn't know? He's had bodyguards a lot longer than most other presidents for one thing.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2018, 9:42 pm

Hell people, there's even cops that shouldn't be armed.
:roll:

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2018, 11:25 pm

Just why do we trust a bunch of humans with weapons anyway?

Seems like a bad move, not that giving them to robots is going any better. 8O

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 1:15 am

Isn't it obvious that the problem at this school was that only ONE teacher had a gun. The solutions is ALWAYS more guns! Every one of the teachers and principal should have been packing! This way they keep each other in check and no one is likely to fire on anyone else.. and in the event that one of them loses it and draws their weapon like this guy did, all the other teachers could've shot him dead before he had a chance to even break that window. And then guns would have saved the day and there'd be a big parade the next day in appreciation for guns AND ammo and the school children would shout gleefully - some of them even able to hear one another through their gun range earplugs.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 5:20 am

^ Now you're on the right track!
:D

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 5:37 am