Do you feel like the odd one out on Wrong Planet?

Page 6 of 7 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2018, 11:39 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
Not every self-ID'ed person is married, works, has friends, etc. (i.e. me). And, I hope people aren't seeing those who do manage those things and automatically assuming that they're not professionally dx'ed. I just read a thread that (in part) sounded like, "if you aren't succeeding then it's all your fault." (The person saying that was dx'ed officially, BTW.) That has to discourage at least some people from posting about such 'basic' problems. Maybe there's always a "tyranny of the successful" in any group of humans?

no matter where you go, there is always gonna be a hierarchy of some kind, damned no-good human nature at work everywhere. :| the tyrannical successful full-of-themselves ones you can find places around here, are inescapable, they are everywhere but they tend to gravitate towards quasi-cloistered places where they can be "the big fish in a little pond" or "the big man on a little campus." and IMHO, anybody who would say such a cruel and ableist thing is deserving of the most profound oblivion. don't pay those people any mind, it only encourages them. it makes me mad just to think about it. :x

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2018, 10:14 am

^ Hear, hear!

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Ants
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Mar 2018, 2:07 pm

bethannny wrote:
It seems most people on this site are very high functioning and quite a few are employed, have families and are self diagnosed. That just seems somewhat I don't know... alienating to me.

I suppose its the diversity of humans mate. We're all different no matter how similar some of us here might be.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2018, 4:51 pm

I consider myself to be "moderate-functioning Asperger's" meaning that I'm still able to (mostly) live independently and work (with significant accommodations), but it's pretty obvious from interacting with me briefly that there's something different about me. I was diagnosed late too, at 21. My mom suspected autism from the time I was eight or nine, but didn't bother to pursue a diagnosis because she thought she knew what she was doing. I do sometimes feel a little alienated because a lot of my symptoms (stimming, meltdowns, social skills, etc.) seem considerably worse than others here, based on what people write.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2018, 5:57 pm

All the time. That's why I only post once in a blue moon.

smudgedhorizon
Toucan
Toucan

15 Mar 2018, 6:09 pm

That's complicated :mrgreen:

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2018, 6:37 pm

Honestly, I feel that way all the time. Not only am I the most gullible person here, but I am 30 and don't have a job. I have a lot of anger issues, which is why I have been pink-slipped in the past. And now that I think about it, I feel that I am the only person with PMDD, and the only person who works with Perler beads. It didn't help that I have different opinions on what kind of music and band is the best.

plokijuh
Toucan
Toucan

15 Mar 2018, 7:28 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
Not every self-ID'ed person is married, works, has friends, etc. (i.e. me). And, I hope people aren't seeing those who do manage those things and automatically assuming that they're not professionally dx'ed.

I just read a thread that (in part) sounded like, "if you aren't succeeding then it's all your fault." (The person saying that was dx'ed officially, BTW.) That has to discourage at least some people from posting about such 'basic' problems. Maybe there's always a "tyranny of the successful" in any group of humans?

I appreciate you pointing this out.

I'm professionally diagnosed, but also married and have a few friends, but it's very difficult for me to keep up those friendships and most people in my life just do not get me at all. I have two kids, and do not cope at all. Quite frankly, it makes me mad how judgmental people are about your coping level if you have kids. Let me tell you, what creates kids is not a capacity to cope. I happen to like sex, and can't take birth control because of mood and condoms aren't all that reliable, it would seem. I funnel all of my energy into trying to make things to work for my family, and I'm still a complete failure. Basically all of my responsibilities in life play to my weaknesses. I had a complete meltdown at my daughter's school the other day (whole body shaking, couldn't get whole words out...totally humiliating and horrible). I love my children more than anything, but there is not a single day at the moment where I don't feel like I'm walking through a confusing nightmare of sensory overload and executive dysfunction. Not to mention the sheer amount of social interaction my life requires. So fine, maybe I'm 'high functioning' or whatever, but my circumstances render me completely incapacitated a lot of the time.

I'm not angry at anyone in particular, but I'm so disappointed by how not-understanding people are on WP.

There are different kinds of hard. And I don't begrudge people their different experiences. I can see that from the outside my life might look normal. But talk to my husband, and you will get a different picture. Life isn't fair, and I am not sure having kids was a particularly wise thing, but I have them and I need to do the best with what I have. Plus my daughter probably has ASD so maybe I'm actually a good mother for her. I wish my mother had understood me.

AQ: 42 (Scores in the 33-50 range indicate significant Austistic traits)
RAADS-R: 165
RDOS: Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 159 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 44 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2018, 12:18 pm

I do. I'm probably pretty average for a female with what was once known as Asperger's. I know how to drive but it terrifies me so I never do it. I have always struggled socially, and never found it easy to make close friends. I can't live on my own though and have never been able to successfully have a job or pursue a post-high school education. I'm trying to find supported employment through disability services. I have most of the typical traits for someone with AS. My official diagnosis was HFA back in the day (when I was 3) and I might try to get re-evaluated but I don't know if there is much point in me doing that.

On WP, I do feel like an outsider and like a lot of people don't like me and that I annoy everybody because I don't stop talking about my special interests, but I think a few people here do like me and that's why I stay.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2018, 7:26 pm

I must admit, I have very mild Asperger's and I am very high-functioning. Some of my social skills have been natural all my life, others I had to learn the hard way (later than my peers).

But I've always hated my Asperger's, and always will. It reminds me of an isolating thing that conditions you to feel alone and an outsider, while everyone else around you is in a big bubble. It kind of makes me shudder. I'm not saying I feel alone or an outsider like a lot of Aspies might, but the word 'autism' just brings isolation and loneliness to mind, and I don't want to be associated with it. Lucky for me I can pass off as a quirky NT, although my ADHD seems to be becoming more obvious as I'm getting older. But for some reason I don't feel as angry about having ADHD as I do having Asperger's. I even tell people about ADHD and don't feel embarrassed, but I just can NOT bring myself to mention Asperger's. I do not know why.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2018, 9:18 pm

Starting to feel like it, as I have issues no one else here is facing.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2018, 8:57 am

bethannny wrote:
It seems most people on this site are very high functioning and quite a few are employed, have families and are self diagnosed. That just seems somewhat I don't know... alienating to me.

you're the majority of the WP population. The folks who make the most noise are the minority. And that minority is the more high functioning tip of the population iceberg.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2018, 9:27 am

naturalplastic wrote:
bethannny wrote:

you're the majority of the WP population. The folks who make the most noise are the minority. And that minority is the more high functioning tip of the population iceberg.

Are you calling me gobby :P

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard