Do you feel like the odd one out on Wrong Planet?

Page 1 of 7 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

bethannny
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Mar 2018, 3:32 pm

It seems most people on this site are very high functioning and quite a few are employed, have families and are self diagnosed. That just seems somewhat I don't know... alienating to me.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 4:33 pm

I admit, I am high-functioning, have a job, have a boyfriend, and I'm officially diagnosed with AS and ADHD. But I feel in a minority here when it comes to diagnosis, because it seems so many members here either aren't diagnosed at all, or are self-diagnosed, or got diagnosed later on in life. Because I am high-functioning and lack a lot of Aspie symptoms, plus I'm female, I still am trying to figure out how I didn't slip through the cracks at school like the majority of other Aspies here who are mild and female.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 4:35 pm

I consider myself pretty high-functioning now. I'm not married or seeing anyone, but I would like for that to happen someday. I worry though, that I may be too old and that I have missed too much life experience.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 4:43 pm

I'm not self-diagnosed, I was diagnosed medically. I don't have a job or a family of my own. But WP is the one place where I feel I belong. Maybe because I generally don't care if other people have jobs or families.

smudgedhorizon
Toucan
Toucan

01 Mar 2018, 4:45 pm

There are threads where non-verbal or low-verbal people post a lot. You may also want to check ''Not mild by any means'' thread.

bethannny
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Mar 2018, 5:08 pm

I would say this is a site geared towards the formerly ''Asperger's labeled'' population of the spectrum. The owner (Alex Plank) is extremely high functioning man on the spectrum and a business owner so it makes sense the site attracts other like minded people.

Unfortunately, there are quite a few of us who are not so lucky or able to cope well with our Autism.

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 5:36 pm

I do feel the odd one out often. I'm long term unemployed but also I feel other people here are often better at making each other laugh.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 5:51 pm

Frequently. I don't bother my arse too much. I find this place contains a lot of tedious chatter.

bethannny
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Mar 2018, 6:24 pm

fifasy wrote:
I do feel the odd one out often. I'm long term unemployed but also I feel other people here are often better at making each other laugh.

Yeah I noticed this too. mostly when I used to participate in sites like this years ago. When the supposedly ''Autistic'' people were much better at socializing with each other online than me it got a little depressing. This is why I tend to not come to these forums that much. If I'm going to use the internet I'll use it for mindless entertainment like watching soap operas rather than once again ''failing'' at social interaction even in the virtual world.

I do suspect that there is a subset of people on this site and other sites like it that are not even Autistic, just schizoid or something. Which would explain why some socialize with not very much trouble at all and have a mostly normal life.

bethannny
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Mar 2018, 6:35 pm

Also even beyond ''sites'' there is a video on Youtube called ''things not to say to an Autistic person'' with all these supposedly Autistic adults. Their behavior in the video went beyond ''passing'' - their social skills were pitch perfect as with their interactions with each other.

I am sorry, but there is no way even the highest functioning ''passing'' Autistic adult can socialize with no degree of difficulty. Even more troubling is a lot of these ''Asperger's advocates'' report no other symptoms other than being ''awkward'' which they clearly are not even that.

Something is clearly wrong with this picture.

Nickchick
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Mar 2018, 6:50 pm

I feel like the black sheep everywhere I go. This place is no different. In a way it doesn't bother me because I'm very much a loner but it's also frustrating when you are lost and need real guidance
This is for a different reason than you stated...just have qualities/beliefs or whatever that doesn't seem to mesh with either groups. I can connect with lots of people online but mostly on the surface.

It did take me a long time to get a job and it's still not the one I want or feel comfortable in. I have my mom but that's about all. We see my aunt once in a while but I'm not at all close with her.
I have been told what I already knew: that I'm hard to understand. I've been hurt a lot mostly because of my ineptness so I would say the things that I have gone through are definitely not normal at least when you consider the amount of it.

bethannny wrote:
Also even beyond ''sites'' there is a video on Youtube called ''things not to say to an Autistic person'' with all these supposedly Autistic adults. Their behavior in the video went beyond ''passing'' - their social skills were pitch perfect as with their interactions with each other.

I am sorry, but there is no way even the highest functioning ''passing'' Autistic adult can socialize with no degree of difficulty. Even more troubling is a lot of these ''Asperger's advocates'' report no other symptoms other than being ''awkward'' which they clearly are not even that.

They did seem very put together. Maybe they rehearsed it enough times but idk I couldn't talk in front of a camera like that. I wish I could. To be able to follow my dreams I need to be able to be comfortable putting myself out there but the idea always scared me. I had a hard enough time just responding to job ads.
I couldn't relate to that video myself but I forget why. I think it was some of their examples of things to say not to an autistic person.

Oh yeah also even though I am a writer I've been told by a few that though they liked what I had to say I wrote too much. I am trying to work on it but I often find myself too far off the tangent.

Last edited by Nickchick on 01 Mar 2018, 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 6:57 pm

if one didn't know me from adam, I "present well" for the first few seconds, then all the weird comes pouring out. :alien: I am in an uncomfortable in-between place, not just the "uncanny valley" - not being on public benefits, not on Pmeds but also not employable or dateable.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 7:02 pm

I was diagnosed in childhood so I can never relate to what other adult aspies go through when discovering AS and reading about it. I keep reading about burnouts and I haven't experienced it yet. I don't get exhausted using skills like most of them claim. I never went to college and I wouldn't have made it through school without any help. I don't have troubles with cleaning either. While it seems like other aspies have no issues finding work, I have issues finding work but I have no problems keeping a job while they would have problems keeping one. Maybe because I am very mild so everyone with it is going to have it worse than me. But they have their own issues while I have my own.

Quote:

If they are self diagnosed, you have a reason to question it. I wonder if I have body dysmorphia but I could just be insecured about my body.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

bethannny
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Mar 2018, 7:05 pm

Nickchick wrote:
I feel like the black sheep everywhere I go. This place is no different. In a way it doesn't bother me because I'm very much a loner but it's also frustrating when you are lost and need real guidance
This is for a different reason than you stated...just have qualities/beliefs or whatever that doesn't seem to mesh with either groups. I can connect with lots of people online but mostly on the surface.

It did take me a long time to get a job and it's still not the one I want or feel comfortable in. I have my mom but that's about all. We see my aunt once in a while but I'm not at all close with her.
I have been told what I already knew: that I'm hard to understand.

bethannny wrote:

They did seem very put together. Maybe they rehearsed it enough times but idk I couldn't talk in front of a camera like that. I wish I could. To be able to follow my dreams I need to be able to be comfortable putting myself out there but the idea always scared me. I had a hard enough time just responding to job ads.
I couldn't relate to that video myself but I forget why. I think it was some of their examples of things to say not to an autistic person.

Anyone who know's the spectrum well is aware that the Asperger's-type Autism is not even the majority and I'm not even sure if these people are anywhere at all on the spectrum. The truth is, most people with ASD are somewhere in the middle and DO have social skill deficits, communication issues and other distressing symptoms. Why not interview more people in this range? or even a diverse range showing all ends of the spectrum.

It's videos like this that are making people think the only Autism is the Asperger's type. I can't be the only one frustrated by this?

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 7:12 pm

Yes AND No. :lol: Because Autism is heterogeneous. So is humanity.

Yes: For various reasons beyond just being raised in a different culture, being less of a 'sufferer', and being too 'neutral'.

No: Because so are most members do feel the same way, just for different reasons from why I also feel that way.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Last edited by Edna3362 on 01 Mar 2018, 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AspieSingleDad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 7:13 pm

bethannny wrote:
Nickchick wrote:

I have been told what I already knew: that I'm hard to understand.

bethannny wrote:

Anyone who know's the spectrum well is aware that the Asperger's-type Autism is not even the majority and I'm not even sure if these people are anywhere at all on the spectrum. The truth is, most people with ASD are somewhere in the middle and DO have social skill deficits, communication issues and other distressing symptoms. Why not interview more people in this range? or even a diverse range showing all ends of the spectrum.

It's videos like this that are making people think the only Autism is the Asperger's type. I can't be the only one frustrated by this?

It's funny that you should say this because being a high functioning autistic without a job (attending college) and a widower, I feel like an outcast. I feel like there's nobody here who sorta matches my specifics. That's okay, it's nobody's fault, just a feeling I had.

I think, Bethany, that we all share a condition called Autism, but we all come from very different backgrounds. And as for those videos, those folks already know what they are going to say ahead of time and probably even rehearsed it. Don't feel like you are "different" from people like me who are different.