Do you feel like the odd one out on Wrong Planet?

Page 4 of 7 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Goldilocks
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Mar 2018, 6:17 pm

I understand your frustration but I understand it for different reasons.

For me there doesn't seem to be a lot of People of Colour on this site, there's a lot of guys, my self esteem isn't terrible, I've managed to have a few relationships in my life, before being diagnosed I experienced a lot of trauma, I'm also not just an outcast in British society but also my cultural community, I don't 'fit in' to or like the spaces (virtual or real life) that are apparently made for me.

Like one of the older women in this thread I 'look good' to an extent, so I've been exploited in more ways than one.

I can write very well about how I feel and dictate thoughts, concepts and ideologies but I struggle with personal conversations that last longer than 15 minutes.

Camouflaging isn't fun. Pretending to be an NT and going to an unknown place can leave me recuperating for 2 weeks. I feel like it's also why I fell into depression and became suicidal.

I live with my family but not every family is functional and friendly.

There are many reasons I've been diagnosed late, mostly because no one is checking for a black aspie or autistic girl that doesn't 'look slow'. No one cared enough.

I understand why you feel left out but isn't that the point of wrong planet? Aren't we all meant to feel left out together?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 6:38 pm

Tequila wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
The Kinks are well-liked for good reason.

They are timeless.

I love that song. It soothes me. It brings to my mind that quiet and peaceful garden where Sweet Peas grow.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 6:41 pm

The biggest misfit I ever met was the son of a black American GI stationed in Japan after WWII. He had been raised in Japan, and adopted all the classical mannerisms like a polite little bow, etc. despite sticking out like a very tall, brown thumb. Considered a foreigner even in Japan, he came to Toronto, where people expected him to know jive talk, or maybe Jamaican patois. It can happen even to NTs.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 6:55 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I probably would have benefited from meeting Esme when I was a young man....

I needed her "guiding light" then....

Aww... bless you. I might actually have managed to get my tired rear end off the couch long enough to get pizza or Indian food back then :-) and commiserate about shared weirdness (since nobody knew what we had then but damn, we sure had something!)

Hugs Kraftie!

@Kip, sorry I'm old. I didn't do it on purpose, it just kinda happened

and I'm teasing you, dear. (That's Katherine Hepburn as Eleanor of Aquitaine in The Lion In Winter. She didn't do it on purpose either. Eleanor, I mean. Or Katherine.)

Would you believe, I was actually intimidated by you at first? Because you are so damn smart? I'm serious!! !! ! I actually will open your posts to read what you think, on my way elsewhere. Maybe I ought to chime in more when I do that.

I actually looked up your username to find out what language it was. (Hungarian, yes?) This did nothing for the intimidation factor, but it did a lot for my optimism about "these kids today". You, Lego, Kura, Emma Gonzalez... 16 to 30. The world will be in better hands.

You are awesome, or whatever the young'uns say today that means the same thing.

@bethanny: Oh dear, this is starting to look/feel like some kind of contest. All right; you win, then. Not sure how that will help, though. :?

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Last edited by Esmerelda Weatherwax on 02 Mar 2018, 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 7:02 pm

Hi Bethanny, I DO want to know about your life. You have aroused my curiosity. I was nonverbal until age 5---an autistic person under the old definition of autistic. I'm relatively "okay" now.

Dear One: how could we give you some intellectual stimulation? I know I can't--because I'm not an engineer.

AceofPens
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Mar 2018, 7:19 pm

I do understand that frustration. I left the first autistic forum I discovered because everyone was so much higher functioning than I. Compared to that forum, WP is a veritable haven of diversity. It's certainly lonely to struggle more than the general population and then come into a sequestered place reserved for like-minded people, only to find that you're still one of the outliers. At least there are many figures to look up to here. Nothing gives me greater pleasure than seeing someone with similar issues finding their niche in life and thriving. Independence still seems like a far-off thing to me, but WP has helped me come to grips with my situation and understand what I need to do to move forward in life. It's been invaluable.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 7:23 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Dear One: how could we give you some intellectual stimulation? I know I can't--because I'm not an engineer.

These days, I'm a lot more interested in Sociobiology than mechanical engineering. I was trying to get something going over on the Men's thread, but got no resonance.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 7:28 pm

Not too many people go to the Men's Thread.

You'll do better with some of the people on PPR. You have some jerks there, though, who just want to create an argument.

And even in General Autism Discussion. There's lots of "sociobiology" being discussed there. After all, autism is biological---and it affects people socially.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 7:45 pm

Hey Goldilocks:

There are more "people of color" here than you think.

I'm a white guy who is married to a black person from Trinidad.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 7:50 pm

Kraftie, I did not know that! You rock! As does your wife!

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 7:55 pm

I just wish she would understand me better.

She's one of those people who thinks I just "make excuses," and thinks I should make an attempt to be social.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 7:57 pm

i feel a bit wrong on being here as i don't have a diagnosis and i just found joined the forum because a friend [who his psychologist was investigating where he had or no aspergers] told me that he felt i could have it, he insisted that i seek psychological help because i struggle with lots of things, and actually this is something i heard all my life but never got it because my parents were against it. also, once long ago, i did an aspie quiz on internet and got a very high result, but i know isn't a reliable source. anyway, i found the forum searching about aspergers anyway and i liked it and decided to join. i hope you don't mind it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 8:03 pm

Anybody who has a positive view of autism is welcome here.

Alex is not out there asking for "proof" that one is autistic.

We have parents of autistic people, children of autistic people, friends of autistic people---you name it.

And we have many people who are "self-diagnosed" and are not officlally diagnosed.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 8:07 pm

anyway, sometimes i wanted to have some diagnosis because it would somehow make me feel like i belong to something or at least make me able to understand myself, i'm not sure what it is but i'm sure there is something really wrong with me :/ i just can't find professional help

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 8:09 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I just wish she would understand me better.

She's one of those people who thinks I just "make excuses," and thinks I should make an attempt to be social.

That can be painful. Been there...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 8:14 pm

People in the West Indies tend to be communal people, rather than people who value individuality.

She's fine in other ways; but she's always trying to browbeat me because she feels I lack "focus."

She always says, "Can't you get your head out of that tablet for even a moment?"