Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 11:37 pm

I have always found group work and team work challenging whether it be for school projects, church clubs, or parent organizations.

I have noticed that there are always people in the group that want to hog up all the stuff that a group is supposed to do. When my sister was in band, there were a few band parents that wanted to do all the fundraising activities for the band themselves. Other band parents wanted to help, but the core group of band parents wouldn't let them. The core group of band parents would complain later on that nobody wanted to help and that they had to do everything themselves.

There were times when I didn't feel like an equal in some of the groups I was in for school projects. I also find that there is a lot of competiveness within groups.

What are your experiences with group work? What do you find challenging about it?

Razupaltuf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Mar 2018, 3:09 pm

I hate group work, it is way less efficient than solo work

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 4:27 pm

I don't mind group work. It means I have to do less thinking and not feel fully responsible if a mistake is made. However, depending on what the task is, I sometimes like to just get on with it on my own and get lost in my own thoughts and take my time (if it isn't a time-consuming task). If it's a difficult and/or time-consuming task, I prefer others to work with.

At school I didn't mind working in groups but sometimes I ended up not doing anything because the kids in my group sort of left me out and so the project got boring for me. But it depended on whom was in my group.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 7:20 pm

The increase in popularity of group work is a bad thing for autistic people.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 9:24 pm

I am in charge! Everyone must do what I say! Unless someone else knows the task better. Then I only do what I am told...

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 9:25 pm

At uni, I had group projects twice. The first time it sucked because half the group wouldn't turn up sometimes and I would be left with all the work.

The second time it was with different people and a different subject and everyone turned up to every lesson. Plus I got a few tips and tricks from the others that made my assignment a lot better. It was about Conversation Analysis. I ended up getting a very good grade for it.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2018, 7:32 am

Depends. Usually, depending on how much I knew and how huge the group is.

If there's too much to take account, I may not do well no matter what role it is.
If I were the leader, it won't be simple since the role itself takes accounts of too many. Other than not liking the idea of managing people... :lol:

If my role is simple, I may do it well. But not too 'lowly' like some false task of a messenger. Otherwise, I may not do it willingly -- might as well would rather to get kicked out of said group.

If my task happened to be specialized, I may do well with enough info no matter how heavy the work it'll be.

But if it's all about initiating one's own roles and responsibilities, leading would be the last thing in my mind. And, I'll be clueless with little to nothing to do because nothing being clear to me other than the objective.
This, happens too often -- and for that, I would rather go solo.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2018, 7:45 am

If it's a group task in which I have a defined role, that I can handle. But "brainstorming" and anything similar to it is where I utterly fail and end up feeling useless.

apus apus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Mar 2018, 7:46 am

Mudboy wrote:
I am in charge! Everyone must do what I say! Unless someone else knows the task better. Then I only do what I am told...

Same!

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2018, 10:22 pm

I agree team work is hard for me.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2018, 10:34 pm

Team work sucks, but then again, isn’t its whole point to suck?

Team work: if you’re more interested than me in getting the work done, you do all the work like a moron while I laugh at you in your face. Well, unless you can intimidate me into doing it instead, of course—then you can abuse me as much as you want, just like in any other situation in life.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.