I could use some encouragement RE: P.T. Clinicals

Page 4 of 7 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2018, 5:31 am

This sounds like a good way of learning. If you have any areas of particular concern you might get someone else to ask those questions. I hate to look stupid so if I get a question wrong in front of someone, no way would I not remember how and get it right the next time.

AspieSingleDad
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2018, 9:44 pm

I wish I had somebody who could work with me when I study. The 2018 class I was a part of was a bunch of extremely serious students who each had small groups of friends. It was very cliquey. The class that graduated the year before us, and the current class that will graduate in May 2019 were much closer with each other. And in case I thought it had something to do with *me* and my autism, when I interacted with the 2017 and 2019 class, they were always extremely friendly to me and we could kid around and they'd offer to assist me. I guess I just was a part of a dud class. It's ashame because I was hoping my time studying Physical Therapy would also be a time for some structured socialization.

Anyway, I've been studying quite a bit. I've got through about 275 questions so far, added them into Quizlet, and also broke them down into smaller flash cards so I can learn the material bit by bit. I'm making sure they are all structured under folders and then subtopics so I get that beautiful top down learning system that autistics do so well with. So far, so good.

Oh yeah, I got rear ended last Friday and found out today that my car was totaled. I was hoping to get another 1 or 2 years out of it. They'll give me $4072 and hopefully I'll find a replacement car that will suffice for that same period of time (maybe even longer).

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2018, 2:35 am

Well done, keep your stamina up and remember to look after yourself and eat well!

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2018, 1:35 pm

I am looking into this top down learning system you have mentioned. Is it like the memory thing where the mind is a palace with many rooms?

AspieSingleDad
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2018, 6:16 pm

fluffysaurus wrote:
I am looking into this top down learning system you have mentioned. Is it like the memory thing where the mind is a palace with many rooms?

It's nothing special. It's just a term for learning from the broadest part of a topic and then working your way to more specific, like an outline. So for me it'd be like:

Integumentary System
Layers of the skin
Layers of the skin impacted by Level III burn
Name of Level III burn
Treatment for level III burn
Positions of patient for level III burn
Etc.

I'd learn from the broadest part of the subject and work my way to more specific. That would help me understand that topic to the fullest and prepare me for any types of questions about that particular subject.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2018, 2:01 pm

Thank you for explaining. I am going to give this a try.

I have been using the 'mentally write it down on a scrap of paper, put it on the big pile of scraps of paper in the middle of my brain, and then when I need the info, rummage frantically through whole pile unable to find anything system. Your system looks better.

AspieSingleDad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2018, 8:17 pm

So I gotta tell you, the amount of material I need to learn is absolutely incredible. The therapy instructors warned us the boards would be hard, but I still feel like I've underestimated the difficulty. I have a study book that I'm working off that has the bulk of the information I need to learn in one place, and with concise detail, and the book is exactly 1,000 pages. I feel like I can do well with the pathology and neuromuscular aspect of the test, but I'm struggling with the musculoskeletal side because of my spacial issues and poor memory.

I'm trying to look at this from the positive side which is, if I fail this test on July 10th, at least I got an extremely good head start towards passing it in October. Trouble is, I'll be moved to Florida at that point, and I'll be way more secure if I can drive to Florida with the ability to practice physical therapy. I'm now completely financially strapped.

Not to mention, I'm worried about my application to get a title for my car so I can claim insurance on the rear ending of my car. I also would like to sell my home, etc. Yeah, there's a lot going on. Even an NT would be stressed. Actually, some my NT classmates have posted on Facebook how stressed they are (before I even went on Facebook to complain about the same thing).

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2018, 5:01 pm

Divide the material up into 30 equal portions and that's how much you have to study every day. What is that - 33 pages a day? That's doable.

Are there any practice tests available based on prior years? If so, I would advise taking them so that you aren't as shocked when you sit for the real test. It's helpful for timing, as well as getting a sense of your strengths and weaknesses in terms of taking this test (which is not always the same as your real world strengths and weaknesses).

Also, as you study, make notes of topics you are shaky on, and review them.

Yes, you have a lot going on but with discipline, you can do it. Good luck!

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2018, 6:18 pm

You can do it. Bea's suggestions are great. There were actual practice tests when I got my RN in NY. You paid for it, went to the testing site and took a practice test. I hope they have something like that for you to do. When I had to study bones and muscles, I made flash cards out of 3x5 index cards of every single one I needed to know. Making your own cards works better (for me anyway) than using pre made study guides. The act of organizing and writing the cards is part of the learning process and welds it better into the brain. Good luck.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2018, 7:51 pm

I totally agree with blazingstar on the flash card approach. I also made my own on 3x5 cards.

A second advantage to them is you can go through them at non-peak-alertness times, such as riding the bus, watching tv, or before going to bed (unless that messes up your sleep). You can keep a stack by the toilet for reading material, or on the kitchen table for while you are eating breakfast.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2018, 11:42 am

BeaArthur wrote:
I totally agree with blazingstar on the flash card approach. I also made my own on 3x5 cards.

A second advantage to them is you can go through them at non-peak-alertness times, such as riding the bus, watching tv, or before going to bed (unless that messes up your sleep). You can keep a stack by the toilet for reading material, or on the kitchen table for while you are eating breakfast.

^^^^ Exactly. I had forgotten about that aspect...carrying them everywhere and looking at them whenever. Your memory is better than mine, Bea :D :D I think I remember that putting that information into "other" than study times also somehow helped with retention...

AspieSingleDad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2018, 4:30 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
Divide the material up into 30 equal portions and that's how much you have to study every day. What is that - 33 pages a day? That's doable.

Are there any practice tests available based on prior years? If so, I would advise taking them so that you aren't as shocked when you sit for the real test. It's helpful for timing, as well as getting a sense of your strengths and weaknesses in terms of taking this test (which is not always the same as your real world strengths and weaknesses).

Also, as you study, make notes of topics you are shaky on, and review them.

Yes, you have a lot going on but with discipline, you can do it. Good luck!

This is sort of what I’m doing. I paid extra for this online course that takes me through an incredible amount of material that I need to study. It works in conjunction with the study book (same company made both) and it has me read specific material and then review it with videos and then answer multiple choice questions.

I double checked how well things are going by taking a random 100 question test from an App I purchased. These 100 questions come from a pool of 575 questions I already took about 2 weeks go. The cool thing is the material I’ve already covered was extremely helpful with many of the questions I encountered. Actually many of the ones I would have been guessing on 2 weeks ago. I also remembered some of the questions as well and got 80/100 right. That’s a big improvement over 65/100 considering I only covered a portion of the material so far.

So I guess I’m feeling like I have hope. But, I have a major headache which I guess is to be expected.....

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2018, 6:16 pm

Take two aspirin and call me in the morning.

:)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2018, 6:17 pm

I think you'll do fine, Aspie Single Dad.

I sense that you'll get 80% easily.

AspieSingleDad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2018, 1:06 pm

So, just wanted to give an update on everything so at least I sort of “matter” or have a “connection”. I delayed my physical therapy boards until 10/03 which was a good move because I had so much going on. I’m pretty sure I detailed in here at home point an offer from my uncle to have me move into a condo in Florida. Well, I made the move like 4 days ago and I’m beginning to really get situated.

Right now I’m hanging out with my son at the Jacksonville Florida Public Library, main branch which I guess is quite the autistic thing to do? I’m also working on getting my documentation together so I can get my driver’s license, etc. and my car registered, etc.

Obviously I have a lot of work to do in order to do such as studying for a test, etc. However, I feel like I’m in pretty good shape for the most part. I have a small amount of cash in the bank, and I have social security income, etc. So I hope things will be somewhat less stressful over here which will allow me to focus on studying for my test and then finding a job. I’m hoping this will also allow me to build my life back up so I’m not always feeling so stressed and vulnerable.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2018, 2:08 pm

That all sounds pretty good. So, you have all of August and September to study. Don't postpone your exam again though, as the further out of school you get, the more remote your memories of your training.