Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

franklin.jr
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Mar 2018, 12:50 am

It's always the same.

I always do my best in my job, but in a matter of months (it rarely passes one year), I always get fired and, what a surprise, I'm always blamed for the situation.

Now I have bills to pay, my own personal expenses with therapies, life, health plan, etc., and no idea on how I'm going to pay it because I live alone. Worse than that, I live in Brazil, a country where there are few jobs available and unemployment skyrocketed due to an awful crisis which effects we still endure. And now, unless a surprise happens, it seems to me I will be forced to move to another city due to lack of jobs. Wish I don't need to do it because my family, my therapies, etc., they are all here near me and I don't feel like restarting from zero in a new country.

I am a very creative, dynamic and proactive Oracle developer who enjoys finding new ways to automate tasks so work becomes easier and more productive. But, whenever I enter a new field, I need clear explanations on what must be done so I can perform better and quicker.

Any guidance on these topics will be greatly appreciated. My resume is available in both english and brazilian portuguese. What I need to know is about:

- Remote jobs for an experienced (since 1999) Oracle developer.
- Remote jobs in an entry/junior level for an experienced software developer who's eager to learn something new.
- Remote jobs in a company where ASD patients are welcome (but I prefer not to disclose this particular issue to employers).

I am used to this very bad feeling, this sadness. I always expect it will happen to me whenever I enter a new job position, but at the same time it seems I am never prepared to feel this pain, and always it hurts so much.

Please, I need help. Again, I need help. Please help me if you can.

Thanks in advance.

EyeDash
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Mar 2018, 5:57 pm

I was a manager for years and did job interviews as well as supervised software engineers. Working remotely is a bit of a harder sell. If you can substantiate that you've successfully worked remotely before and give some detail about the practical advantages and disadvantages of it, that would likely help with any concerns the employer might have. And both when I've interviewed at places and when I've interviewed job candidates, I find a good approach is to focus on what the candidate can do to help the employer and how that has been done in prior employment. I imagine that would apply to Brazil as much as in the US, although every company has a somewhat different corporate culture. I'm sorry to hear about the scarcity of jobs where you are - I've read about the economic problems Brazil is going through.

If it helps at all, I worked for 40 years and always had a bad feeling when starting a new job or when working on a new project. It was as if I had to prove myself all over again and because of my autism I had to put in tremendous effort at the start to understand the tasks and the systems I worked on and to get a feel for the expectations of senior people on the project. And I would struggle because I didn't have a solid grounding to start and also because it's hard for me to know when it was appropriate to go to others for help or even to ask technical questions. Sometimes I would work and work and work at an issue, not wanting to bother coworkers, only to find that the issue was simply resolved through a quick question and the coworker didn't mind one bit.

franklin.jr

07 Mar 2018, 1:25 am

EyeDash wrote:
I was a manager for years and did job interviews as well as supervised software engineers. Working remotely is a bit of a harder sell. If you can substantiate that you've successfully worked remotely before and give some detail about the practical advantages and disadvantages of it, that would likely help with any concerns the employer might have. And both when I've interviewed at places and when I've interviewed job candidates, I find a good approach is to focus on what the candidate can do to help the employer and how that has been done in prior employment. I imagine that would apply to Brazil as much as in the US, although every company has a somewhat different corporate culture. I'm sorry to hear about the scarcity of jobs where you are - I've read about the economic problems Brazil is going through.

If it helps at all, I worked for 40 years and always had a bad feeling when starting a new job or when working on a new project. It was as if I had to prove myself all over again and because of my autism I had to put in tremendous effort at the start to understand the tasks and the systems I worked on and to get a feel for the expectations of senior people on the project. And I would struggle because I didn't have a solid grounding to start and also because it's hard for me to know when it was appropriate to go to others for help or even to ask technical questions. Sometimes I would work and work and work at an issue, not wanting to bother coworkers, only to find that the issue was simply resolved through a quick question and the coworker didn't mind one bit.

Thanks for your words, I'll take them into consideration for sure, and sorry about my delay to answer you. I am still trying to find something.

What bothers me most in my professional career is that in most of the situations I get fired after some months. Completing 1 year at the same job is unbelievable to me, sometimes I feel something strange on people around me but I cannot explain it because I don't think I've done anything wrong, I don't think I hurt somebody and I don't harass or even touch people so I usually don't understand why I am being ignored by my colleagues. Usually I am fired after 1 month... But I never forgot one occasion when I was fired after just 8 days with no explanation, it was an awful moment, I was so shocked I shouted and became pale. It's so hard for me to develop long-term plans because my professional instability never gives me a chance to think on my next steps.

If anyone else can tell me similar stories, please share it with me, especially if you were able to overcome your professional instability and how.

I need help.