Speech and language issues in aspergers toddlers

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2018, 4:40 pm

Hi I have a 35-month-old son who`s on the waiting list to be officially assessed for ASD.

My question – Leaving aside the fact that Asperger’s doesn’t “officially exist” anymore, the difference between that and autism is they say you can’t have a speech and language delay with Asperger’s.

However, if you google Asperger’s symptoms in toddlers, speech & language problems like echolalia comes up frequently which is obviously a speech problem.

So, either aspie toddlers don’t have any problems with echolalia and repeating back phrases in which case many of these sites are wrong, not to mention how could an aspie 3-year-old be diagnosed so young with so little to go on.

Or what do they mean by no speech and language problems?

I’m trying to work out where my son may be on the spectrum. He`s verbal with a great vocabulary, good eye contact, affectionate and social to his family and seems interested in his same age peers (mentions their names regularly at home) but can’t quite reach out to them in a social way at nursey.

However, he has a lot of ASD symptoms, hand flapping, some toe walking, very poor attention span, doesn’t always respond to name and above all a lot of echolalia.

- George Bernie Shaw