First autistic Division I basketball player gives speech

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2018, 2:40 am

First Division I basketball player with autism gives speech at Adams Middle School

Quote:
Anthony Ianni presented his message of encouragement Monday to the students at Adams Middle School.

Ianni was diagnosed at the age of 4 with pervasive developmental disorder, a type of autism.

“When I was 5 years old, a group of doctors and professionals told my parents these words in a private meeting,” Ianni said. ”They said, ‘Sir, ma’am, because your son has this type of autism, basically don’t expect him to do much or be much in life.’”

The doctors told Ianni’s parents that he would barely graduate from high school, would never graduate from college, would never have a shot at being an athlete and would likely live in a group institution for his adult life.

“As a freshman in high school, I wanted to prove those people and the other doubters and naysayers I had in my life wrong,” Ianni said. “Every single day was a challenge, but I had great teachers, whose sacrifice and support meant a lot to me and helped me get through those challenges.”

Not only did he earn his bachelor’s degree in sociology from Michigan State University, he is the first known athlete with autism to play Big Ten basketball. Ianni played for legendary coach Tom Izzo while at MSU. He won two Big Ten championships and a Big Ten tournament title. He received the 2011 Tim Bograkos Walk On Award and the 2012 Unsung Player Award. He was also a member of the 2010 Final Four team.

“Bullying can affect everybody today, including people with autism,” Ianni said. “A stat most people don’t know is that 65 to 90 percent of kids with autism are the prime target for bullies. I myself was one of those victims when I was younger, and it continued until I was a freshman in high school.”

He said after hearing the statistics, he decided to take action. Ianni travels the country as a motivational speaker and anti-bullying advocate.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2018, 4:29 pm

Great story! Congratulations to Anthony Ianni! Never count anyone out!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2018, 11:35 am

He was not one to let "statistics" deter him....