Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2018, 11:03 am

No, I can't even stand the smell.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2018, 2:23 pm

Nope. I did try out a cigarette once - but that's as much smoking as I've ever done, and I intend for it to stay at that.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2018, 10:36 pm

Tequila wrote:
Chronos wrote:
No. The scent of cigarette smoke makes me ill and given the nature of it, health effects and cost, I don't understand why people even start.

It shouldn't. The intensity is a problem, but that's something that's enforced.

Regardless of whether or not you think it should or shouldn't, it does.

Tequila wrote:
Chronos wrote:
I've only known one person who succumbed to the effects of smoking and tobacco products who didn't regret their habit. Most people who develop related cancers, emphysema, COPD, hear problems and vascular problems as a result of tobacco products are pretty uncomfortable in the later stages of their disease.

If I were evil, I would invest in tobacco products.

This is a secular, medical variation of punishing people for sins committed in life. It is redolent of organised religion.

No, this is merely what my experiences have been with people who have developed terminal health issues due to smoking.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2018, 10:39 pm

RainbowUnion wrote:
Chronos wrote:
RainbowUnion wrote:
Chronos wrote:
No. The scent of cigarette smoke makes me ill and given the nature of it, health effects and cost, I don't understand why people even start.

There are always smokers who proclaim they are completely considerate of others when they smoke...my aunt would even go so far to ask people for permission to smoke in hervown house when she had comoany, which was commendable, but often, their measures are not enough, and enough smokers are inconsiderate or unaware the impact of their habit on others such that it is problematic.

At my university, smoking was banned except in pre designated smoking areas, and in these areas, and in outdoor areas where smoking was not permitted and signs were posted indicating thus, the ground was littered with cigarette butts.

I've only known one person who succumbed to the effects of smoking and tobacco products who didn't regret their habit. Most people who develop related cancers, emphysema, COPD, hear problems and vascular problems as a result of tobacco products are pretty uncomfortable in the later stages of their disease.

I live alone, I don't smoke at work or indoor public places, and pipe smoking rarely contributes to any of what you listed other than mouth cancer. You don't inhale the smoke. As for mouth cancer, yeah, I know my risk is higher than a non smoker.

My cat had mouth cancer. Obviously he wasn't a tobacco user. It may have been from a combination of a poor immune system, a papilloma virus, gum inflammation and a canned food diet with tuna containing catfoods. It ate away his mouth from the inside and I didn't realize the extent of it (because cats aren't very keen on having their mouths pryed open) until he started breathing heavily and his nose started bleeding.

It had eaten through the roof of his mouth in to his nose and had spread up in to his facial bones and behind his eye. The primary treatment for oral squamous cell carcinomas is excising the affected area and radiation, but to excise them properly, wide margens must be removed and cats don't have large enough of a face for that unless the cancer is caught very early or it's in the lower jaw.

In humans they can excise but sometimes the wound left is too big to heal and the person succumbs to complications from that.

The unfortunate thing is, the rest of my cat's body was fine. It was not like with my dog where it was metastatic cancer.

It was a wound that worsened and grew rather than healed and he could no longer eat and his pain could no longer be managed. At some point I imagine it would have breached his brain cavity and he would have succumbed to infection but it never got to that point.

I'm just going to be very straight foward here. It's a dumb cancer to have to die of because it is often preventable and often kills by local invasion of the face and skull and throat, and your love of your pipe will likely seem a silly and insignificant thing if you get it. Even if you survive you may be left without the sense of taste or smell and the ability to enjoy your pipe so why not just get rid of the tobacco now and increase your odds of maintaining a normal life?

If you eat a Western diet, odds are you will die of a heart attack more than any other cause. I'm not going to quit KFC either. Like I posted, I know people who lived like monks health wise and still got cancer and heart problems. You don't get out of this world alive any way you slice it. As for my smoking, it helps me concentrate. Bottom line.

If you did develop oral cancer from it, would it have been well worth it to you?

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 10:47 am

Tequila wrote:
Chronos wrote:

Chronos wrote:

This is a secular, medical variation of punishing people for sins committed in life. It is redolent of organised religion.

Agreed. Also, he/she seems to think that he/she should be able to tell people what to do in their personal lives.

"It must be understood, that neither by word nor deed had I given Fortunato cause to doubt my good-will. I continued as was my wont, to smile in his face, and he did not perceive that my smile was at the thought of his immolation."

Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 10:49 am

Chronos wrote:
RainbowUnion wrote:
Chronos wrote:
RainbowUnion wrote:
Chronos wrote:

There are always smokers who proclaim they are completely considerate of others when they smoke...my aunt would even go so far to ask people for permission to smoke in hervown house when she had comoany, which was commendable, but often, their measures are not enough, and enough smokers are inconsiderate or unaware the impact of their habit on others such that it is problematic.

At my university, smoking was banned except in pre designated smoking areas, and in these areas, and in outdoor areas where smoking was not permitted and signs were posted indicating thus, the ground was littered with cigarette butts.

I live alone, I don't smoke at work or indoor public places, and pipe smoking rarely contributes to any of what you listed other than mouth cancer. You don't inhale the smoke. As for mouth cancer, yeah, I know my risk is higher than a non smoker.

My cat had mouth cancer. Obviously he wasn't a tobacco user. It may have been from a combination of a poor immune system, a papilloma virus, gum inflammation and a canned food diet with tuna containing catfoods. It ate away his mouth from the inside and I didn't realize the extent of it (because cats aren't very keen on having their mouths pryed open) until he started breathing heavily and his nose started bleeding.

It had eaten through the roof of his mouth in to his nose and had spread up in to his facial bones and behind his eye. The primary treatment for oral squamous cell carcinomas is excising the affected area and radiation, but to excise them properly, wide margens must be removed and cats don't have large enough of a face for that unless the cancer is caught very early or it's in the lower jaw.

In humans they can excise but sometimes the wound left is too big to heal and the person succumbs to complications from that.

The unfortunate thing is, the rest of my cat's body was fine. It was not like with my dog where it was metastatic cancer.

It was a wound that worsened and grew rather than healed and he could no longer eat and his pain could no longer be managed. At some point I imagine it would have breached his brain cavity and he would have succumbed to infection but it never got to that point.

I'm just going to be very straight foward here. It's a dumb cancer to have to die of because it is often preventable and often kills by local invasion of the face and skull and throat, and your love of your pipe will likely seem a silly and insignificant thing if you get it. Even if you survive you may be left without the sense of taste or smell and the ability to enjoy your pipe so why not just get rid of the tobacco now and increase your odds of maintaining a normal life?

If you eat a Western diet, odds are you will die of a heart attack more than any other cause. I'm not going to quit KFC either. Like I posted, I know people who lived like monks health wise and still got cancer and heart problems. You don't get out of this world alive any way you slice it. As for my smoking, it helps me concentrate. Bottom line.

If you did develop oral cancer from it, would it have been well worth it to you?

What you posted about your cat is pretty much my point entirely. The cat certainly didn't smoke, and it still got oral cancer. In the end, my likelihood of dying is pretty much the same as a non smoker.

"It must be understood, that neither by word nor deed had I given Fortunato cause to doubt my good-will. I continued as was my wont, to smile in his face, and he did not perceive that my smile was at the thought of his immolation."

smudgedhorizon
Toucan
Toucan

11 Mar 2018, 10:58 am

Do you schmuck?

:lol:

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 11:04 am

Chronos wrote:
Tequila wrote:
Chronos wrote:

Tequila wrote:
Chronos wrote:

No, this is merely what my experiences have been with people who have developed terminal health issues due to smoking.

Really? You seem to me to be one of the non smokers who wants tobacco to be illegalized, and who secretly wants all of us to use it to be put in camps. I know them because I've encountered them before. Like I said, the negative health effects of a typical western diet are far more dangerous than a pipe in the morning, so are you advocating the illegalization of fried chicken and red meat?

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 2:26 pm

RainbowUnion wrote:
Chronos wrote:
Tequila wrote:
Chronos wrote:

Tequila wrote:
Chronos wrote:

Really? You seem to me to be one of the non smokers who wants tobacco to be illegalized, and who secretly wants all of us to use it to be put in camps. I know them because I've encountered them before. Like I said, the negative health effects of a typical western diet are far more dangerous than a pipe in the morning, so are you advocating the illegalization of fried chicken and red meat?

My experiences and observations of the aforementione mentioned situations are what they independent of my feelings on tobacco.

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2018, 3:28 pm

What a way to dodge the issue.

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2018, 3:39 pm

One of my favorite shirts has Einstein smoking his pipe, and out of the pipe instead of smoke is a nebula. Einstein never got mouth cancer.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2018, 3:53 pm

Yep, I breathe in all sorts of s**t people throw into the air, including tobacco smoke. Considering the alternative is to suffocate to death, the choice is a no-brainer.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2018, 4:05 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
Yep, I breathe in all sorts of s**t people throw into the air, including tobacco smoke. Considering the alternative is to suffocate to death, the choice is a no-brainer.

Thing is, I agree with not exposing people to my smoke in any kind of a public venue. So, I use it only in my home or in well ventilated public places such as parks where I'm not intruding in on anyone.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2018, 8:24 pm

RainbowUnion wrote:
What a way to dodge the issue.

How so?

PlanarFracture
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Mar 2018, 8:33 pm

I used to smoke, then I stopped, then I started again. :| Currently: yes I smoke, but will probably attempt to quit again, soon. Maybe I need to look at more pictures of diseased lungs or perhaps get nicotine patches.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2018, 8:50 pm

RainbowUnion wrote:
Tequila wrote:
Chronos wrote:

Chronos wrote:

Agreed. Also, he/she seems to think that he/she should be able to tell people what to do in their personal lives.

Technically most people can. But telling someone to do something and them doing it are two different things. But I'm curious where you came by your impression as I don't believe I've told you what to do in your personal life with respect to this matter.