Do you hate having to say "Here" during attendance?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

coalminer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Mar 2018, 8:31 am

Even though it's just one word, I usually stutter a bit when I try to say it (probably because it starts with a soft sound), and my voice isn't very loud. So sometimes I'll manage to get it out only for the teacher to not hear me, and I have to say it louder just so I don't get marked absent. And sometimes when there's a substitute, they don't hear me at all and my classmates have to tell them that I'm present.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 2:13 am

No, I didn't, but then again most of my teachers only took attendance that way the first few times before they learned who was who. After that they just scanned the class on their own and marked those who were absent.

Nekomonster
Toucan
Toucan

21 Mar 2018, 6:07 pm

Doesn't bother me, though I only have to do it regularly in one class. I think kids who say "Present" or "Yep" are more annoying.

valholla
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 May 2018, 5:35 am

Yes, I detest it! In the rare occasion when a professor takes attendance I'll practice the word in my mind because I hate saying it so much!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2018, 5:57 am

Just say the word "PRESENT!" instead. Means the same darn thing, but it starts with a stronger sound.

Kinda relate for an odd reason. Years ago I had somekind problem with saying words that start with H (maybe I smoking too much weed back then and it weakened my lungs) but it was hard to tell check out salesclerks my last name (which starts with an H), and they would keep mishearing it. Hasn't been a problem lately. Dunno why.

Wabuu
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 May 2018, 3:41 am

I've been out of school since 2002 but yeah I always hated that. I was in plain sight, why couldn't the teacher simply look and see that I was there?

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2018, 10:48 pm

It never bothered me, even though I am still in college.

Leahcar
Toucan
Toucan

08 Jun 2018, 10:08 am

In my school we said "yes, miss" or "yes, sir" instead. Saying "here" or "yep" kinda sounds rude to me. 8O
In uni, though, we just get given a checklist and we tick our names off, and pass it around. Works better for larger classes.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2018, 12:22 pm

A few kids, including me, said "President of the United States."

An extension of "present."

Katie0405
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Jun 2018, 2:21 am

Nekomonster wrote:
Doesn't bother me, though I only have to do it regularly in one class. I think kids who say "Present" or "Yep" are more annoying.

It doesn't matter to me also saying "present" or "here". I think that's a part of school rules that we have to adapt.