Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

alisoncc
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Mar 2018, 9:31 pm

Did a search and could find no references to Diethylstilbestrol - DES, so thought there may be some value in starting a thread.

wikipedia wrote:
From about 1940 to 1971, DES was given to pregnant women in the mistaken belief it would reduce the risk of pregnancy complications and losses.

The same article goes on to state:
wikipedia wrote:
Research investigating the possible behavioral and psychosexual effects of prenatal DES exposure in human males occurred as early as 1973. This research has centered on a long-standing question of whether prenatal exposure to DES in offspring of mothers who were prescribed DES may have included sexual orientation and gender-related behavioral effects and physical intersex conditions. Kaplan published the first-known medical study (1959) of intersex condition in a male prenatally-exposed to DES.

The reference source Dictionary of Organic Compounds, 6th edition (1996) lists diethylstilbestrol (pp. 2175–76) as a nonsteroidal estrogen with carcinogenic properties that "causes male impotence and transsexual changes, especially in offspring exposed in utero".

There is some evidence linking prenatal hormonal influences on sexual orientation, gender identity and transsexual development, but this is an area of behavioral research that remains controversial. Several published studies in the medical literature on psychoneuroendocrinology have examined the hypothesis that prenatal exposure to estrogens (including DES) may cause significant developmental impact on sexual differentiation of the brain, and on subsequent behavioral and gender identity development in exposed males and females.

One of the leading investigators of this area of research is June Reinisch, former director of the Kinsey Institute for Research in Sex, Gender, and Reproduction. Reinisch cited several cases of "male feminization" among prenatally DES-exposed males.

Dr. Scott Kerlin, a major DES research scientist and founder of the DES Sons International Research Network in 1996, has documented for the past 20 years a high prevalence of individuals with confirmed prenatal DES exposure who self-identify as male-to-female transsexual, transgender, or have intersex conditions, and many individuals who report a history of experiencing difficulties with gender dysphoria.

Could be worth discussing. Whilst I can't be 100% sure, I know that my mother had some difficulties carrying my elder sister, so extremely high probability that she would have been prescribed diethylstilbestrol whilst pregnant with me.

Alison

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

DogzSpirit
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Aug 2021, 4:45 pm

My sister and I are first generation (DES Babies) for diethylstilbestrol exposure. Diagnosed later in life.

Both of us are on the spectrum.

Our children have difficulties that could be spectrum related.

I knew my parents, grandparents and great grandparents and none of them had any spectrum related wiring or challenges.

More than a coincidence that Aspergers presented with my sister and I, and our children do not have an easy walk in life either.

Cunfuzed
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Sep 2021, 11:24 am

I don't think I can post links yet but I found something you might find interesting at the big website for rate diseases studies you might find interesting.