Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2018, 7:20 am

Biscuitman wrote:
carlos55 wrote:
Hi

I know Asperger’s now officially gets classed as high functioning autism, but many sites say you can’t have speech & language problems like echolalia with Asperger’s. In fact they say the difference between HFA and Asperger's is speech and language problems in HFA.

Other sites will mention speech & language problems existing with Asperger’s, so which is it??

Can you have echolalia with Asperger’s?

Aspergers is no longer diagnosed in the US as the medical profession uses DSM-5 in which it has been removed, in Europe the medical profession uses ICD-10 which does still contain aspergers.

When the new ICD 11 manual later this year comes out Aspergers will be subsumed in Autism there also. But not everybody will adopt the manual right away as they did in America where the DSM is written with the insurance industry in mind. Canada is going to have a 5 year study period before they decide whether they will adopt the ICD 11.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman