11 Mar 2018, 5:23 pm

I'm curious as to why people who post in here with phrases like

I'll never find someone
It's hopeless for me
I'm done with dating
Trying to find a decent person is pointless
Nobody will ever want me
etc

even bother reading this forum at all, let alone contribute to it?

I'm not suggesting you stop contributing...I'm genuinely interested to know why you come to an advice forum to essentially tell us that our advice is useless? Is it simply venting, or is it overly-dramatic phrasing in order to prompt us to work harder to prove you wrong? Or what?

What is it you want from us, when you say things like this? And if you don't want anything, why do you come here to say it?

Thanks in advance for the insight :)

(Note: There's a distinction between "it's hopeless" and "it feels hopeless". I'm only referring to the first type of statement.)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 5:26 pm

I feel it's just people expressing their frustration.

They WANT love and companionship----that's why they come to L & D.

It is not actually "hopeless" for them. And I believe they know that, too, in their hearts.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 5:44 pm

Because we can!

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Buc
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Mar 2018, 5:51 pm

Why do women take pictures of themself?

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 6:20 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
Because we can!

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 6:46 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
Because we can!

Haha, there's a heap of things you *can* do, that you don't do.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 8:13 pm

Like what? :scratch:

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 9:00 pm

I don't see how any of that is off topic. People in relationships vent about the everyday between each other all the time, why are you saying it's weird for singletons to do the same? Absent a SO to talk to we've still got the internet

I don't think this forum should alienate anyone, especially considering the terms of use nobody else reads. All kinds of people come here for help or encouragement but this just reinforces the same inequity we're all looking for relief from.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 9:27 pm

cberg wrote:
I don't see how any of that is off topic. People in relationships vent about the everyday between each other all the time, why are you saying it's weird for singletons to do the same? Absent a SO to talk to we've still got the internet

I don't think this forum should alienate anyone, especially considering the terms of use nobody else reads. All kinds of people come here for help or encouragement but this just reinforces the same inequity we're all looking for relief from.

I don’t think that the OP is saying don’t vent, but is asking what does the “venter” want from other forum members. Venting is usually just blowing off steam, rather than a request for help or advice.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 9:33 pm

I think the pessimistic posts are all seeking solutions in that vein. I'm a tacit optimist and I've still posted my negative thoughts here because there was nowhere else to go, or so my negative side likes to think. People are looking for alternatives to dissociation from their love lives.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 9:39 pm

I think that they HOPE that there is a solution but sometimes that hope is so faint or buried deep below other feelings the poster isn’t able to easily accept suggested solutions.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 9:42 pm

You can’t dissociate from what you don’t have.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 9:48 pm

But sometimes we have more than we think. None of us are mind readers.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

12 Mar 2018, 12:28 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I feel it's just people expressing their frustration.

They WANT love and companionship----that's why they come to L & D.

It is not actually "hopeless" for them. And I believe they know that, too, in their hearts.
I definitely posted things like yellowtamarin is talking about aLOT. I did it because it was a way of blowing off steam & I wanted others to grasp how badly I felt about it. I was wanting support & advice that I could actually use instead of the clue-shay(have NO clue how to spell it) generic phrases that lots of people say.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

314pe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2018, 12:32 am

yellowtamarin wrote:

I'll never find someone
It's hopeless for me
I'm done with dating
Nobody will ever want me
etc

You forgot one more common phrase:
I am happy without a relationship so you should be happy too

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2018, 12:51 am

yellowtamarin wrote:

I'll never find someone
It's hopeless for me
I'm done with dating
Nobody will ever want me
etc

even bother reading this forum at all, let alone contribute to it?

I'm not suggesting you stop contributing...I'm genuinely interested to know why you come to an advice forum to essentially tell us that our advice is useless? Is it simply venting, or is it overly-dramatic phrasing in order to prompt us to work harder to prove you wrong? Or what?

What is it you want from us, when you say things like this? And if you don't want anything, why do you come here to say it?

Thanks in advance for the insight :)

(Note: There's a distinction between "it's hopeless" and "it feels hopeless". I'm only referring to the first type of statement.)

Probably they want to be proven wrong or find support, or just vent. Feeling like you have no chance or that it's hopeless doesn't remove the desire or longing for a relationship. I guess they feel they have nothing to lose by contributing, even if they doubt they have much to gain.