Veteran

15 Mar 2018, 10:16 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
transportation by S.E. class-

poor=bus, thumb or borrowed jalopy if lucky
middle=new sports car, minivan, SUV or luxury car every 2 years or so
rich=limousine, piloted Newell Coach, or premium luxury vehicle like a Rolls or Land Rover Range Rover, or a Maybach or Ferrari.

In all fairness, my family and I live below the poverty line, and we own our jalopy. :lol:

movin' on up in the world, are we? ;)

I've always pretty much had a car for as long as I could drive, so it's same old-same old.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2018, 10:19 pm

^^^I am guessing you were smart and didn't have to spend any more than necessary for your transportation. :wtg:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2018, 10:25 pm

auntblabby wrote:
^^^I am guessing you were smart and didn't have to spend any more than necessary for your transportation. :wtg:

Actually, I either was lucky enough to borrow money from my dad, or from a bank loan.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2018, 10:29 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Actually, I either was lucky enough to borrow money from my dad, or from a bank loan.

still smarter than this person who wasted his money [in the all-too-brief period when he actually had a little] on cars. :oops:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2018, 12:49 am

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

still smarter than this person who wasted his money [in the all-too-brief period when he actually had a little] on cars. :oops:

You do what you gotta do for transportation, so don't feel bad.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2018, 12:55 am

thank you :) but i'd be a LOT more comfortable nowadays had I saved and invested that moolah instead of wasting it.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2018, 1:04 am

auntblabby wrote:
thank you :) but i'd be a LOT more comfortable nowadays had I saved and invested that moolah instead of wasting it.

That is also the story of my life.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2018, 1:11 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

That is also the story of my life.

we both need to get us one of those WABAC machines so we can go back and edit our pasts appropriately. :idea:

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2018, 1:14 am

I view the upper class as something I can never achieve in a million years (if i somehow lived that long), that being said only something like a lottery jackpot win would get me there.

Middle class as you have put it, I can only experience through my parents who seemingly are able to afford yearly holidays abroad, have a somewhat normal suburban house, new-ish cars and a younger brother who has a well paying job but not enough to buy his own place.

I for instance split myself between middle and lower class because I identify as being in temporary accommodation (even though been here for 4 years since leaving uni, with the intent of leaving as soon as I get a job and stable income), but i've been supported by relatives with food and shelter, not in the best conditions but can't complain because not my house and i'm lucky to have somewhere at least.

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2018, 1:18 am

auntblabby wrote:
we both need to get us one of those WABAC machines so we can go back and edit our pasts appropriately. :idea:

if one did exist, you could potentially alter events that you might want to have happened, and in theory time might correct itself in the end

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2018, 1:23 am

Scorpius14 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

if one did exist, you could potentially alter events that you might want to have happened, and in theory time might correct itself in the end

the first thing i'd do is beg/borrow/steal $10k, and go back to March 13, 1986 and buy me a round lot of Microsoft stock, then come back to the present and cash it in. that would solve a bunch of my problems in one fell swoop.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Mar 2018, 5:55 am

Thought about it for a moment and I think the whole point is ill-defined.
My family had been living in a non-capitalist environment. It means, you couldn't buy much for money there.
But there were items of power. Most of all – connections. You couldn't get much for your money but if you were friends the right people, you could achieve anything. The well-connected people got what they wanted, the poor-connected struggled.
So I came to the conclusion, that the mighty of this world will thrive in any system.
The classes will form in any system, if not defined by money, then defined by goals and lifestyle.
My question is – how much the "lower" class is disadvantaged? Do they have a chance to live happily the way they live? Do they have a chance to move out of their class if they choose to?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2018, 12:35 am

magz wrote:
Thought about it for a moment and I think the whole point is ill-defined.
My family had been living in a non-capitalist environment. It means, you couldn't buy much for money there.
But there were items of power. Most of all – connections. You couldn't get much for your money but if you were friends the right people, you could achieve anything. The well-connected people got what they wanted, the poor-connected struggled.
So I came to the conclusion, that the mighty of this world will thrive in any system.
The classes will form in any system, if not defined by money, then defined by goals and lifestyle.
My question is – how much the "lower" class is disadvantaged? Do they have a chance to live happily the way they live? Do they have a chance to move out of their class if they choose to?

social mobility in amuuurica these days is relatively poor compared with the rest of the west, with unaffordable amuuurican healthcare the leading cause of personal bankruptcy, unaffordable amuuurican higher education, and a "not what you know but WHO you know" ethic common in amuuurican business. then there are the corrupt amuuurican cops who concentrate their wrath upon the lower part of the working class. I would say the American working class is definitely disadvantaged compared with northern Europe/the commonwealth states. I say that if The Dotard were stripped of his [faux] billions and his steel trap mind and all his finery, and thrown down into the working class here, he wouldn't last a minute and he would never escape.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2018, 12:09 pm

auntblabby wrote:
"the affluent poor." :wall:

...the what now?

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2018, 7:41 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

...the what now?

I think it's sarcasm, like when people say, "temporarily embarrassed millionaire".

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2018, 10:27 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

...the what now?

I think it's sarcasm, like when people say, "temporarily embarrassed millionaire".

No, Steinbeck was being 100% serious.