retreating into fantasy world (parallel world?)

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

omid
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Mar 2018, 5:17 am

I have this problem since ages (teens) and I wonder if anyone can relate.

I kind of have the feeling that I'm living in a fantasy world inside my head and in the real world simultanously (!)
It's like my consciousness / self / soul / whatever, is kind of retreating into this fantasy world (which feels very real).
It's very hard to explain. Most of the time I feel being in two places at the same time (RL, fantasy world). It's NOT my consciousness being in two parts or broken in two or alike. It's like one end of it is in real world and the other end in this imaginary world, and the percentage of how much is in real world and how much is in the imaginary world varies.
I've been told that I might have derealization/depersonalization syndrome, but I kind of don't believe it's not related to that. Those people mostly feel they are "nowhere", I feel like i'm in two places. I'd rather go with simpler explanations like I hate the real world and retreat into fantasy.
I have no real access to the content of this fantasy world while awake. I just feel the feeling of it (like the feeling you get when you are geographically some place. like at the sea side or whatever.) right before falling asleep or in my dreams at night, I can be in this "world" and it seems that I have an organized set of memories and biography and such in that world, which is all unreal and made up, but feels very very real. And when I wake up I get really confused because I go from person A with a particular life story and set of memory and other stuff, to the real world me, which has a whole different story and memory. It literally makes my brain ache because there is a massive dissonance between (being) person A in my dream and person B in in real life.

Has anyone experienced anything similar to this? I absolutely have no idea whether such thing is common among aspies or even people in general or I'm a very weird person with a very weird symptom.
Cheerz
Omid

Possibly Aspie (diagnosed by an autism expert, doc moves abroad, forced to change docs and all say it's schizophrenia NOS or schizo-affective disorde or personality disorders. initial doc was a colleague of uncle Simon btw. you do the math.). (edit: by Uncle Simon I mean Simon Baron Cohen. Just to clear things up.)

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2018, 6:01 am

Yes I also do this its called Maladaptive daydreaming.

jon85
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Mar 2018, 10:20 am

I think i understand. I'm not sure.

I have noticed more lately that the real world is just sh*t and i am constantly creating imaginary worlds/situations/people... because the real world is so boring. In fact i admitted to my therapist at last appt (never told anyone this before) that the only way I have ever been able to get myself to sleep is to throw myself into an imaginary fantasy world where I am either the main character, or narrating in my head and imagining a situation that the character has to deal with. I guess it kind of creates a focus for me and the deep concentration is enough to help me drift off to sleep. I have literally done this for as long as i can remember and i still do it.

Sometimes, I imagine a dragon emerging from the horizon. This morning I imagined the planet being hit by inter-spacial weapon fire, designed to wipe out a planet... and i imagined the chaos and the kind of action we/our governments/military would react etc.

So i don't know if that is similar to what you experience, i'm not sure.

Stunning Images On T-Shirts, Homeware and More!!

Rukkus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Mar 2018, 10:06 am

I can relate somewhat. I think relating to adults is almost always a fail. I like to think about what interests me and get absorbed into that world so I can escape the world where I don't fit in. Adults can converse so easily, flowing. They talk about useless topics, with meaningless replies, where I mostly access and store data. Its more comfortable when I can just go to this place inside where I am interested in these thoughts instead of the outside world of talking about non-stimulating, and usually draining topics. Maybe I'm off, but that's how I can relate.