Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

TwinRuler
Toucan
Toucan

13 Mar 2018, 9:47 am

Orwell's novel, is not so much Science Fiction as it is Absurdist Fiction. In this respect, it is much like Franz Kafka's works, including but not limited to, The Castle. While watching the movie again, I was struck by an insight. Orwell's work was not so much about either the Communists or the Nazis, as what life is like at a College or University. The telescreen theater was like a lecture hall; the Cantine like a College cafeteria.

Come to think of it, I think I will, from now on, forego writing Science Fiction so that I can write Absurdist Fiction instead. Having Asperger Syndrome, I find lots of things absurd, so I might be able to do this quite well. I wonder what the rest of you think of that? I am really getting very excited about my new career move.

By the way, certain television shows, for instance, Dark Shadows, Twin Peaks, The X Files, and many other such shows seem to have the Kafkaesque atmosphere to them. Nineteen Eighty Four was pretty much a horror story, wherein the State itself was the monster!

:D It is nice to communicate with you all again. I hope you are doing well!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2018, 1:59 am

That's quite a fascinating take on the Orwell book. I don't recall if anyone ever having reached that conclusion. Do you know if Orwell ever read Kafka?

TwinRuler
Toucan
Toucan

15 Mar 2018, 4:03 pm

Not sure if Orwell read Kafka's work, but there are some eerie similarities.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2018, 4:48 pm

TwinRuler wrote:
Not sure if Orwell read Kafka's work, but there are some eerie similarities.

I'm sure he must have known something about Kafka, as their lives had overlapped, and Kafka had gained posthumous literary prominence by that time.

TwinRuler
Toucan
Toucan

15 Mar 2018, 5:29 pm

Fascinating!