name a movie/book that made you feel dirty after watching it

Page 4 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

any movies/books ever make you feel dirty afterwards?
YES!! :o 62%  62%  [ 8 ]
nope. i'm immune. :thumleft: 31%  31%  [ 4 ]
i'm not sure. :shrug: 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
where's my ice cream? :chef: 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 13

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 8:08 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The "Saw" franchise.

Chris Rock wants to reboot it.

https://deadline.com/2019/05/chris-rock-to-reboot-saw-franchise-with-lionsgate-twisted-pictures-1202616185/

Kenya
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 10:08 pm

Legend of the Titanic. This movie may not be among the more graphic entries listed, but it was a movie so disgustingly insulting to history that I felt unclean for weeks after watching it. I watched this movie on a dare to myself. People told me that this animated Titanic movie was even worse than Titanic: The Legend Goes On and I thought to myself "How could anything possibly be worse than the movie with a rapping dog in it?" Oh how foolish and naive I was back then. LotT tries to pass off that the 1,500+ people who died on the Titanic never really died, that the sinking of the Titanic was all a part of some complicated conspiracy for a villain, so obviously evil that a blind and deaf person could point him out, to gain unlimited rights to hunt whales wherever he wants, and has all the consistency and competency of an Uwe Boll production. It's just so disgusting to see the story of one of the biggest tragedies of all time being dismissed as if it was never that big a deal while also using it as a piss poor excuse for a flimsy environmental message about saving the whales. To quote the Nostalgia Critic in his review of the movie, "if you wanna make a movie about whales, that's fine. More power to you. But leave the deaths of hundreds of innocent people out of it if you don't mind! I mean, even Ferngully just stuck to the rainforest and didn't try to work in the Hindenburg disaster or anything!" I know there's definitely far worse movies out there. This is just the worst one that I've willingly (and foolishly) subjected myself to.

treefiddy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 May 2019, 5:48 am

shlaifu wrote:
I find Lars von Trier's films hilarious.

Easy for you to say, man lol the Antichrist chick cuts her **** off!! !! ! :pale: traumatised me for life

StaticWorld
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 May 2019, 1:14 pm

PurpleReject wrote:
StaticWorld wrote:
Watched A Serbian Film some years ago.

And my sanity went faaaaaaar away - so far that I still can't see it to this day. Honestly, it wasn't even funny or interesting. It was just yikes. Never again, please.

It just made me angry; its only purpose was to be intentionally over-the-top and shocking, with zero substance at all. And I've seen plenty of exploitation movies which have done the same, that's why they're called "exploitation" movies, but what really 'offended' me was how the filmmakers claimed that the film was some kind of political allegory, which was such a load of bull. I'm fine with gore, I'm fine with sleaze, but just be honest about your intentions...just something about a "pretentious gore flick" rubs me the wrong way.

What's so embarrassing about lumping in your abstruse movie with a bunch of other abstruse movies? Does it want to be special? It's a work of fiction, of course, but it gives off the vibe of a snuff film. Exploitation movies are fine as long as they admit what they are. It's just ridiculous.

PurpleReject
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 May 2019, 7:24 pm

StaticWorld wrote:
What's so embarrassing about lumping in your abstruse movie with a bunch of other abstruse movies? Does it want to be special? It's a work of fiction, of course, but it gives off the vibe of a snuff film. Exploitation movies are fine as long as they admit what they are. It's just ridiculous.

Even if it wasn't for the pretension, I'd still dislike "A Serbian Film"; on paper, it's not bad, but the film tries way, way too hard to be "disturbing" to the point where it's not even disturbing, it's just stupid. The whole movie has that smirking persona of "Hey, look how SHOCKING and GROSS we are, eh? Ehhh???", and I've just seen way too much of that in the post-Eli Roth world of independent horror.

There are many ways to do extreme gore and violence right (such as the "New French Extremity" movement, including "Martyrs", "Irreversible", "Trouble Every Day", "Inside", etc., which all have viscerally shocking scenes which actually serve the narrative, though some may argue those are arthouse films instead of exploitation films), but there are also ways to achieve the same effect without shock tactics ("The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" is one the scariest and most intense films of all time and there's only a minimal amount of blood shown). No amount of special effects can make up for a bad script and/or bad direction.