Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2018, 3:28 pm

I start working as an internet in last year August in a small architecture office. I like some things about my work but there is a lot of downsides, some things related to work ethics that I disagree (for example, I need to use my own laptop, with my own licensed softwares – I use student licenses, it isn't legal + they have more interns that they legally could have, that's a great way to have specialized low paying workforce), I also feel a bit frustrated with the whole structure of office, I feel they invest money in wrong things and they don't adhere to small things that could boost our productivity, I sometimes need to remake one thing a few times because of this lack of a consistent worflow, also the fact that I feel too tired and with little time to dedicate myself on the university and personal things (although I'm unsure if I'll do if I quit the job because I'm not good at time management).

I don't earn well enough to keep myself, my parents still send me money and my wage goes all to buying household appliances, that are cool to have but not a necessity, and I started to save to buy a desktop computer. So I won't have difficulties without the money but it's a good extra money (it's not much also).

So I don't know if I should really quit, the job was good to organize myself a bit better, I started waking up early and so on, but now it is just making me really frustrated. Also, even if I decide myself, I'm unsure how to do it. Should I tell them within advanced time? How to tell? Should i be honest?

But maybe all this worries won't be necessary, they are looking for a new intern and although they told me it would be someone extra, I think they are actually going to try someone else and see if they keep that person or me. I don't like this scenario, as I think it is unfair, but when I got in the job, they did a similar thing – they actually hired two interns, and after the two months, fired the other girl.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2018, 4:20 pm

Good luck.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

TimS1980
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Mar 2018, 5:47 am

Head over to the career tools section at manager-tools.com

As well as having information about how to deal with resignation, I'd encourage you to check out lots more of their podcast material, it's great.

Main advice is:
1) keep dissatisfaction to yourself while finding something better
2) when you accept a better offer, that's a good time to resign, but keep it 100% upbeat and don't think about changing the organization or making a statement on you way out.

Best of luck.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2018, 8:49 pm

i think i'll do it this week

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2018, 8:52 pm

Whatever you do, remember you can’t escape the law of the jungle. Fight, fight, fight, and, when in doubt, fight.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2018, 9:12 pm

the thing i don't care much about this job is that i don't see any chance of growing on it
i was supposed to stay just 6 months for the university internship
but i stayed more and i'm already fed up with it

if it was a bigger place where i had any chance after graduating, i would make an effort to stay but i don't have and i don't even want to stay in this city.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2018, 9:09 pm

OK maybe I won't do it anymore??

this week things were a lot better, although i still dislike a lot of things, i just feel more relaxed over it.
also, the new intern they may hire is a guy i know from the university and i really like him. we actually talked twice this week about the job and he is very nice person, we talk a lot about music. if he get hired, i'll be really happy having someone who is more my friend than friend of the other people.

Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2018, 9:30 pm

I work as an architect too, and can sympathise with your feelings. However, I'm not in a position to quit because my responsibilities are too great, and I don't want to damage the few precious social connections I've built up.

Quote:
(for example, I need to use my own laptop, with my own licensed softwares – I use student licenses, it isn't legal + they have more interns that they legally could have, that's a great way to have specialized low paying workforce)

This is very common in the industry. It's not right, but try to remember that it's just the way it is. CAD licences are very pricey and a lot of small offices would struggle if they had to provide all interns with such things. Only large offices can do that. If you're uncomfortable with what your internship entails, perhaps looking for a more corporate position would help.

Quote:
I sometimes need to remake one thing a few times because of this lack of a consistent worflow

Part of the design process. 99% of the work I do is "wasted" in a way, because the boss only comes to the conclusion that we should try something else. But it's a tried and tested way of working (advance by waste) so try to accept it rather than fight it. After all, architecture is a social profession just as much as anything.

Quote:
So I don't know if I should really quit, the job was good to organize myself a bit better, I started waking up early and so on, but now it is just making me really frustrated. Also, even if I decide myself, I'm unsure how to do it. Should I tell them within advanced time? How to tell? Should i be honest?

If you decide to quit, just do it politely, advance notice, smile on your face (even if it's fake). Leaving with a good impression burns no bridges, it just temporarily closes them.

Quote:
when I got in the job, they did a similar thing – they actually hired two interns, and after the two months, fired the other girl.

Probably because getting an intern is easy, but getting someone to fit in a tight group of workers is hard. When you spend so much time together on a project as you do in architecture, good chemistry (and a certain measure of tolerance of each other) is necessary.

Hope that helped a bit.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2018, 1:31 pm

1986 wrote:
I work as an architect too, and can sympathise with your feelings. However, I'm not in a position to quit because my responsibilities are too great, and I don't want to damage the few precious social connections I've built up.

Quote:
(for example, I need to use my own laptop, with my own licensed softwares – I use student licenses, it isn't legal + they have more interns that they legally could have, that's a great way to have specialized low paying workforce)

This is very common in the industry. It's not right, but try to remember that it's just the way it is. CAD licences are very pricey and a lot of small offices would struggle if they had to provide all interns with such things. Only large offices can do that. If you're uncomfortable with what your internship entails, perhaps looking for a more corporate position would help.

Quote:
I sometimes need to remake one thing a few times because of this lack of a consistent worflow

Part of the design process. 99% of the work I do is "wasted" in a way, because the boss only comes to the conclusion that we should try something else. But it's a tried and tested way of working (advance by waste) so try to accept it rather than fight it. After all, architecture is a social profession just as much as anything.

Quote:

If you decide to quit, just do it politely, advance notice, smile on your face (even if it's fake). Leaving with a good impression burns no bridges, it just temporarily closes them.

Quote:
when I got in the job, they did a similar thing – they actually hired two interns, and after the two months, fired the other girl.

Probably because getting an intern is easy, but getting someone to fit in a tight group of workers is hard. When you spend so much time together on a project as you do in architecture, good chemistry (and a certain measure of tolerance of each other) is necessary.

Hope that helped a bit.

Hi! Thanks a lot for you answer – it's good to hear from someone who works in the same field. I'm already feeling a lot better there, I guess it was just a stressful period that maximized the bad sides of work.

Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2018, 7:03 pm

Glad to hear you're feeling better. Wish you the best of luck, and if you need to talk about more things, I'm happy to join in. :)