Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Buster_Daddy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Mar 2018, 8:12 pm

Well, I just found out on Thursday that I have Asperger's. It is incredibly hard for me just to type this as I fear social interaction and judgement, even on the internet. This whole diagnosis is confusing. If anyone has advice for me, I'd appreciate it.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2018, 8:24 pm

BD, welcome to WP, you are in the right place. I found out for sure [suspected for ages beforehand] in 2003. the earth stayed the same as it was before, people treated me the same after dx as they did before. if I was you [were you?] I would not worry so much about it.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2018, 8:33 pm

i don't have advice, but people here are quite friendly. you're very welcome.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2018, 9:27 pm

Buster_Daddy wrote:
Well, I just found out on Thursday that I have Asperger's. It is incredibly hard for me just to type this as I fear social interaction and judgement, even on the internet. This whole diagnosis is confusing. If anyone has advice for me, I'd appreciate it.

Okay, first take a DEEP breath, and let it out, slowly. Second, know that you are here "in the arms", so-to-speak, of people who know EXACTLY how you're feeling----you're NOT alone----we KNOW the hurt / confusion / whatever, that you're feeling, cuz WE have felt it. Next, ask a MILLION-AND-ONE questions, on here----we can handle it, we've heard it all!!

Lastly, ask yourself this question: "How has this dx changed the person that I am----does it mean, that it has changed WHO I am----or, does it merely mean that now I have understanding?".

Sending you ((((cyber hugs)))), if that's okay----if not, I think we can provide for you, whatever you need; WELCOME!!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2018, 9:27 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

Buster_Daddy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Mar 2018, 10:38 am

Thanks all for the warm welcome and the cyber hugs are greatly appreciated. I've settled in more and realize that being diagnosed doesn't change anything other than knowing for sure. I'm glad to have found this site and will certainly be asking more questions as time goes on.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2018, 12:44 pm

It's not like you have leprosy or something....

Almost everybody I've in known in life have some sort of "disorder." I don't feel Asperger's is all that "drastic." It's just something one must adapt to. Just like one has to adapt to, say, having a child.

Looking
Raven
Raven

25 Mar 2018, 11:29 am

I was diagnosed nearly five years ago, age 57. My first reaction was relief quickly followed by fear and a desire to “be normal”, whatever that is. I have heard similar things from others. I just needed to relax and accept it. What helped me enormously was researching autism and really deepening my knowledge of the condition and myself. It may be a great truth that Aspies generally know a lot about research. All those years you have spent on your special interest(s) will have taught you how. I spent a lot of time reading books and on the net. Look out for books by Tony Atwood if like to read. There’s a great free course called “Understanding Autism” on a site called Future Learn. It is put up by the University of Kent and two of it’s people are Aspies.
It is important to read people who know what they are talking about, however. There are some nasty people, even organisations out there who say some very inaccurate and upsetting things about us.

There’s no need to afraid of joining in on WP. As someone else pointed out earlier we are living the Aspie life and understand very well.

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2018, 2:01 pm

After my dx at the age of 58 my feelings were odd and mixed for a week or so, one minute walking on air, next minute feeling a very strange sense of guilt, and quite a lot of twisted joy - feelings of loss, gain, of setting sail yet coming home forever all at the same time. I guess this kind of psychological soup is normal. Welcome, you are among friends here.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2018, 3:58 pm

My emotions went up and down a lot post diagnoses, after a couple of months they steadied and have stayed that way. It's a lot to take in, don't rush yourself. And ask anything you like.