Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Indominus
Raven
Raven

18 Mar 2018, 10:31 pm

I have had two concussions in my life: one when I was 4 and the other when I was 15.

The first one I can’t recall much of mainly due to how young I was at the time but I remembered that I hit my head on the bathtub and had to go to the hospital. I remember that I was on a papoose or something, idk.

The second one I can recall the most of vividly, mainly due to how recent it was at the time and when it occurred (10/22/13 to be precise). I hit my head falling down some stairs and had to be taken to the hospital. According to what my parents and the nurse said, I didn’t lose too much blood. Though I did have to receive 5 staples and 7 stitches or 3 for either I don’t know.

Basically, I’ve been depressed about these incidents because I feel like I screwed up my life by hitting my head. And I can’t help but feel that it could’ve been worse in some cases.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2018, 6:43 am

You must understand deeply that in fact you are not depressed about concussions specifically.

You are just depressed due to misbalance of some hormones. Your brain rationalises this feeling by making you think you are depressed about concussions as it's the most prominent reason it can come up with.

This hormonal misbalance is physiological, you can fix it by diet and lifestyle changes.

- Limit sugar consumption as much as possible.
- Every day go for a walk outdoors for at least 5 minutes when sun is up. Your body needs air and sun to feel happy. Don't limit to just 5 minutes, if you feel like walking for 30 minutes more, go for it.
- Do some resistance training to force your muscles consume amino acids in your bloodstream which mess up your tryptophan metabolism.
- Take cold showers every day, start with ending your normal shower with 15 seconds of cold water for a week and add 15 seconds every week.

It may sound stupid while you are depressed, but just do it.

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2018, 8:42 am

I have had at least 6 concussions in my life. These things just have a way of happening. I don't think you screwed up your life by hitting your head. Mine is mostly fine! I got mine falling off a wall onto a hard pavement when I was 2, being hit over the head with a bag of recycling cans and bottles when I was 5, falling off a roof when I was 5, Falling off a frightened horse when I was 12, and having the "biggest" boy in school fall into me and knock me into a big metal cupboard when I was 14 and finally last autumn I got hit and knocked to the ground by a huge falling tree branch at 2 in the morning in a bad storm....

I'm sorry you feel stressed about it... but you are right it could have been worse and bodies are fairly resilient.