Any other girl who find boys to be easier to talk to?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

superaliengirl
Toucan
Toucan

20 Mar 2018, 6:00 am

Hi!

I was wondering if any other girls on the autism spectrum find that it's easier to befriend boys than it is other girls?
I get along much better with boys which is annoying because most guys I meet don't want to be just friends..! My best friend right now though is a boy whom I also dated for a while first. It didn't go anywhere though and I wouldn't call it an actual relationship I guess apart from the fact that we had feelings for each other and would hug and hold hands...

I personally think that boys could be easier to hang out with because they don't go as deep as most girls want to! They are fine with talking about normal stuff like movies and games and they don't gossip and get emotional and start drama. :)

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2018, 6:59 am

As a kid, yes. Other girls thought I was weird, but boys seemed to think I was weird because I'm a girl.

Now though there isn't really much of a difference... I mean I hang out more with girls than guys, but that's because the places I go to simply have more women so I end up making more female than male friends.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2018, 8:00 am

As a male on the spectrum I struggle to talk to anyone but I find it easier to talk to woman than men IRL but everyone's different.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Nira
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Mar 2018, 12:48 pm

In my job is most men and for me it is better. I don't feel well, when I am between more women. With men I don't compare so much.

For me is hard to talk with everyone. With few people it is little better, but it isn't affected by whether they are men or woman, but because they are more patient than most people.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2018, 1:06 pm

All my life. I'm in the US, and many (not all, but so many!) women here seem to regard other women primarily as competitors, therefore enemies from the start.

I didn't have that problem with males until I hit my prime working years, when *some* but by no means most of the men I worked with started that same competition-therefore-enemy thing in workplaces.

I think the US culture is unhealthy in terms of being overly competitive in many areas. So depending on where you are, your experiences may differ.

Good luck to you. One solid, true friend - male or female - is a treasure beyond price.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2018, 9:08 am

I've got the opposite thing. I've a guy who finds girls easier to talk to than other guys.

I'm going to agree with Granny Weatherwax and say it's because people from the same sex can form rivalries. Men are rivals to other men and women are rivals to other women. But men and women can talk to each other without forming rivalries.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2018, 9:26 am

I can talk better equally well (aka Poorly) with both genders, but men find me odd or weird.

They seem to suspect me of pulling their leg or having a fake persona at the beginning. Or vested interests. Or flirting badly.

When they realize it’s none of the above, and I am genuinely the way I present myself...they discuss tangibles better with me.
They actually are quicker to accept me. They seem to be more sympathetic or accepting as they realize I’m like a Socially deficient nerdy man.

Women discuss abstract and especially child/family related concepts well with me.

But there is the same sort of reserve at the beginning, hesitation and confusion. More of it.
‘How do I translate this odd concept?’

Also women hide a lot of what they are thinking or feeling so I don’t realize whether I’ve offended someone. Men will be straightforward and show anger so u can apologize and explain.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2018, 10:20 am

I find that I communicate with both sexes very poorly. Generally if I communicate effectively with anyone its usually online from a forum or if I am gaming with them in a multiplayer type setting. Besides my boyfriend I have 2 really close friends who are not only from the internet but both of which I've never met before being they are from different countries. But I've known them both for going on 10 years and even though I met them in different settings, still they are relatively close. Though in reference to the topic at hand they are both guys and despite being genderqueer I am still AFAB so there ya go :p

Offline I don't feel that communication with people for me really goes anywhere since many people in my age range don't tend to have much in common with me. Women tend to be all about their relationships by the time they are my age or older. Guys tend to either want more then just a friendship(like to date you whatever) or they are just after sex. So I just keep my human contact to a minimum for this reason. Though I did atleast meet my boyfriend offline, but when it comes to dating I do draw the line at online dating. I know its not so taboo as it was back then but as one who've spent a good portion of their teenage years on the internet engaging in anime based roleplay and chatroom situations, I know more then anything that many people online are not who they say they are. So while I'll befriend someone online without a problem, I will not cross the threshold into dating them.

KestrylR
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Apr 2018, 2:59 pm

I've always found guys much easier to talk to. One of my male co-workers used to always ask me questions that started with "why do women..." and I would always reply "Don't ask me - I don't understand them either!"

Neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 162 of 200
Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 47 of 200
Very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2018, 3:30 pm

I usually have much more in common with men than women. Women my age want to talk about kids and recipes. I want to talk about video games and the latest sci-fi movie. It's hard to talk to men too, though, because trying to make friends with them is usually interpreted as sexual interest. :? Frustrating.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2018, 4:04 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
Women my age want to talk about kids and recipes.

As a male I've been cooking since about age 11, I love talking recipes. It amazes me most men can't cook and have no clue how to prepare a meal. I love experimenting with recipes from other cultures and have grown crops specifically so I can get authentic ingredients for foreign foods. Personally, I'd rather cook a meal for someone than talk to them, lol.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2018, 4:17 pm

Quote:
As a male I've been cooking since about age 11, I love talking recipes. It amazes me most men can't cook and have no clue how to prepare a meal. I love experimenting with recipes from other cultures and have grown crops specifically so I can get authentic ingredients for foreign foods. Personally, I'd rather cook a meal for someone than talk to them, lol.

Well, sure, that kind of cooking talk might be interesting. The recipes my acquaintances share are mostly cheesy casseroles or desserts that involve crushing candy bars.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2018, 5:36 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
I usually have much more in common with men than women. Women my age want to talk about kids and recipes. I want to talk about video games and the latest sci-fi movie. It's hard to talk to men too, though, because trying to make friends with them is usually interpreted as sexual interest. :? Frustrating.

Try talking to men who are already in committed relationships. Any man who truly loves his partner won't hit on you.

ASNerd
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Apr 2018, 5:58 pm

My best friends have been guys because we have more in common. I like sports, science and hip hop. Girls want to talk gossip and who's dating whom. They don't see me as one of them. Guys don't either sometimes. They usually think me wanting to be friends is me wanting to date them, then they hit on me. If they're not interested in me romantically, they don't want to be friends. It's frustrating.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2018, 8:01 pm

Quote:
Try talking to men who are already in committed relationships. Any man who truly loves his partner won't hit on you.

That's not quite the issue. The issue is with being perceived as flirting, so talking to a man in a committed relationship only adds another layer of inappropriateness.

hannahjrob
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Apr 2018, 9:01 pm

Yes, I have more male friends than female.