Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2018, 12:21 pm

Today while waiting for my antipsychotic depot injection the conversation got round to interacting with others . I said I wasn't driven to interact with others and was quite asocial. The nurse said "Well you were married" as though that knocked being asocial on the head. She also said I was quite easy to talk to as though that also argued against it. I am struggling to see that having been married and being quite easy to talk to is proof against being asocial. In my 22 years of living with my wife I'd had almost no interaction outside of our respective families. Certainly no friends and made little attempt to remedy that situation. Does being married or having been married mean you were never asocial?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2018, 12:36 pm

Your intentions might be "asocial," but your ability to socialize, despite your intentions, might not be as "impaired" as you think it is.

The question really is: is a person asocial when the intention to be asocial is present, but is not acted upon; or does asociality only occur in the case where the person actually ACTS upon that intention.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2018, 12:49 pm

I am not anti social . If put in a situation where being social is required as opposed to being rude then I'll do so , but I don't find it at all easy and am not driven to do so of my own volition.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2018, 1:05 pm

I would say you’re more a “reluctant” socializer than a person who is “asocial.”

You see the efficacy of socializing. You don’t want to be rude.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2018, 1:24 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I would say you’re more a “reluctant” socializer than a person who is “asocial.”

You see the efficacy of socializing. You don’t want to be rude.

So to be 'asocial' you'd have to be rude when confronted by a social situation? Presuming of course you couldn't always avoid such a situation.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2018, 1:31 pm

I would say so.....

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2018, 2:16 pm

You're probably an introvert, rather than asocial.