Another question for the Brits here.

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2018, 3:44 pm

I just saw the film Tomb Raider. Through most of it, Laura does not have her trademark dual wielded handguns. She finally does buy them, right at the end, and poses for her trademark two guns pose. She gets them at a London pawn shop. Now I'm wondering if you could actually do this, because I thought most European countries had handgun laws up the ying yang, and it was NOT like the US where you CAN just walk into a shop like that and buy a gun.

"It must be understood, that neither by word nor deed had I given Fortunato cause to doubt my good-will. I continued as was my wont, to smile in his face, and he did not perceive that my smile was at the thought of his immolation."

Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2018, 5:50 pm

Handguns were banned in England,Scotland and Wales in 1996 after the Dunblane school shooting and we have stricter gun controls in general than most of Europe,so unless Lara was buying novelty cigarette lighters shaped like guns,she
couldn't buy them in London.Handguns aren't banned in Northern Ireland but I'm not sure how restricted they are.

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2018, 5:53 pm

pluto wrote:
Handguns were banned in England,Scotland and Wales in 1996 after the Dunblane school shooting and we have stricter gun controls in general than most of Europe,so unless Lara was buying novelty cigarette lighters shaped like guns,she
couldn't buy them in London.Handguns aren't banned in Northern Ireland but I'm not sure how restricted they are.

Thank you, that's what I thought.

"It must be understood, that neither by word nor deed had I given Fortunato cause to doubt my good-will. I continued as was my wont, to smile in his face, and he did not perceive that my smile was at the thought of his immolation."

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2018, 6:06 pm

RainbowUnion wrote:
pluto wrote:

But it could of been a shady pawn shop and an illegal sale OR just Hollywood artistic license

Was the film any good ? and was Alicia Vikander better than Angelina Jolie as Lara

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2018, 1:27 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
RainbowUnion wrote:
pluto wrote:

But it could of been a shady pawn shop and an illegal sale OR just Hollywood artistic license

Was the film any good ? and was Alicia Vikander better than Angelina Jolie as Lara

It looked like the pawn shop was legit to me. Not intended to depict an illegal sale. And I've not seen the Jolie film, but I've heard it wasn't good. I enjoyed this one.

MirrorWars
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2018, 9:37 am

Is the film set now, or is it set in the 90s?

The game came out in the mid-90s, so maybe that could play a part with the guns in the pawn shop.

IE - Maybe it set was when the gun laws were more relaxed toward antique weaponry.

I haven't seen the film, it's not my type of thing.

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2018, 1:18 pm

MirrorWars wrote:
Is the film set now, or is it set in the 90s?

The game came out in the mid-90s, so maybe that could play a part with the guns in the pawn shop.

IE - Maybe it set was when the gun laws were more relaxed toward antique weaponry.

I haven't seen the film, it's not my type of thing.

Its set in today, as in 2018. Also, the guns are top notch and not antiques.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2018, 1:45 pm

It's an origin story

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2018, 1:46 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
It's an origin story

You are right, but they show the London skyscape. I'm pretty sure some of the buildings did not exist in the 90s.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2018, 1:54 pm

RainbowUnion wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
It's an origin story

You are right, but they show the London skyscape. I'm pretty sure some of the buildings did not exist in the 90s.

I don't think the timelines are going to match but it's a small price to pay for a reboot :)

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2018, 7:28 pm

Just watched the film and it's a backroom in a pawnshop , it was an illegal sale of firearms in the UK.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2018, 5:11 am

RainbowUnion wrote:
And I've not seen the Jolie film, but I've heard it wasn't good. I enjoyed this one.
Then you heard wrong, both Tomb Raider and TR 2 Cradle of Life were good.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765