Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Nekomonster
Toucan
Toucan

21 Mar 2018, 4:36 pm

I have an interview for a seasonal position at the Home Depot. This would be my first job ever. I'm doing all sorts of research and watching videos on how to prepare for said interview at the moment, but I thought I'd also ask here: what's your best advice for a sixteen-year-old in their first-ever interview?

I admittedly don't know much about hardware/appliances, and the only other experience I can talk about would be working for school credit in the school coffee shop (which I switch between enjoying and hating - largely because of the teacher - but has given me some sort of experience as to what work is like).

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2018, 5:08 pm

I think researching how to handle yourself, is an EXCELLENT thing t'do!!

I would also add: DON'T lie, DON'T talk about the part of your current job, that you don't like, DO research (if you haven't, already) the kinds of questions they might ask at an interview for Home Depot, DO mention anything, at all, you know about what they sell in Home Depot (even if you know only a little). Also, I'd visit their website, and try to find something(s) positive you can say about the site----like, especially, if it's easily navigable, or something like that.

Also, in my own research, I have often read that one should NOT ask how much the wage is----that it seems like that's the most important thing to you; that it's more important that you talk about what a good TEAM member you'd be, and so-forth.

Good luck----I'll be rootin' for ya----and, make sure you come-back and tell us how it went!!

DHolden5884
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Mar 2018, 2:17 pm

First off, congratulations :D

When going into the interview, arrive early so that you can mentally compose yourself before going into the interview. During the interview don't rush things. The whole experience can be nerve wracking before and even during, and when you go in, you may feel like you just want to get it over and done with. Take your time with each questions they ask you, don't be afraid to ask for a minute to come up with your answer, and if you are unsure of what they are asking, don't be afraid in asking for an explanation to a question you are not sure you understand, as they'll want honesty and substance in the answers you give

Also they will give you an opportunity to ask them questions towards the end, make sure that you do ask them questions during this session that would be relevant to the job or the company itself. They want somebody who wants to work for them, so show interest in the company and in what they do in any way possible

Best of luck, and take this experience as an achievement no matter what happens. Best of luck :-)