Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Authentic
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Mar 2018, 4:49 am

In Belgium assisted suicide for mental illness including depression is legal. The only caveat is that you have to try all available treatment methods before you are authorized to make this choice. I do not know about you but I am buying a plane ticket to Belgium if I don't see any improvement within the next couple years.

Here is a video about vice discussing this topic:

timf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2018, 6:19 am

I see Aapergers as a neurological variant that manifests in heightened neurological sensory and processing that in children acts as a developmental deficit. It is the nature of Aspergers children to take control of their inner mental development rather than the reflexive NT method of absorbing these structures from their environment (family, school, church, etc.) This often results in an inner mental life constructed with the care one might imagine a five year old would give towards driving a car.

Only as time passes can the young adult Aspie begin a program of reconstruction to replace mental structures formed at the direction of his younger self with ones more suited to function in the real world.

Childish structures can accentuate obnoxious behaviors causing even greater alienation from others. The consequences of dealing with the effects of presenting oneself to the world as a selfish obnoxious eccentric overgrown child can be quite painful.

Rather than seeing in suicide a relief from a painful life, recognizing many of the difficulties arising from developmental processing that may be correctable can offer hope and a chance at a life more rewarding than burdensome.

http://ems-publishing.com/ebooks/atil_09_2017.pdf

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2018, 6:28 am

I think it's a dumb idea. Life is a gift to be enjoyed. When does the right to die become the duty to die? I hope that doesn't become my duty.

Authentic
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Mar 2018, 6:39 am

timf wrote:
I see Aapergers as a neurological variant that manifests in heightened neurological sensory and processing that in children acts as a developmental deficit. It is the nature of Aspergers children to take control of their inner mental development rather than the reflexive NT method of absorbing these structures from their environment (family, school, church, etc.) This often results in an inner mental life constructed with the care one might imagine a five year old would give towards driving a car.

Only as time passes can the young adult Aspie begin a program of reconstruction to replace mental structures formed at the direction of his younger self with ones more suited to function in the real world.

Childish structures can accentuate obnoxious behaviors causing even greater alienation from others. The consequences of dealing with the effects of presenting oneself to the world as a selfish obnoxious eccentric overgrown child can be quite painful.

Rather than seeing in suicide a relief from a painful life, recognizing many of the difficulties arising from developmental processing that may be correctable can offer hope and a chance at a life more rewarding than burdensome.

The link you provided leads to nowhere

Authentic
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Mar 2018, 6:41 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I think it's a dumb idea. Life is a gift to be enjoyed. When does the right to die become the duty to die? I hope that doesn't become my duty.

Nobody is forcing anyone to do anything. This is a slippery slope argument.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2018, 6:50 am

Assisted suicide should be allowed for those who want it. That remains my opinion on the matter.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Nira
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Mar 2018, 7:03 am

When I was 15, I attempted suicide with pills. Nothing happend to me and no one found it. Now i'm glad I'm still here. Life can improve over time.

timf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2018, 10:53 am

The above link is not a web page or video, it is a pdf document. If your browser does not open pdf documents, you can right click on the link and use "save as" to download.

AceofPens
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Mar 2018, 12:24 pm

Wouldn't accepting this practice mean embracing the idea that suffering lessens the value of one's life? That seems to be the idea behind it. We won't let somewhat healthy people kill themselves because they have a chance at reclaiming a life without suffering. Even if they aren't interested in sticking around to find out, we force them because we recognize their potential value. But if they're incapable of getting better, what's the point of keeping them around if they're not going to be happy? It's not really a matter of the person's choice but rather our own estimation of their life value since we'll defend them up to a certain point. It really seems like our choice rather than theirs, our choice to stop valuing their life. And it really sets happiness up as the defining factor of life value, which seems like a problem to me.

But what really concerns me is this: we say that if a person can't be happy at all, their life isn't worth protecting. But why do we apply that particular threshold? I don't see why the rule shouldn't be applied in degrees. This is probably where my reasoning gets a little fuzzy because I'm not sure if there are more logical rules to apply to the problem. But if happiness does define one's life value, and no happiness means no value, shouldn't less happiness equal less value? That is, the more a person suffers, the less their life is worth? I'm just not sure why we don't hold that to be true but instead apply the rule only in absolute cases.

Authentic
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Mar 2018, 3:37 am

timf wrote:

Well aside from aspergers I have life long depression. What answers do you have for me?

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2018, 4:30 am

^Have you tried ECT or transcranial magnetic stimulation? Both are treatments for depression.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2018, 4:39 am

Your link leads nowhere, I think it is not legal in Belgium but I think this would be a good idea.

timf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2018, 6:38 am

A popular European treatment for depression is Sam-e. Since it is over the counter in the US, you may want to research it.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supple ... t-20364924

RemiBeaker
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Mar 2018, 2:45 pm

Euthanasia for mental illness is legal in Belgium and in The Netherlands but not everyone that applies for it gets permission for it.
In Switzerland it's easier to get assisted suicide.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2018, 3:03 pm

RemiBeaker wrote:
Euthanasia for mental illness is legal in Belgium and in The Netherlands but not everyone that applies for it gets permission for it.
In Switzerland it's easier to get assisted suicide.

if you have a reference, i'm interested :wink:

RemiBeaker
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Mar 2018, 3:20 pm

Here's a video about someone in Belgium: