Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2018, 8:55 pm

I am curious to know why many classes are “easy A’s”, where, in some cases, a student can get an A for basically just showing up. Is it the only way some students can pass a class?

For the college-bound, I have concerns that too many such classes would hinder the student’s critical thinking skills (especially if it’s the STEM classes where the easy A’s are being given)

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2018, 10:27 pm

I took Weather History to help me explain to clients why weather delays are added to project timelines. It covered severe events and the short term data that forecast them. It also showed the same type data where nothing happened. Weather forecasting can always be debated so a quiz or test would have no right answers. It only helps to create statistics. I am sure there are more examples of lecture based "Easy A" classes.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2018, 12:20 am

Colleges want people to have 'Soft Skills' so there are general courses like Business Communication where if you put in decent effort you'll pass. I don't know about an A grade, but certainly a B or B+ if you let yourself be complacent and coast through the course.

I know some may hate the communicating thing or doing presentations, but I found it helped immensely if I think of anything I was already very familiar with from my life so I could talk about it. I mostly needed the note cards for brief reference.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

26 Mar 2018, 3:34 am

I want to a Catholic college prep high-skewl & the classes that were easy A's were classes that the colleges didn't really care about much like PE/gym. I took the easiest courses I could because I had NO desire to go to college & would of dropped out of high-skewl if my parents let me due to struggling in skewl cuz of my ADD & learning disabilities. I think the easy A classes prepared me for just dealing with life/real-world more than the harder 1s did.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Nekomonster
Toucan
Toucan

27 Mar 2018, 7:47 am

Some "easy A's" aren't easy enough for some people. I was in a class where everything was online/in a workbook, including the answers to all the workbook questions and the tests, and it took extremely minimal effort to get an A, yet multiple kids were failing because they didn't care enough to cheat.