Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2018, 2:11 am

South Bend autistic man shows power of music and lyrics

Quote:
"Music helps me express myself," says Will Richards. "It can inspire me."

Richards is 20-years-old and has already written three songs.

"I've always wanted to write a song and I've always wanted to get my feelings out in a song," he adds.

Songs he says, have made who is today.

"When I was in elementary school, they told me I couldn't be in college. I would never make it to college," explains . "Now, I'm in college."

Diagnosed with autism at just three years old, Richards has had his fair share of hardships.

"[In the songs] I'm calling out people who have been rude to people with autism," he says.

He's spent the last three years working with a music therapist, honing in on the power of music and lyrics to overcome his obstacles.

"Over time, I've stopped having the desire to quit. And I started having the desire to keep going," explains Richards.

"He took all of this hurt and made it into something pretty. He made it into something that people could share," adds Carly Thompson, his music therapist.

“Even if people say i'm not going to make it, I'm not going far...well I have," Richard adds simply. "I want people know, you can do it."

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman