Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

HomoAspienAspien
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Mar 2018, 8:30 pm

I have just begun the diagnosis process, and I am looking for community input about one of my behaviors that seems to be related to Asperger’s.

This is a question about stimming…

When I was about 5, I started the habit of staring at my mini-record player, while I played the same song over and over again. Watching the album spin and hearing the same song played again and again was incredibly relaxing for me. This would go on for an hour or more, if nobody stopped me. I remember feeling compelled to do this, like it was a habit.

As I got older, it evolved into staring at a particular image while I repeated a song on my Walkman/CD Player/iPod, etc. This would also go on for an hour or more. For several years, I had a very hard time controlling my impulses to perform this repetitive habit, especially if I was stressed out.

Has anyone ever done something like this or heard about similar behavior? Could it be a form of stimming?

Thank you for reading my wordy post and thank you for any input.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2018, 8:34 pm

I like to listen to the same song over and over. Never really considered it a stim, but I suppose it could be.

The other day I listened to the same song over and over for probably 2+ hours, but I was playing Minecraft at the same time, pausing Minecraft to restart the song every few minutes (Multitasking!?).

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2018, 8:51 pm

I can really relate to this, and I tend to consider listening to the same song over and over a stim because, like you, I also engage in other stims whilst doing it sometimes, and it really calms me down (particularly when I am stressed) and that is the reason why I do it. I think my record for listening to the same song repetitively is something like 8 hours straight or something ridiculous. Again, like many stims, I think some neurotypicals may engage in this behavior as well, but they don't do it for the same reasons autistic people do it, and it probably isn't as repetitive. Gotta love that replay button...... :D

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2018, 10:14 pm

I listen to the same song over and over, I don't know whether or not it would be considered a stim. I also liked watching the CDs spin in the CD players, though I just like to watch things spin.

Maybe the reason for listening to the same song over and over might make it easier to determine if it's a stim or not , like maybe the way the instruments sound in certain parts of the song, maybe you feel better after hearing the song, etc.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2018, 1:11 am

stims are subjective and not really defined as a concrete things, even non autistics stim!

Stimming or Self Stimulatory Behaviour can be used to controlled and calming sensory input that is pleasurable. (watching moving lights, chewing on objects, sniffing people, listening to tapping ect) however stimming can also be used to block out NEGETIVE sensory input that isnt controlable, like humming in a noisy crowd or pressing on the eyes in bright rooms.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Mar 2018, 2:18 am

SplendidSnail wrote:
I like to listen to the same song over and over. Never really considered it a stim, but I suppose it could be.

The other day I listened to the same song over and over for probably 2+ hours, but I was playing Minecraft at the same time, pausing Minecraft to restart the song every few minutes (Multitasking!?).

I do similar. I can listen to the same song for several weeks,or months. When I’m painting I can listen to the same song repeatedly from the start of painting to the finish. A painting can take up to 250 hours. The girlfriend hates it. I’ve sickened her to the point where she hates certain songs. I also like playing certain parts of a piece of music over and over. I never really thought of it as being a stim?

HomoAspienAspien
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Mar 2018, 8:13 pm

Thank you for all of your input. I'm not sure if my impulse to do this was related to Asperger's, but it's good to know that other people do the same thing. I never told anyone about it, because I had two ex's catch me doing it over the years, and on both occasions, they responded with something akin to amusement mixed with disgust. So, it turned into this big secret. I haven't done it in about four years, but it is totally relaxing... they don't know what they've been missing. Thanks again :D