How old are you and when were you diagnosed?

Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2018, 11:13 pm

I wonder who is the youngest person here to be diagnosed as a kid? I am 29 and growing up I always knew I was different and I knew that my neurology was not the same as others but had no Idea about high functioning autism. I only learned a few weeks ago I was diagnosed with Aspergers at 20. I would be interesting to see the diversity in ages diagnosed.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2018, 11:24 pm

I'm definitely not the youngest. I was diagnosed less than a year ago, at age 36.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2018, 11:39 pm

I was diagnosed with HFA at the age of 5 and a half.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2018, 11:40 pm

When I was 12.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2018, 11:42 pm

I'm 25, was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome when I was around nine. Didn't have a clue what it meant until about five years later when I decided to look it up.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2018, 11:54 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:

That is shocking to me. Was that in the early eighties then? I had no idea there was awareness of it back then, I thought diagnosis only became common about 10 years ago.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2018, 12:14 am

Daniel89 wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

That is shocking to me. Was that in the early eighties then? I had no idea there was awareness of it back then, I thought diagnosis only became common about 10 years ago.

My understanding is that Asperger's became diagnosable in 1994 with the DSM-4, and before that, there was just Classic Autism.

I thought you had to be pretty obvious to be diagnosed before 1994, basically level 2+ or nothing. I'd thought that was the main reason I wasn't diagnosed as a child: I wasn't diagnosed because there was nothing to diagnose me with.

There were some pretty obvious signs in early elementary school for me - some of them documented in report cards. I'm pretty sure that, today I would have resulted in a diagnosis at age 6 or so.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2018, 12:51 am

everyone knew i was different when i was a kid but no one wanted to label me as a disability or anything like that. i spent most of my childhood crying about not understanding my peers, stimming by smashing my head into walls, having interests that i shared with no one and not overall not meeting the milestones my older sister did.

when i was 13, in july of 2011 my sister and i got into a fight and i really lost it and went at her with a knife. reasonably she called the police and i was taken to the hospital and arrested. i was required to be evaluated but i didnt really understand what was going on. they asked me if i had friends at school, what i liked. what caused me to get angry and what i felt, ect, they interviewed my dad about my childhood. in January of 2012 i was sent to a child Psychologist who evaluated me again, i told him about my sonic fan characters and how much i hate school, getting bullied ect. after the session he told my dad that i have Aspergers syndrome and that i was hitting almost every typical aspergers traits that he normally sees. i was only told of my diagnoses in march of 2012. and by then i was 14.

the diagnoses put everything together like finishing a puzzle or tying loose ends. finally we had answers and i could get help.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2018, 12:53 am

SplendidSnail wrote:
Daniel89 wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

My understanding is that Asperger's became diagnosable in 1994 with the DSM-4, and before that, there was just Classic Autism.

I thought you had to be pretty obvious to be diagnosed before 1994, basically level 2+ or nothing. I'd thought that was the main reason I wasn't diagnosed as a child: I wasn't diagnosed because there was nothing to diagnose me with.

There were some pretty obvious signs in early elementary school for me - some of them documented in report cards. I'm pretty sure that, today I would have resulted in a diagnosis at age 6 or so.

Mine was only language impairment and no one knew what was wrong with me and couldn't figure it out. I had other labels thrown at me like dyspraxia, ADD, communication disorder NOS, cognitive disorder NOS.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2018, 1:18 am

League_Girl wrote:

Mine was only language impairment and no one knew what was wrong with me and couldn't figure it out. I had other labels thrown at me like dyspraxia, ADD, communication disorder NOS, cognitive disorder NOS.

When I was little and in special needs apparently I was deemed to be "lateral minded" which just sounds like something from the 1950's to me.

plokijuh
Toucan
Toucan

28 Mar 2018, 1:47 am

I am 31 and I was diagnosed 2 months ago.

But parents say they worked it out when I was 11 (1997), but didn't think I'd want to know and didn't think psychologists would have anything to offer. Hmmm. Yes I did want to know.

AQ: 42 (Scores in the 33-50 range indicate significant Austistic traits)
RAADS-R: 165
RDOS: Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 159 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 44 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Last edited by plokijuh on 28 Mar 2018, 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2018, 1:58 am

My daughter was diagnosed at age 8. She is very high functioning, fairly socially compentent and masks. As it was it was entirley impossible to get any help through the NHS despite coming in to the gp with what I feel in retrospect where fairly obvious signs of autism from age 5 onwards. At 8 when I finally came across female autism it was indisputable in my mind and I paid for a private diagnosis. If we would have waited for the NHS to help I believe she would have made it to secondary school without a diagnosis.

In my mind diagnosis has made all the difference. It was very hard making school understand her needs age 5-8 and they were not taken seriously. Diagnosis has given her a lot of peace of mind and also made the envonroment more flexible and understanding. I feel a lot of anger and disgust that we were not given help earlier though the NHS and that there are undoubtedly so many poeple out there who don't pursue the private option either because of finances or because they get sidetracked by having GPs and teachers telling them over and over that it is not worth pursuing. I feel everyone should get get the clarity we now have if they seek it.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2018, 2:32 am

Daniel89 wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

It was rare but possible. Courtney Love got diagnosed in the 70’s, Darryl Hannah in the 60’s.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2018, 3:32 am

I was already at school but younger than ten... so around 7-9?

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2018, 4:07 am

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2018, 4:31 am

Officially diagnosed couple of months before I turned 3. But they were pretty sure a while before that.