Mother charged with trying to decapitate Autistic son

Page 1 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2018, 3:02 am

’Overwhelmed’ mom accused of trying to decapitate son with bow saw

Quote:
Police in Maryland have charged a Rockville area woman with trying to saw the head off her 11-year-old son with autism, according to court documents.

Kristina Naranch Petrie, 46, is charged with attempted first-degree murder, first-degree child abuse and second-degree child abuse, according to Montgomery County District Court records.

Petrie told staff at MedStar Montgomery Medical Center, where her husband took her March 12 after the alleged crime, that she “felt overwhelmed and that she was not doing enough to help her children with their autism, according to a charging affidavit obtained by ABC7 in Washington. Petrie lives with her husband and two sons in a two-story, red brick home in the middle-class Aspen Hill area just east of Rockville.

“Kristina Petrie stated that she did not want her children to grow up to be a burden to society and that the children needed to die,” the court document stated.

She reportedly admitted to hospital staff that she tried to cut her son’s head off with a saw. The affidavit also alleges that at one point during her treatment, when she was asked why she was at the hospital, she responded that she “tried to kill her kids again.”

Petrie’s 11-year-old son, the victim in the case, told Montgomery County police investigators that he arrived home from school on March 12 to find his younger brother crying on the sofa.

His mother was alternating between crying and laughing, the boy told police.

The boy said he went upstairs to play a video game before starting his homework. A short time later, his mother appeared at his doorway and asked why he wasn’t doing his work.

She had a bow saw in her hand as she asked the question, the affidavit said.

When he said he would start his homework soon, she allegedly raised the saw toward him, and the boy told detectives he tried to run into the hallway.

“Victim A stated that he ended up in the kneeling position as Kristina Petrie ‘jammed’ the bow saw into the back of his neck, moved it back and forth multiple times and ‘tried to kill’ him,” the document said.

The boy said he started screaming, and that his mother was screaming and crying. He was ultimately able to get the saw away from her.

The boy suffered injuries that, three days later, appeared to detectives as “several thin lines with the skin broken and some scabbing,” the affidavit stated. He also had visible cuts on his left shoulder and red marks in a diagonal pattern on his back between his shoulder blades.

The victim also had small cuts on his left hand.

The younger son was apparently unharmed in the attack.

Andrew Petrie, the boy’s father, told investigators that his wife called him the afternoon of the incident and told him that she’d attacked their son with a saw, the court document said. He rushed home and took his wife to the hospital.

ABC7 reported that Kristina Petrie’s defense attorney, Sharon Diamant, said her client had “absolutely no intent” to harm anyone. She said that Petrie, who has been “happily married” for 15 years, has no prior criminal history and loves her children.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2018, 3:46 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
’Overwhelmed’ mom accused of trying to decapitate son with bow saw
Quote:
Police in Maryland have charged a Rockville area woman with trying to saw the head off her 11-year-old son with autism, according to court documents.

Kristina Naranch Petrie, 46, is charged with attempted first-degree murder, first-degree child abuse and second-degree child abuse, according to Montgomery County District Court records.

Petrie told staff at MedStar Montgomery Medical Center, where her husband took her March 12 after the alleged crime, that she “felt overwhelmed and that she was not doing enough to help her children with their autism, according to a charging affidavit obtained by ABC7 in Washington. Petrie lives with her husband and two sons in a two-story, red brick home in the middle-class Aspen Hill area just east of Rockville.

“Kristina Petrie stated that she did not want her children to grow up to be a burden to society and that the children needed to die,” the court document stated.

She reportedly admitted to hospital staff that she tried to cut her son’s head off with a saw. The affidavit also alleges that at one point during her treatment, when she was asked why she was at the hospital, she responded that she “tried to kill her kids again.”

Petrie’s 11-year-old son, the victim in the case, told Montgomery County police investigators that he arrived home from school on March 12 to find his younger brother crying on the sofa.

His mother was alternating between crying and laughing, the boy told police.

The boy said he went upstairs to play a video game before starting his homework. A short time later, his mother appeared at his doorway and asked why he wasn’t doing his work.

She had a bow saw in her hand as she asked the question, the affidavit said.

When he said he would start his homework soon, she allegedly raised the saw toward him, and the boy told detectives he tried to run into the hallway.

“Victim A stated that he ended up in the kneeling position as Kristina Petrie ‘jammed’ the bow saw into the back of his neck, moved it back and forth multiple times and ‘tried to kill’ him,” the document said.

The boy said he started screaming, and that his mother was screaming and crying. He was ultimately able to get the saw away from her.

The boy suffered injuries that, three days later, appeared to detectives as “several thin lines with the skin broken and some scabbing,” the affidavit stated. He also had visible cuts on his left shoulder and red marks in a diagonal pattern on his back between his shoulder blades.

The victim also had small cuts on his left hand.

The younger son was apparently unharmed in the attack.

Andrew Petrie, the boy’s father, told investigators that his wife called him the afternoon of the incident and told him that she’d attacked their son with a saw, the court document said. He rushed home and took his wife to the hospital.

ABC7 reported that Kristina Petrie’s defense attorney, Sharon Diamant, said her client had “absolutely no intent” to harm anyone. She said that Petrie, who has been “happily married” for 15 years, has no prior criminal history and loves her children.

Its that fabled NT "empathy" and "compassion" we hear so much about.

Usually when NTs try to kill us because of their pathological hatred of that which does not make sense to them, they will usually claim that they didn't have enough "support" whatever that means.

"It must be understood, that neither by word nor deed had I given Fortunato cause to doubt my good-will. I continued as was my wont, to smile in his face, and he did not perceive that my smile was at the thought of his immolation."

Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado

KissMyDirndl
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Mar 2018, 3:58 pm

This is really disturbing and hard to read. :(

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 188 of 200
Your neurotypical (Non-Autistic) score: 38 of 200

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2018, 6:08 pm

This mother, obviously, had serious problems which went beyond the fact that her son had autism.

She is NOT an example of how a typical "NT" would have handled the boy.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2018, 10:32 pm

I'm glad that mother was charged. Every parent who tries to kill their disabled child should be charged and I'm sure about my feelings.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2018, 11:34 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
This mother, obviously, had serious problems which went beyond the fact that her son had autism.

Or you could use Internet Logic, which is where you take the worst 0.001% of a group and then say that represents the group as a whole.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2018, 12:07 am

I think so, parents who try and kill their kids are minority to start off...

eikonabridge
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2018, 8:31 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I'm glad that mother was charged. Every parent who tries to kill their disabled child should be charged and I'm sure about my feelings.

Well, we'll have to discuss who the real disabled (as in "intellectually disabled") are. But that's another subject. I don't view autism as a disability. I view parents, teachers, therapists and our society in general as the ones that are truly disabled. People talk too much, and produce too little with their hands. Why don't we interview all these killer parents and see what objects they have built, what pictures they have drawn, what articles they have written, what animation video clips they have made, for their children? Oops. I forgot, they are all intellectually disabled. Is there any surprise that my children are happy, and smart? Last quarter my son scored at 93rd percentile in English in California's MAP (measurement of academic progress) test, I was jumping up and down. Guess what? Two weeks ago, in parent-teacher meeting, the teacher showed me the new result: it was now at 98th percentile. Sure, once you are that way high up, you can only go down, ha ha. On my son's IEP it was noted that he smiled "from ear to ear." Yeap, like that... every day. I am about to print out my daughter's first comic book, and you can also check on my YouTube about her latest piano composition, where she played the keyboard with two hands and one foot (on the "pitch bend" wheel), ha ha. My life is just wonderful, full of fun. Disability? What disability? So don't come and tell me that autism is a disability. It is not. Instead of wasting time in discussing whether autism is a disorder/disability or not, people really ought to look at their own hands, and ask the question: "What have I created with my hands, lately?"

As for killer parents, it suffices to google and you'll find an endless list of them. Unfortunately, people have this idea that autism is a disorder/disability, so they start to have pitty for those criminal parents. See, look at this case in Hong Kong. The killer father slashed his son about 100 times with a knife, while the boy was asleep. Guess what? The man got a meager sentence of 4 years of jail time. Why? Because the judge thought life was tough to take care of an autistic child. See, the man was able to slash and kill his son with a knife, but unable to draw pictures, write down sentences, built 3D objects, assemble electronic circuits, for his son. Yeap, people prefer to use their hands to hold a knife to kill their children, instead of using the very same hands to communicate with their children.

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/law-crime/article/2002302/martyr-his-family-hong-kong-court-jails-father-four-years

Now, tell me, who are the truly mentally ill out there? Who are the intellectually disabled?

- - -

It's not a matter of majority/minority. I simply haven't seen any other parent that comes close to me, in using their hands to communicate with their children. Zero, nil, nada. All I see is people whining. I don't see the products of their hands. Those killer parents are not the minority... in the sense that they don't create anything with their hands. Parents that don't use their hands to create, unfortunately, are the rule, not the exception.

The question to everyone is very simple: what have you created with your hands, lately?

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2018, 8:58 am

Scary person!

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2018, 9:40 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

I agree. She sounds seriously mentally ill. Alternating between crying and laughing sounds like she was pretty unstable and the act wasn’t malice but illness. I’m really sorry for kids. Actually, I’m sorry for the whole family.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2018, 1:17 pm

eikonabridge wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

Well, we'll have to discuss who the real disabled (as in "intellectually disabled") are. But that's another subject. I don't view autism as a disability. I view parents, teachers, therapists and our society in general as the ones that are truly disabled. People talk too much, and produce too little with their hands. Why don't we interview all these killer parents and see what objects they have built, what pictures they have drawn, what articles they have written, what animation video clips they have made, for their children? Oops. I forgot, they are all intellectually disabled. Is there any surprise that my children are happy, and smart? Last quarter my son scored at 93rd percentile in English in California's MAP (measurement of academic progress) test, I was jumping up and down. Guess what? Two weeks ago, in parent-teacher meeting, the teacher showed me the new result: it was now at 98th percentile. Sure, once you are that way high up, you can only go down, ha ha. On my son's IEP it was noted that he smiled "from ear to ear." Yeap, like that... every day. I am about to print out my daughter's first comic book, and you can also check on my YouTube about her latest piano composition, where she played the keyboard with two hands and one foot (on the "pitch bend" wheel), ha ha. My life is just wonderful, full of fun. Disability? What disability? So don't come and tell me that autism is a disability. It is not. Instead of wasting time in discussing whether autism is a disorder/disability or not, people really ought to look at their own hands, and ask the question: "What have I created with my hands, lately?"

As for killer parents, it suffices to google and you'll find an endless list of them. Unfortunately, people have this idea that autism is a disorder/disability, so they start to have pitty for those criminal parents. See, look at this case in Hong Kong. The killer father slashed his son about 100 times with a knife, while the boy was asleep. Guess what? The man got a meager sentence of 4 years of jail time. Why? Because the judge thought life was tough to take care of an autistic child. See, the man was able to slash and kill his son with a knife, but unable to draw pictures, write down sentences, built 3D objects, assemble electronic circuits, for his son. Yeap, people prefer to use their hands to hold a knife to kill their children, instead of using the very same hands to communicate with their children.

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/law-crime/article/2002302/martyr-his-family-hong-kong-court-jails-father-four-years

Now, tell me, who are the truly mentally ill out there? Who are the intellectually disabled?

- - -

It's not a matter of majority/minority. I simply haven't seen any other parent that comes close to me, in using their hands to communicate with their children. Zero, nil, nada. All I see is people whining. I don't see the products of their hands. Those killer parents are not the minority... in the sense that they don't create anything with their hands. Parents that don't use their hands to create, unfortunately, are the rule, not the exception.

The question to everyone is very simple: what have you created with your hands, lately?

A person does not deserve to be a victim of filicide and the parent who kills their kid in anything but a situation where the kid was a threat to the parent's life deserves no sympathy and the deceased all the sympathy. Autism being a gift or a horrible disease is irrelevant to the depravity of filicide.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2018, 3:23 pm

I'm sure plenty of NTs are feeling nothing but sympathy for her when they would have been horrified and outraged if it had been a "normal" child. Because it's perfectly okay to do violent things to autistic people but when a person who is violent happens to be on the spectrum they think we're all cold emotionless psychopaths.

Stop the world, I need to get off. :(

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2018, 3:53 pm

eikonabridge wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

- - -

Well that still seems kind of ignorant, normal people that function normally in the world are not disabled...that just isn't how it works. Disabled describes people who struggle to get on normally in the world. Even if people with autism have talents and skills that does not diminish our struggles and difficulties getting on in the world. Sure I don't like to be 'disabled' especially as I've gotten older and have really started to see what it truly means to have an invisible disability. But I didn't really get a diagnoses till I was like 22 or 23 so up until that point I didn't know what it was with me...and was always way too hard on myself.

I mean if its not a disability I should be able to fairly easily get and keep a job, but I can't do that I need help...so I am starting with voc-rehab again since the job I got while working with them last time didn't work out. There are things I want to do with my life but it seems to me I need some help to get there. Yes, I'd love to just throw myself out there and figure it out but I already tried that too many times and failed. I am not saying your view-point is wrong for your life or situation, I mean everyone has a different experience. But my experience as an autistic person is that it is a Disability. Maybe in a different kind of society it wouldn't be a disability but currently living in this society its certainly a disability to me. That is why I get SSI income, can't very well argue 'I'm not disabled' out of pride...because then I'd be back to where I started with no financial help.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2018, 4:18 pm

8O I live in Rockville Maryland and this is the first I have heard of this!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2018, 4:29 pm

eikonabridge wrote:
Well, we'll have to discuss who the real disabled (as in "intellectually disabled") are. But that's another subject.

In one line you managed to marginalise both people with ID and NTs...that must be a record for WP

One small istsy bitsy thing missed in stories like this is it neglects that parents of children with autism have a higher chance of having a mental illness

In particular schizophrenia. The mother could well have been having a delusional episode

eikonabridge
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2018, 7:25 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
I mean if its not a disability I should be able to fairly easily get and keep a job, but I can't do that I need help...so I am starting with voc-rehab again since the job I got while working with them last time didn't work out. There are things I want to do with my life but it seems to me I need some help to get there. Yes, I'd love to just throw myself out there and figure it out but I already tried that too many times and failed. I am not saying your view-point is wrong for your life or situation, I mean everyone has a different experience. But my experience as an autistic person is that it is a Disability. Maybe in a different kind of society it wouldn't be a disability but currently living in this society its certainly a disability to me. That is why I get SSI income, can't very well argue 'I'm not disabled' out of pride...because then I'd be back to where I started with no financial help.

Autism did not cause any of your problems. You heard me right. Don't blame your problems on autism. Autism's gotta nothing to do with your problems.

If autism is a problem, how come my children are successful? How come I am successful? Can you please explain that? How come I have a happy family? How come my neurotypical wife would tell everyone that, if she had a choice, she would still choose to raise autistic children, instead of neurotypical children?

Understand this point first, because it is crucial: autism did not cause any of your problems.

Every day, I would look at my children, admire their smiles and their creativity. I am happy, but at the same time a bit poignant. My children have a childhood that I did not have. Don't get me wrong, my parents are very good parents, I love them. But they did not understand me. I had to grow up without being understood.

- - -

In the parents forum, I have explained, time and again, that all symptoms of autism are identical to those from people that have undergone extended solitary confinement. One person just asked about his step-son's OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder).

Your problems are caused by solitary confinement: your parents, teachers, and everyone around you, did not how to communicate with you. You grew up flying solo. The damage from solitary confinement can be long-lasting.

Your parents, teachers, and people around you (e.g. therapists, if you had them) were intellectually disabled, like most parents, teachers, and therapists today out there. They had no clue how to raise you. They left you in solitary confinement, your entire life long.

Your problem is you are underdeveloped.

Underdevelopment is the elephant in the room that no one wants to look at. Everyone just wants to look at OCD, sensory issues, verbal shortcomings, lack of social skills, or the fact that they can't get jobs or retain jobs, etc. Everyone just want to reach these Hallelujah mountain peaks (as in Avatar movie), without realizing that these lofty goals are simply fantasies: real mountain peaks sit on top of a body and a foundation. Real mountain peaks don't float in the air. People waste time in all those useless therapies. The real problems are not sensory issues, verbal issues, or lack of social skills. None of those things are relevant. All those things are all Hallelujah mountain peaks.

http://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=296628

Why don't you check out my past postings, or my YouTube channel, and see with your own eyes what I have made with my hands, or what my children have made with their hands? We don't just talk. We create things. Things that people can see, can touch, can read, or can watch. No one single other parent in the world comes close to what I have created with my own hands for my children. Show me one single other parent that has raised their children by making animation video clips. Go, google, ask around. Search around the world over. You will find zero, nil, nada. In my children's early years, I talked to them, every day, every night, through drawing pictures and writing down words. You think my children's reading skills came from nowhere? My son was hyperactive, couldn't focus on anything static when he was 2.5 years old, let alone recognize any letters. But one day, I came to understand him. Before he was 3 years old, I've taught him to read books. Yeap, not just words, but sentences. I understood him in time, but I still regret having wasted about 1 year of my son's life: I should have understood him earlier.

Autistic children communicate through visual-manual channel. Parents that don't use their hands are effectively leaving their children in solitary confinement.

- - -

Autism did not cause any of your problems. Underdevelopment did.

- - -

Autistic people do have amazing brains. Don't let yourself get into the self-pity stage. You do have excess of neural connections. To help yourself, there is no need to look at anything else. You simply need to look at your own hands, and ask this very simple question: "What have I created lately, with my own hands?" If the answer is nothing, then you know where your problem lies.

Go out, google around. Write, draw, learn to use image/video/sound editors. Acquire skills. Express yourself, in 2D or 3D. (This weekend I want to build a safety elevator model with my son, to mimic Elisha Otis' original safety elevator. It's for a school presentation, related to a biography project.) Learn some programming languages. Learn some foreign languages. Look for MOOC courses. Learn to do projects with Raspberry Pi and Arduino. You don't need to pick so many things, but you could start with a foreign language.

I do know about group homes. But I am not sure that's the best solution. People's lives get all too easy, and they stop learning. Life is fun and there is plenty to learn. Self-pity is not the way to go.