Mother charged with trying to decapitate Autistic son

Page 3 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2018, 5:28 pm

LaetiBlabla wrote:
"Mother charged with trying to decapitate Autistic son"
... that does not mean all NTs are children murderers, I have read/heard of stories with very nice NTs bringing a lot of care to their autistic child, with great results.

Temple Grandin has nothing but positive things to say about her mother living in the era when mother's were blamed for their child becoming autistic

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2018, 5:33 pm

cyberdad wrote:
LaetiBlabla wrote:
... that does not mean all NTs are children murderers, I have read/heard of stories with very nice NTs bringing a lot of care to their autistic child, with great results.

Temple Grandin has nothing but positive things to say about her mother living in the era when mother's were blamed for their child becoming autistic

Her mum must have had a lot of courage to face blaming,
she also thought her courage to her daughter who needed it too

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2018, 5:43 pm

Parents of autistic kids carry an old stigma (that hasn't left our society) that having a child with disability means it's somehow our fault.

Arkena
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Apr 2018, 5:57 pm

RainbowUnion wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
’Overwhelmed’ mom accused of trying to decapitate son with bow saw
Quote:
Police in Maryland have charged a Rockville area woman with trying to saw the head off her 11-year-old son with autism, according to court documents.

Kristina Naranch Petrie, 46, is charged with attempted first-degree murder, first-degree child abuse and second-degree child abuse, according to Montgomery County District Court records.

Petrie told staff at MedStar Montgomery Medical Center, where her husband took her March 12 after the alleged crime, that she “felt overwhelmed and that she was not doing enough to help her children with their autism, according to a charging affidavit obtained by ABC7 in Washington. Petrie lives with her husband and two sons in a two-story, red brick home in the middle-class Aspen Hill area just east of Rockville.

“Kristina Petrie stated that she did not want her children to grow up to be a burden to society and that the children needed to die,” the court document stated.

She reportedly admitted to hospital staff that she tried to cut her son’s head off with a saw. The affidavit also alleges that at one point during her treatment, when she was asked why she was at the hospital, she responded that she “tried to kill her kids again.”

Petrie’s 11-year-old son, the victim in the case, told Montgomery County police investigators that he arrived home from school on March 12 to find his younger brother crying on the sofa.

His mother was alternating between crying and laughing, the boy told police.

The boy said he went upstairs to play a video game before starting his homework. A short time later, his mother appeared at his doorway and asked why he wasn’t doing his work.

She had a bow saw in her hand as she asked the question, the affidavit said.

When he said he would start his homework soon, she allegedly raised the saw toward him, and the boy told detectives he tried to run into the hallway.

“Victim A stated that he ended up in the kneeling position as Kristina Petrie ‘jammed’ the bow saw into the back of his neck, moved it back and forth multiple times and ‘tried to kill’ him,” the document said.

The boy said he started screaming, and that his mother was screaming and crying. He was ultimately able to get the saw away from her.

The boy suffered injuries that, three days later, appeared to detectives as “several thin lines with the skin broken and some scabbing,” the affidavit stated. He also had visible cuts on his left shoulder and red marks in a diagonal pattern on his back between his shoulder blades.

The victim also had small cuts on his left hand.

The younger son was apparently unharmed in the attack.

Andrew Petrie, the boy’s father, told investigators that his wife called him the afternoon of the incident and told him that she’d attacked their son with a saw, the court document said. He rushed home and took his wife to the hospital.

ABC7 reported that Kristina Petrie’s defense attorney, Sharon Diamant, said her client had “absolutely no intent” to harm anyone. She said that Petrie, who has been “happily married” for 15 years, has no prior criminal history and loves her children.

Its that fabled NT "empathy" and "compassion" we hear so much about.

Usually when NTs try to kill us because of their pathological hatred of that which does not make sense to them, they will usually claim that they didn't have enough "support" whatever that means.

Ive experienced NT bullying and teasing because i was clearly different from mild to severe ie threat of being stabbed...they seem to have an intollerance of what isnt like them...homophobia...etc. Have to remind myself to be better than how they treat me at times. I have see some places as not autism friendly on the internet etc, not "safe places".

Your comment probably wasnt designed so but it made me laugh when yu reffered to their empathy and compassion :)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2018, 7:01 pm

Unfortunately the lack of tolerance in society is something evolving in stages. Slowly.

In the interim I like your comment that we have to be better than how they treat us. It's the hardest thing in the world not to stoop to the level of your detractors.

It is, however, a separate matter on how NTs treat their own kids. The vast majority do have compassion but I admit it is hard to be empathetic when you can't walk in the same shoes as your child.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2018, 9:32 pm

eikonabridge wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
eikonabridge wrote:
Schizophrenia and autism are not mental illnesses. As much as you want them to be, they cannot be considered as mental illnesses. They are not outlier behaviors. They are part of what's normal. They are intended by Mother Nature.

Good luck trying to debate that line with the American Psychiatric Association.

Galileo lost his fight against Inquisition, didn't he? That's the fate of being the first one, or among the first ones, to introduce new lines of thinking. Yeap, 350 years later, the Vatican did issue an official apology to Galileo.

Mate, I am not expecting any spectacular changes before I am dead. I am not here for the short term. If you are aiming only for your living days, then I'd say you are aiming too low.

I make changes happen. One teacher at a time, one school at a time. I don't just talk. I make real changes happen. Once the changes happen, the effects carry over to other children as well. Sure, there are hard heads out there. But changes do happen. As I always say: "Catch up if you can."

For every Galileo there's a slew of crackpots.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2018, 10:08 pm

eikonabridge wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Out of the millions of autistic people you and your family are the only ones who figured it all out. If our brains are so amazing how come every other autistic in the world never fully figured it out?

Ha ha, yeap. Precisely. I am the first and only one to have figured it out.

I am not that smart. I am only mildly smart. On a scale of 1 to 10, I put myself at 5.5. I've had the privilege of hanging around smart people: those at the scale of 1 in a billion (that would be a score of 9). I am nowhere close. I do know what smartness is.

Now, an important question is, why haven't other people figured it out? Why haven't any of those people that were so much smarter than I was figured all this out?

Do you know why?

I'll tell you why. Because they were ashamed to be autistic. They viewed autism as a disorder, like you. They were not proud to be themselves. One single minor hesitation like that, diverts your attention from the correct path. Butterfly effect, you know about that.

As I have always said: "Catch up if you can."

While you guys continue to be asleep, I have kept plowing forward, like my children.

Every autistic is not ashamed to be autistic. The neurodiversity movement is based on not being ashamed of being autistic. How come they have not figured it all out?

I view autism as part of the human difference. As a human condition has good parts and disordered parts. I am not ashamed of my autism a condition I was born with, for the same reason I am not proud of it. You can keep on repeating I think autism is disorder only or mainly a disorder and that I am ashamed of it until you are blue in the face that does not make it true. But then I must be wrong because you know everything about me because you have figured it all out.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2018, 10:09 pm

We’d better get the message that many people are serious about what a misfortune we autistics are to our families and that they’d rather have us dead than autistic.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2018, 8:39 am

I don't even see how her being an "autism mom" factors into this. Her kid is clearly very high-functioning, and she attacked him just because he put a video game on after school. It's not like he's smearing feces on the wall and screaming 24/7. Which still wouldn't excuse what she did, but at least the stress level would be understandable. This lady's just a nut grasping at straws to explain herself.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2018, 9:34 am

naturalplastic wrote:
8O I live in Rockville Maryland and this is the first I have heard of this!

Maybe the OP has a link to an article speaking about this event?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2018, 9:47 am

LaetiBlabla wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
LaetiBlabla wrote:

Her mum must have had a lot of courage to face blaming,
she also thought her courage to her daughter who needed it too

Her mother rebelled by trying to teach her to be normal so she can function as normal. Her mom did it to show that she didn't need to be in an institution. Her father wanted her in one. I cringed when I read that part by Temple in one of her books. So it was like her mom taught her for the wrong reason, not because she wanted what was best for her and that she wanted her to be independent. Hopefully Temple didn't mean that and that is not what her mother was doing. Maybe she sees it that way. But she doesn't seem to have a problem with what her mom did.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2018, 9:53 am

Reasons and motives are as diverse as the neurones :)

But at least they succeeded altogether

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2018, 10:12 am

YippySkippy wrote:
I don't even see how her being an "autism mom" factors into this. Her kid is clearly very high-functioning, and she attacked him just because he put a video game on after school. It's not like he's smearing feces on the wall and screaming 24/7. Which still wouldn't excuse what she did, but at least the stress level would be understandable. This lady's just a nut grasping at straws to explain herself.

Agreed.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2018, 10:16 am

Yep....I would put her in the "certifiable nut" category.

I would say the kid's autism had little to do with what she did.

The pathology is squarely within HER.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2018, 10:19 am

Did this really happen?

OP, do you have any source? Thank you

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2018, 10:28 am

LaetiBlabla wrote:
Did this really happen?

OP, do you have any source? Thank you

The OP cited a source I'm not familiar with, but here's an ABC news and a Newsweek article saying the same thing:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/police-overwhe ... d=54089338

http://www.newsweek.com/overwhelmed-mot ... saw-865942