Majority of Americans Support Free Healthcare

Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2018, 10:20 am

Spiderpig wrote:

But the rich person may not be okay with being robbed, and they probably have more guns than you do, or can hire them, so there’s that minor complication.

They're not being "robbed," and, last time I checked, the rich aren't the only ones who pay taxes.

Quote:
Who said anything about killing? There’s a big difference between killing and letting die. You don’t have to get your hands dirty with the former when the latter is enough.

It's the same thing.

And I get the fact that you're frustrated at society, and are trying very hard to be an Edgelord, but, seeing as we have many poor/disabled folks on this site, suggesting that we should all just hurry-up and die already is veering into trolling territory.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2018, 11:09 am

XFilesGeek wrote:
They're not being "robbed,"

Yes, they are, by the government, under threat of violence, like any other racketeering group does.

XFilesGeek wrote:
and, last time I checked, the rich aren't the only ones who pay taxes.

Well, that only weakens your argument, since you are the one who brought up the rich:

XFilesGeek wrote:
If some rich person can't afford another ivory back-scratcher because of it, I'm okay with that.

So now you admit the money may, in fact, come from a not-so-rich person being robbed of something a bit more essential than an ivory back scratcher. Good.

XFilesGeek wrote:
Quote:
Who said anything about killing? There’s a big difference between killing and letting die. You don’t have to get your hands dirty with the former when the latter is enough.

It's the same thing.

Really? So if I threaten to kill myself unless you do whatever I want you to and you don’t comply, are you a murderer? Good to know. Also, there are a lot of people dying of starvation in the world right now. If letting them die is morally equivalent to going there and shooting them in the head, then everyone else on Earth is a murderer, too.

XFilesGeek wrote:
And I get the fact that you're frustrated at society, and are trying very hard to be an Edgelord, but, seeing as we have many poor/disabled folks on this site, suggesting that we should all just hurry-up and die already is veering into trolling territory.

I like debating, and playing devil’s advocate is often a good strategy to shed light on people’s views. If that counts as trolling to you, too bad, but I’m not the one engaging in cheap ad hominem attacks.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2018, 11:21 am

Spiderpig wrote:

Yes, they are, by the government, under threat of violence, like any other racketeering group does.

No, they're paying taxes for the upkeep of the society in which we all benefit, and for which the rich and well-off benefit most of all.

If they object, then they can go live in a hut in the woods, eat bugs and berries, and not to have to pay taxes at all. If you want society's comfort and protection, you pay. Period.

Quote:
So now you admit the money may, in fact, come from a not-so-rich person being robbed of something a bit more essential than an ivory back scratcher. Good.

Nope. I brought up the rich since people usually bemoan that they pay oh-so-many-more taxes than the poor. Regular folks pay taxes as well.

Quote:
Really? So if I threaten to kill myself unless you do whatever I want you to and you don’t comply, are you a murderer? Good to know. Also, there are a lot of people dying of starvation in the world right now. If letting them die is morally equivalent to going there and shooting them in the head, then everyone else on Earth is a murderer, too.

If a person is lying in the street, bleeding to death, and you step over them without bothering to help, yes, you're complicit in their death.

Quote:
I like debating, and playing devil’s advocate is often a good strategy to shed light on people’s views. If that counts as trolling to you, too bad, but I’m not the one engaging in cheap ad hominem attacks.

No, it's not "too bad." Purposely winding-people-up, or sh_t-posting just to sh_t-post, is trolling.

Suggesting the poor/disabled should be left to die on a forum full of disabled/poor people is a lame attempt at being "edge-y," and is rapidly descending into troll territory.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2018, 11:23 am

Spiderpig wrote:
And the same goes for the atmosphere. Besides, once you have to pay for every breath of air, all the problems of poverty will be solved very quickly :skull:

Obligatory Film Reference
VVV

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2018, 12:55 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
No, they're paying taxes for the upkeep of the society in which we all benefit, and for which the rich and well-off benefit most of all.

How do the rich benefit most of all? On the contrary, they pay the most and get in return the same as everyone else. It’s a really bad deal for them. No wonder noöne asked them if they wanted it, and no wonder they’re defending themselves from it by gradually dismantling it.

XFilesGeek wrote:
If they object, then they can go live in a hut in the woods, eat bugs and berries, and not to have to pay taxes at all. If you want society's comfort and protection, you pay. Period.

Or they can do what they’re already doing. If you want anything at all, you pay for it yourself. Period.

XFilesGeek wrote:
Quote:

Nope. I brought up the rich since people usually bemoan that they pay oh-so-many-more taxes than the poor. Regular folks pay taxes as well.

So what’s your point? They’re also being robbed, so they have every moral right to defend themselves, too. If they want the robbery to continue because they like the freebies they’re getting at other, richer taxpayers’ expense, they’re complicit with the robbery and should expect to be dealt with accordingly.

XFilesGeek wrote:
Quote:

If a person is lying in the street, bleeding to death, and you step over them without bothering to help, yes, you're complicit in their death.

Dodging the question, I see.

If I see someone lying on the street bleeding to death, I’ll be sure to give them a wide berth, thank you very much. I don’t want to get dirty or catch any disease from them, or get involved in whatever happened so they ended up that way, and I’ll have better things to do with my time than stopping to take a close look, so I’ll probably not even notice they’re bleeding to death. It’s their problem, not mine, and I have every right to mind my own business and not give a s**t about them.

If others are so concerned about that person, let them spend their own time and precious resources and risk getting in trouble taking care of them, not me. They’re free to do so; no need to try to enslave me to do the same against my will. Besides, forcing me to take care of someone will only make me hate both them and you. I don’t think that’s the best situation to trust someone with your life.

XFilesGeek wrote:
Quote:

No, it's not "too bad." Purposely winding-people-up, or sh_t-posting just to sh_t-post, is trolling.

Suggesting the poor/disabled should be left to die on a forum full of disabled/poor people is a lame attempt at being "edge-y," and is rapidly descending into troll territory.

Yes, it is too bad. I’m not winding anyone up; I’m totally serious about my arguments. You are the one gratuitously ascribing me motives; I wasn’t talking about myself at all, because it’s beside the point. Yes, I am a worthless moocher who will die very quickly once the government stops artificially keeping me alive at taxpayers’ expense. This in no way, shape or form invalidates anything of what I said here, because the truth is the truth no matter who says it.

I get that you don’t like me debating here and probably will shut me up soon one way or the other. I’m sorry if I misunderstood the purpose of this thread, or of the forums as a whole. In order to make sure I don’t screw up again, I now leave this discussion for good.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2018, 1:00 pm

The rich benefit by profiting from all the labour of the poor. Without a healthy workforce toiling away for them they wouldn't be living the high life. If they don't want to pay high enough wages for people to afford medicine, then they can pay the taxes towards universal healthcare directly instead.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2018, 4:00 pm

^ Thanks Goldfish.

/Thread

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2018, 4:13 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
The rich benefit by profiting from all the labour of the poor. Without a healthy workforce toiling away for them they wouldn't be living the high life. If they don't want to pay high enough wages for people to afford medicine, then they can pay the taxes towards universal healthcare directly instead.

It's cheaper to bomb other countries and then replace local dead workers with refugees.

That's why our wealthy overlords do that.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2018, 4:35 pm

So then learn from the Parkland teens and vote out anyone that protects the health insurance industry and opposes a single payer healthcare system & elect officials who will do the job they’re put in office for.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2018, 6:28 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
They're not being "robbed,"

XFilesGeek wrote:
and, last time I checked, the rich aren't the only ones who pay taxes.

Well, that only weakens your argument, since you are the one who brought up the rich:

XFilesGeek wrote:
If some rich person can't afford another ivory back-scratcher because of it, I'm okay with that.

XFilesGeek wrote:
Quote:

It's the same thing.

XFilesGeek wrote:

I don't think taxes constitute robbing for many reasons. For one as X-Files pointed out, taxes are supposed to come back to the citizens in the form of services. Second, your perception that your money is yours. Your currency, like any land that you own, is not sovereign. This is something libertarians seem to have a hard time accepting. The government creates money and dictates how you can use it, and the government defines the concept of land ownership and dictates who has a right to it. As part of the conditions under which the government lets you use their money, you must pay taxes when certain monetary exchanges take place. You must also pay land taxes. This is essentially rent and the government is your landlord. In return for your land taxes, the govenment agrees to cede you certain rights to it.

Government does occasionally rob people. It's called civil asset forfeiture.

Imagine you are driving along the road and you get pulled over for going a few miles above the speed limit. You happen to have $2,000 on you in cash because you are going to buy a new computer. The police search your car and find your cash and take it and don't give it back. You have not violated any laws, and there is no probable cause to take your cash, but they do so anyway under the pretense that it might be drug money. You have no recourse in this at all because the amount of money you would have to spend on legal fees to try to get the cash back exceeds the amount of cash you were trying to get back, and the burden is on you to prove that it was not used in a crime rather than the burden being on police to prove that it was used in a crime. You were not alerted ahead of time that any of your money was going to be taken, they took all of it, and you get nothing in return for it....they also had guns.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2018, 7:13 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
So then learn from the Parkland teens and vote out anyone that protects the health insurance industry and opposes a single payer healthcare system & elect officials who will do the job they’re put in office for.

There are plenty of American candidates who support universal health care.

Unfortunately, they generally have difficulty getting campaign funding. Thus, most people don't know much about them.

Hopefully the internet will turn this trend around.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2018, 8:57 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
Just because a majority wants to steal from the rich doesn’t make it right, does it?

Letting people die - when you can help them, say through taxation - certainly isn't right.

NoClearMind53
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Apr 2018, 2:21 pm

Wealthy people are able to make a lot of money simply because they own s**t that makes money for them. Many do not even need to work at all. Since they’re able to extract wealth without contributing any actual work or effort, it would be pretty rational to say they,ve already been allowed to steal from those doing the actual work that creates the wealth in the first place. When society allows “theft” in one direction (towards the rich at the expense of the rest) it only makes sense to tax them more (reverse theft) just as a balancing act.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2018, 2:28 pm

NoClearMind53 wrote:
Wealthy people are able to make a lot of money simply because they own s**t that makes money for them. Many do not even need to work at all. Since they’re able to extract wealth without contributing any actual work or effort, it would be pretty rational to say they,ve already been allowed to steal from those doing the actual work that creates the wealth in the first place. When society allows “theft” in one direction (towards the rich at the expense of the rest) it only makes sense to tax them more (reverse theft) just as a balancing act.

And that’s why Capital Gains Tax is a thing.