Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2018, 10:46 pm

EzraS wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
EzraS wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Looks more like a portrait of Jim Carrey having a tantrum.

I'd say it looks more like artistic expression of political commentary, or even art therapy in an attempt to deal with the horrific reality of the Trump presidency.

"Horrific reality of the Trump presidency" also comes off as a tantrum to me.

Nope, just a concise statement describing the current state of federal politics in the USA, not a tantrum in the least bit.

A lot of your comments regarding Trump come off as hyperbolic to me.

A lot of your comments regarding Trump come off as minimizing how terrible a President, businessman, and human being he truly is.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2018, 11:02 pm

A tantrum is a fit of rage.

Typing your opinion on a forum does not constitute a tantrum, nor does painting/drawing a picture.

A online tantrum would usually consist lots of capital letters, exclamation points, really ragey inflammatory content sometimes with vulgar language and things like that.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2018, 11:14 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:

Typing your opinion on a forum does not constitute a tantrum, nor does painting/drawing a picture.

A online tantrum would usually consist lots of capital letters, exclamation points, really ragey inflammatory content sometimes with vulgar language and things like that.

I was using the term loosely.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2018, 11:20 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
But it's the culture in America that celebrities have the ability to reach a large audience with their message, whatever it may be. At least he's using his voice to express his political opinions & frustrations while being entertaining about it. It's most certainly a way better use of his soapbox than hawking some new piece of plastic crap with his name on it.

I, personally, think that sending a precise message to a small group of intellectuals is better than sending a dumbed-down message to the foolish masses.

You don't necessarily need to get most of the country on your side in order to make political changes. You just need to outnumber those who oppose your proposed change.

If the masses avoid the issue out of apathy, that's fine. As long as they don't try to stop you, you have nothing to worry about.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2018, 11:25 pm

EzraS wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Looked like hyperbole to me.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2018, 11:30 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
But it's the culture in America that celebrities have the ability to reach a large audience with their message, whatever it may be. At least he's using his voice to express his political opinions & frustrations while being entertaining about it. It's most certainly a way better use of his soapbox than hawking some new piece of plastic crap with his name on it.

I, personally, think that sending a precise message to a small group of intellectuals is better than sending a dumbed-down message to the foolish masses.

You don't necessarily need to get most of the country on your side in order to make political changes. You just need to outnumber those who oppose your proposed change.

If the masses avoid the issue out of apathy, that's fine. As long as they don't try to stop you, you have nothing to worry about.

You're free to speak to both of your followers on Twitter to your heart's content if that's how you choose to put your opinions out to the world. Clearly Jim Carrey has chosen the broader audience approach, and I'm glad he did so that I can be entertained by it. 8)

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2018, 12:18 am

goldfish21 wrote:
You're free to speak to both of your followers on Twitter to your heart's content if that's how you choose to put your opinions out to the world. Clearly Jim Carrey has chosen the broader audience approach, and I'm glad he did so that I can be entertained by it. 8)

... but his message contained no logical substance. As a result, he probably didn't convince anybody. He just amused a few people.

I honestly don't understand why so many liberals and leftists are so big on celebrity culture, given that celebrity culture is so cancerous, materialistic, sensationalistic and airheaded.

I don't read about "celebs" in my spare time. I read about different species of Opiliones.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2018, 1:15 am

goldfish21 wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Looked like hyperbole to me.

Perhaps, but it still leaves me way behind you in that department.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2018, 2:21 am

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

... but his message contained no logical substance. As a result, he probably didn't convince anybody. He just amused a few people.

I honestly don't understand why so many liberals and leftists are so big on celebrity culture, given that celebrity culture is so cancerous, materialistic, sensationalistic and airheaded.

I don't read about "celebs" in my spare time. I read about different species of Opiliones.

Except to me, and others, it does contain logical substance in a similar way that editorial cartoons do.

I had to google and see what Opiliones are. We have some here. They end up in the house sometimes. I usually try to grab them gently inside my hand and toss them outside vs. just kill them for no reason.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2018, 2:31 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Except to me, and others, it does contain logical substance in a similar way that editorial cartoons do.

... except that editorial cartoons usually have a message. That drawing was just dumb.

It really dumbs down political discourse when people treat silly drawings as though they are profound revelations.

Quote:
I had to google and see what Opiliones are. We have some here. They end up in the house sometimes. I usually try to grab them gently inside my hand and toss them outside vs. just kill them for no reason.

Opiliones are a very ancient lineage. They have been creeping about the earth since the Devonian Period ... or perhaps even earlier.

Tropical Opiliones are weird looking. 8O

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2018, 2:36 am

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

... except that editorial cartoons usually have a message. That drawing was just dumb.

It really dumbs down political discourse when people treat silly drawings as though they are profound revelations.

You see dumb, I see an articulate visual expression of the painter's disgust with the subject's self gratification and insatiable self serving greed.