Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

MisterSpock
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2018, 8:10 am

Is anyone aware of a source of information on artificial/visible horizons? There is plenty of information on horizon calculations, but I can find no data on what people experience. This would have to be a survey (not the poll kind), I think. How far can you see in the middle of New York, or Sherwood forest, or the Sahara desert? That's the kind of data I'm looking for. Almost a heat map of modal sight line distances.

I realise it's a longshot, but thanks for reading.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2018, 10:00 am

Your question doesn't make any sense.

"How far can you see?", and "how far away is the horizon?", are two completely different questions.

The horizon line is the same distance for folks at the same altitude at any point on the same planet.

You can only see a few hundred yards in downtown manhatten because buildings block your view of everything beyond, including the horizon. Same with being in "Sherwood Forest", or the Amazon jungle, except its trees instead of buildings blocking your view.

If your question is about "visibility" (how far an airplane pilot can see at a given moment) then that changes with the local weather, and that data is also included in the weather forecasts each day. But that has nothing to do with where the horizon is to the viewer.

The horizon changes with your altitude. The guy in the ships crows nest on top of the mast has a more distant horizon than the people on deck. But if the ship is in thick fog both are likely to have the same short distance of visibility.

MisterSpock
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2018, 12:04 pm

The term "visible horizon" is generally accepted as referring to the distance you can see unobstructed. So as per your response, the visible horizon in NY city is a few hundred yards. I was asking if there was any glibal or regional information regarding that.