Did you watch Sesame Street when you were little?

Page 2 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2018, 8:21 pm

I remember a character named Rafael on Sesame Street. I had no way of knowing then that one of my favorite tennis players would have the same first name.

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2018, 8:26 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Elmo is generational for kids in the 90s...For us in the 70s it was Grover and Kermit

Kermit the Frog was on Sesame Street? I never remembered him being on Sesame Street.

PurplePlumz
Toucan
Toucan

06 Apr 2018, 9:45 pm

Ahhh... Sesame Street. Used to love that when I was little.

I remembered this one sketch that involved Cookie Monster walking into a library, and he's bewildered by the environment. Not knowing what to do, he repeatedly asks the librarian for cookies, making the librarian progressively angrier. Ironically, the librarian starts to scream at the top of his lungs at him. After some time to think about the situation, Cookie Monster finally understands that the library only sells books, and asks for a book about cookies. He then asks for a glass of milk, to which the librarian simply faints.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

07 Apr 2018, 12:22 am

cyberdad wrote:
Elmo is generational for kids in the 90s...For us in the 70s it was Grover and Kermit
What was it in the 80s :?: BigBird :?:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2018, 2:25 am

nick007 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
What was it in the 80s :?: BigBird :?:

Ernie and Bert were quite big in the early 80s

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2018, 2:31 am

Corny wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Kermit the Frog was on Sesame Street? I never remembered him being on Sesame Street.

Kermit's role diminished after Jim Henson died in 1990
Kermit the frog is the only puppet to be awarded an honorary doctorate by Southampton College in 1996 so he's technically Dr Kermit the frog

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2018, 6:05 am

cyberdad wrote:
Corny wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Kermit's role diminished after Jim Henson died in 1990

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2018, 3:53 am

Yes I watched Sesame Street.

It was probably how I learned most of my social and life skills.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2018, 3:09 pm

I mostly remember the skits with 'The Baker.'

I enjoyed 'The Electric Company.' I was so taken with their novel, funny, and smart ways of teaching basic language skills!

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2018, 11:14 am

I remember not long before Jim Henson's death there were sketches where Elmo would show up and interrupt Kermit, yelling "Yaaay! Elmo wants to play with Mr. Green Frog!". He'd then annoy the heck out of Kermit. Back then I thought Elmo was cute and funny, but after "Tickle Me Elmo", it was like ick.

As a kid I saw some funny sketches with Kermit on Sesame Street, such as where he's singing the alphabet with a little girl while the letters appear above them, but she keeps saying "Cookie Monster" and the letter changes to a picture of Cookie Monster while the girl giggles her face off.

And one where Kermit goes to a store that makes customary T-shirts, expecting his shirt that says "Kermit the Frog" on it to be ready. The Muppet clerk keeps bringing him a shirt where the word "frog" is mixed up. The shirts say things like "Kermit the Gorf" and "Kermit the Grof", and then creatures who actually *have* those names come in for their T-shirts, so they're not really misprints, and Kermit is bewildered. The clerk also keeps asking "may I help you?" to Kermit every time the previous customer leaves, which aggravates him and now he's yelling and screaming that he wants his Kermit the FROOOOOG T-SHIRT!! The clerk then tells him it won't be read for another week. Poor Kermit. :lol:

And of course, Kermit used to be a news reporter on Sesame Street, where he mostly interviewed fairy tale and nursery rhyme characters. Like Little Miss Muffet, who ate crunchy granola while sitting on her waterbed, and was a feminist who isn't afraid of spiders (but Kermit sure is!). That was about as 70's as it gets. :flower:

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2018, 5:47 pm

I still watch my favorite sketches on YouTube.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2018, 3:26 pm

Oh man, I actually laughed out loud at that Family Guy cutaway gag, and I *hate* Family Guy. :oops:

But there's more to replacing the actor of a voice for a character than just being able to sound like them. You have to be able to act like the character too, and say more than just a few catchphrases.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2018, 5:28 pm

I remember Grover's Monsterpiece Theatre with the Union Jack in the beginning. I actually had no idea that I was in Canada until I heard Oh Canada on the radio for the first time. I guess I told my mum we were in England when I was three or four because of that skit of Grover's.

The Unleasher
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2018, 5:32 pm

No, I always found it creepy.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2018, 5:55 pm

The Unleasher wrote:
No, I always found it creepy.
Don't watch Dave Chappelle's version of Sesame Street. It's pretty bad & I can only post vids of it in the Adult forum. I think I would learn more from it than watching the regular nowadays thou. Puppets are singing about drugs & STDs :lol:

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2018, 11:13 am

I used to hear a rumor that the reason they changed Sesame Street into Sesame Park in Canada was because parents claimed Sesame Street made their kids think it was safe to play in the street. :roll: But I don't really know if that's true. All I know is that the new version would be as if every two minutes someone off camera said "Quick, do something Canadian before the kids with their incredibly short attention spans forget what country we're in!", and then the characters would start speaking French, playing hockey, eating maple syrup or even singing O Canada. :roll: