Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2018, 10:23 am

I never thought so before, but the fact that he has fired three cabinet members in the past month by Twitter, makes me wonder what his problem is with face to face discussions, the usual and diplomatic way to let someone go. He has a lot of trouble holding on to staff. He is highly sensitive to perceived slights. And he has a son who is rumored to be autistic (not that I put a lot of weight on that).

That's a whole lot of interpersonal problems, and I'm not even starting on his sex/love life.

What do you guys think? (note: if he were autistic, that does not rule out co-morbid personality disorders. I'm virtually certain he has a personality disorder, with at minimum narcissistic traits.)

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2018, 10:55 am

Using "Autistic" to describe dumbass is an insult to all Autistics everywhere.

Read this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2018, 11:25 am

Ichinin wrote:

Read this:

Sure, I made that diagnosis years ago. But it occurred to me, what kind of person fires someone in the public eye with a tweet? I know a lot of autistics shun face-to-face contact in favor of electronic communication. The question is not whether he has NPD, but whether he could also have autism.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2018, 11:40 am

A real aspie would still follow social norms and not just fire someone in a tweet even if the aspie really did dislike giving the person a face to face firing.

That's a bit of a stretch- going from "he fired someone in a tweet" to "ergo he must be autistic".

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2018, 11:42 am

BeaArthur wrote:
Ichinin wrote:

Read this:

Sure, I made that diagnosis years ago. But it occurred to me, what kind of person fires someone in the public eye with a tweet? I know a lot of autistics shun face-to-face contact in favor of electronic communication. The question is not whether he has NPD, but whether he could also have autism.

I've worked in a military HQ, i have first hand experience of psychopaths and narcissists, this behaviour has no connection to Autism. Impulsive decisions and not caring for others is textbook NPD/ASPD.

If he was autistic in any way, he would probably not be able to have built the house of cards he is sitting on privately right now. How many Autistic billionaires do you know of that has reached their status by themselves?

Autism/Aspergers is a serious impairment for conducting business. Psychopathy/Narcissism is not, in fact some people have specifically looked to hire that kind of people, Robert Hare had to point out that he was issuing a warning, not a recommendation. These people is the reason why we have the unequal society we have today.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2018, 12:13 pm

I'd bet that he's dyslexic. He has a lot of difficulty reading. The rest is a perfect storm of personality disorders, shape-shifting faster than it can be held accountable.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2018, 2:04 pm

I don't think he is. He's too outspoken.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2018, 2:14 pm

He is just an as*hole and just stupid. Whatever happened to saying someone is just a jerk? Now today we seem to label everyone. The other day my parents were saying they thought he is a schizophrenic so I said "He doesn't look schizophrenic" and my mom asked me what they looked like and I said he just looks like a jerk to me and said I was tired of people throwing labels on everyone.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2018, 2:30 pm

Trump's overall interaction with people has to be taken into consideration when talking about aloofness due to autism. It would show up more consistently and there would be many more examples of it than three tweets.

ResilientBrilliance
Toucan
Toucan

01 Apr 2018, 2:34 pm

Didn't he make billions from negotiating with rich people face to face? I don't understand how anyone could possibly think Trump is autistic. You're judging him based on presidency but he has lived over seventy years so where are the signs in those previous seven decades?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2018, 3:00 pm

League_Girl wrote:
He is just an as*hole and just stupid. Whatever happened to saying someone is just a jerk?

Yes, NPD, jerk, it's much the same thing. A general lack of compassion would seem to explain his behaviour better than ASD-style mind-blindness, because I've never seen any remorse from him. As for intelligence, he's been surprisingly successful at climbing to the top of the US hierarchy and filling his pockets, but I don't know that he's good at anything else.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2018, 3:02 pm

There is no politician without high sense of social cues, manipulation and lying habits.
Autistics do not understand easily social cues, are never manipulators, hate lying.

So ...I would say certainly not!

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2018, 3:36 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
He is just an as*hole and just stupid. Whatever happened to saying someone is just a jerk?

Yes, NPD, jerk, it's much the same thing. A general lack of compassion would seem to explain his behaviour better than ASD-style mind-blindness, because I've never seen any remorse from him. As for intelligence, he's been surprisingly successful at climbing to the top of the US hierarchy and filling his pockets, but I don't know that he's good at anything else.

But not every jerk has a mental illness is what I am saying. Trump is a functional guy and is likable by lot of people and has made a business, people with NPD would be dysfunctional and find it hard to function day to day life and find it hard to get along with people because of their narcissism, their personality would hold them back. Trump isn't held back by his personality. Unless he has actually been diagnosed by a doctor, then I will buy it but I won't buy any armchiar diagnoses written by other therapists.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2018, 4:09 pm

League_Girl wrote:
people with NPD would be dysfunctional and find it hard to function day to day life and find it hard to get along with people because of their narcissism, their personality would hold them back.

Regardless of what you say, they are commonly found in management positions. Almost always undiagnosed because they do not think there is something wrong with them, union officials usually beg to differ.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2018, 4:25 pm

We've had this conversation once before, and that was once too often.

I get it. If a public figure does anything stupid or cringeworthy, he or she must be autistic. Well I guess so, why not? NT's everywhere are calling them the same thing. :roll:

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2018, 5:07 pm

Probably would be named "autistic" by some NTs as an insult