Yes 40%  40%  [ 21 ]
No 60%  60%  [ 31 ]
Total votes : 52

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2018, 9:01 am

Chronos wrote:
In China, walking to work in the city is frowned upon because people might think you are too poor to own a car.

China seriously doesn't need more cars. Yet they'll probably buy hundreds of millions of them so their neighbors don't think they're poor. That's ironic because getting rid of my car made me less poor.

I think maybe Chinese culture wasn't always like that. It used to be about how much you can save rather than how much you can spend.

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2018, 4:03 pm

I never used an apple product.

Why?

Apple products are too expensive for their value, not as user friendly as Windows/Android one, and it's a closed system that's also part of their company policy: less stuff is compatible with apple computers, and the company makes you buy their own products as an extension for what you already own.

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2018, 4:16 pm

nick007 wrote:
There's some very tech savy people who use Apple because they find using all Apple is less buggy since everything is made by one company instead of mixing products & parts up from lots of various companies. Those people would use Microsoft if Microsoft would make all the components for computers, phones & tablets in addition to making Windows. I don't use apple because I like being able to modify & change out things. I wanted a job repairing computers when I was about 19. A lot of that stuff is over my head but I'm not afraid to tinker around when something goes wrong or doesn't work rite.

While this is true and being a good point, as a music producer for many years Apple was the choice of many of my colleagues and teachers. All computers in my university's music lab are Apple brand.

The main appeal of apple for music producers is instant driver compatibility: no need to download drivers for every single device such as MIDI adapter, Audio interface, etc. It has perfect integration outright while the Windows user had to do everything manually.

That said, since Windows 10 this has changed, as drivers download automatically like in Mac. Nowdays there's no real advantage of having a Mac over a PC in the music field.

I've seen some coders, programmers and hardcore engineers of synthesizer software use Windows XP, since it's one of the most reliable OS ever made, quite simplified, and more importantly it's super light (Windows 10 is super heavy in comparison)

speaking of tablets/etc, iOS devices when compared to Android are more suitable for music applications.. Android is not there yet :) so for smaller phones/tablets one would only use Apple.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2018, 4:22 pm

Hating people for using iPhones is irrational. I don’t get why people need to put down others and their phone choice to feel good about their own phone choice. Says a lot I think. If you can’t feel good about something you own without making others feel crappy about theirs, I don’t think you like your purchase. I love my iPhone and iPad I don’t feel need to put down android users but I do defend my purchase to those who insult me and my choice like wtf, doesn’t effect them that I and others use apple stuff. Want to use andriod I don’t care just don’t go around insulting those who don’t it sends the message that your insecure.

I’m not brainwashed im not isheep I’m not gullible im not stupid I’m not ret*d I just like different things then you

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2018, 4:28 pm

My issue is that Apple is often unappreciative of their customers & takes advantage of developers.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2018, 5:46 pm

cberg wrote:
My issue is that Apple is often unappreciative of their customers & takes advantage of developers.

That’s basically all companies. Most have poor customer service especially when they successful. Sony treats people like s**t now that they ahead of Xbox

314pe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2018, 5:07 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
The iPhone X might not be a very well designed phone but it is a very well designed status symbol.

In a capitalist society every product is a status symbol. The only difference is that it is more apparent with apple.

Personally I hate Pandora bracelets much more. At least iphone is a well engineered piece of electronics, whereas Pandora bracelet is just an overpriced trinket. And this is what makes it such a great status symbol.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2018, 10:42 pm

sly279 wrote:
cberg wrote:

That’s basically all companies. Most have poor customer service especially when they successful. Sony treats people like s**t now that they ahead of Xbox

Sony acted like arrogant jerks the previous time they were ahead of Xbox too.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 1:49 am

In the 1960s, campuses boycotted grapes to support Cesar Chavez's unionization of farm workers. Yet it is unlikely that there will be any effort to boycott tech companies that use lithium-ion batteries produced from African-mined cobalt.
Take a look at the article linked and quoted above. Things sure have changed since the 1960s. Nowadays college students and everyone else would never dream of boycotting Apple, Samsung and Google in defence of the lethal conditions in which their cobalt in mined because they've been brainwashed by marketing into believing they can't survive without the latest device.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2018, 2:41 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
sly279 wrote:
cberg wrote:

And miicrosoft treated people crappy when they were ahead with the 360, they even thought they were so above they did all that crap with the Xbox one which is why PS4 won.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2018, 2:44 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
In the 1960s, campuses boycotted grapes to support Cesar Chavez's unionization of farm workers. Yet it is unlikely that there will be any effort to boycott tech companies that use lithium-ion batteries produced from African-mined cobalt.
Take a look at the article linked and quoted above. Things sure have changed since the 1960s. Nowadays college students and everyone else would never dream of boycotting Apple, Samsung and Google in defence of the lethal conditions in which their cobalt in mined because they've been brainwashed by marketing into believing they can't survive without the latest device.

All new tech uses thos batteries.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2018, 11:26 pm

sly279 wrote:
And miicrosoft treated people crappy when they were ahead with the 360, they even thought they were so above they did all that crap with the Xbox one which is why PS4 won.
That is true.
sly279 wrote:
All new tech uses thos batteries.
I never said those batteries were exclusive to Apple.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2018, 1:35 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
All that said, the truth is computers in general are dumbing down the population. I was talking to my friend's nephew a few weeks back, he was on spring break from college where he's getting a degree in engineering. So I joked: "College, the good times, I miss practicing differential equations." He looked at me dumbfounded. So I probed a bit further, and he had no idea what a differential equation was, then he pulled out his smartphone and asked which symbol it was on his scientific calculator app. He also explained to me he doesn't need to know how to do one, or how it works, that's what they invented scientific calculators for...He graduates this year with his degree, when I heard that I wanted to cry.

What KIND of engineering was he majoring in?

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2018, 1:59 pm

sly279 wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
sly279 wrote:
cberg wrote:

I wasn't talking about consumer tech there. I was talking about removing the features of a real computer while acting like they're enlightening somebody.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

33leo33
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Dec 2018, 1:12 am

The only thing Apple is really good for is the retina display and the security.

I'll tell you what though... One time I was rendering a 3D animation for my class. To make the process go faster, I separated the render into four different computers, three Macs and one Windows. I noticed that the Windows computer took less than half the time to render the video than all three Macs combined (it took about 6 hours for the three Macs to render the video. 6 hours!)... What. That experience convinced me that Apple is terrible.

Not only that, but if you want to be a 3D artist in particular, you kind of need to have a Windows computer, since the software needed is not available for Mac. This Macbook Pro is probably the most expensive piece of s**t that I made my parents buy for me. I only have this because I thought I was going to pursue graphic design when I was a freshman in college.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2018, 1:18 am

I was under the impression that the serious number crunchers all used UNIX for ultimate efficiency.