Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2018, 5:13 pm

LaetiBlabla wrote:
^^have once a look in a women's handbag, there is much more than what you are listing: tissues, plaster, a whole pharmacy, one or two books, papers, a goldfish, a spare wheel, etc.

Plus the kitchen sink. :lol:

But I don't care for cosmetics. I generally only carry my money purse, keys, phone, ipod, bus pass, glasses (in case I need them) and maybe a drink. These are all essentials. I leave my cosmetics and tablets at home if I'm only out shopping or visiting people.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2018, 5:21 pm

Raleigh wrote:
I do see a few men nowadays with those bum bag things that you sling over your shoulder.
Not sure what they're called.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2018, 5:33 pm

I'm glad I'm not a lady.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2018, 7:26 pm

My husband carries a purse - a shoulder bag typically. He calls it a purse, too. He's very secure in his masculinity. :D

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2018, 8:17 pm

My grandfather uncle and brother have always carried a bag. Not womans purse but a man bag or back pack.

Far more interesting question is why do women carry purses?

Well in the Middle Ages and early modern period, most people would carry small purses with them made out of leather or cloth to hold coins. If they didn't use a purse, then women typically tucked their money into their chest, and men...well there was more than one use for a cod piece.

Some point shortly thereafter, modern pockets were invented. One would think that a pocket would be a fairly trivial thing, however Europeans were a little slow on the concep of practical clothing.

Pockets began to disappear from women's clothing around the 19th century and were replaced by small bags we call purses or hand bags. The rise of a large middle class started to occur around the same time, with people having money for things like vacations toiletries and other luxuries that their parents and grandparents could not afford. It was probably around this time that women started carrying small articles of makeup and perhaps a comb or hair pin in addition to money in their little purses. Woman may have begun to carry a larger bags to accommodate things related to childcare.

But the things that men carried with them stayed relatively the same. Some money, and perhaps a watch. When a man didn't need to carry more things, it was typically work-related and he carried them in a large bag or briefcase.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2018, 1:52 am

I can't thinkof what I would need or want to carry in a shoulder bag. Money and bank card goes in my left pocket, phone goes in my right pocket, keys are clipped to my beltloop. I don't even see the need for carrying a wallet.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

04 Apr 2018, 2:27 am

Some guys do wear fanny-packs but they used to be more popular than what they are now.
I just keep my cash, credit cards, insurance cards, & bus passes in my wallet. I keep my wallet in my right pocket, I keep my keychain in my left pocket, & I have my phone in a case with a belt clip that's hooked to my belt or shorts on my right side. I'll put my meds & supplements into one or two bottles & keep them in my left pocket but I have no reason to bring em unless I'm planning to eat out. I keep my gloves in one of my coat pockets. If I'm carrying more stuff, my girlfriend puts it in her purse or I carry it in a bag.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Sandpiper
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Apr 2018, 2:54 am

If I am just going to the shops I usually just put my money, phone and keys in my fleece pocket. If I am going further and need to carry anything else I usually use a bum bag/fanny pack or a small rucksack/backpack. I think both are far more practical than a purse/handbag. I can't see why a man would want to carry a purse/handbag.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2018, 6:15 am

Quote:
Why Don't Men Carry Purses?

For me, the question is: Why Do Women Carry Purses?

I hate them and never use them. I wouldn't be caught dead with one. I use pockets, bags (the type you typically get in shops to carry merchandise), or rucksacks.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2018, 7:55 am

I have a small shoulder bag that I take around with me all the time. It's just convenient for me to have my wallet, phone, keys and pens, plus anything else that I need to carry around, in one place. If I have larger items like books or documents, I usually take a messenger bag instead.

There's the rub, the task.

– Virgil, The Aeneid (Book VI)

bobaspie2015
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Apr 2018, 8:24 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
To carry a purse makes a man look effeminate---in "Western" society.
I would never carry a purse.

Hey who are you calling effeminate - b***h. :D :lol: 8)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2018, 9:19 am

A woman's purse.....looks like something that's carried by women.

I find them rather impractical. Lots of women actually carry knapsacks/backpacks these days, instead of purses/handbags. I wouldn't find a woman less "feminine" if she would carry a knapsack instead of a purse. Rather, I would find that she is smart.

Purses/handbags are much more easily snatched than knapsacks/backpacks.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2018, 9:25 am

Roll up a wad of notes and clamp it between your buttocks. Who's going to steal that?

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2018, 11:50 am

Mrs. Trueno.......just looking for an excuse......

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2018, 11:54 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Mrs. Trueno.......just looking for an excuse......

Hell... I've been rumbled.

I was going to go off on all the other things I could keep down there but modesty (and good taste) prevailed...

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2018, 12:04 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
Quote:
Why Don't Men Carry Purses?

For me, the question is: Why Do Women Carry Purses?

I hate them and never use them. I wouldn't be caught dead with one. I use pockets, bags (the type you typically get in shops to carry merchandise), or rucksacks.

I'm in the rucksack club as well.