Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2018, 9:59 am

They're more convenient than trying to stuff everything in your pockets.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2018, 10:06 am

Men carry knapsacks. They can replace purses very well.

To carry a purse makes a man look effeminate---in "Western" society.

I would never carry a purse.

Men do carry "masculine" versions of purses, though---though this is not needed much these days because of the knapsack.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2018, 10:26 am

I think women generally carry more stuff around with them, anyway. :)

I use a hands-free purse where the strap goes across my shoulder. I wouldn't use any other kind of a purse, no matter how "fashionable" it looked. It's also large enough to store my hat and mittens during the winter, and even my Nintendo 3DS.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2018, 10:30 am

Mrs Trueno carries a purse, I just dip into that.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2018, 10:33 am

For a quick moment out of the corner of my eye, I thought the title said "Why don't men have pulses?". :lol: If he doesn't have a pulse, you should probably be concerned. :D

I am not sure why I made that mistake, weird. Oh well. *Shrug*

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2018, 11:41 am

I carry a man bag with me with the things I will need for the day.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2018, 11:52 am

Aaah, I just learned why some of the responses seem a little confusing to me. :idea:

In UK English, "purse" usually just means a small pouch/container for money; the US meaning of "purse" would be a "handbag" in the UK.
But there is still a strange gender divide even then - a woman would traditionally be expected to have a "purse" (shaped more like a pouch), whereas a man would traditionally be expected to have a "wallet" (which folds flat.)

In either case, I would guess that it has a lot to do with traditional gender-specific styles of clothing and fashion. I have often heard female friends complain that fashionable clothing rarely has enough pockets for stashing things, whereas a lot of men's clothing has so many pockets that I have no idea what I could possibly use them all for!

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2018, 11:58 am

because they're afraid of practicality.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2018, 12:01 pm

I don't get why either. All the stuff I carry in my purse are necessary and would not all fit in my pockets, and I carry everything a man carries, meaning I don't cart make-up and hairbrushes and stuff around with me.

Also I don't understand how it's safe for men to put valuables in their pockets and not get mugged like us women get with our purses. I've seen men shove twenty pound notes (twenty dollar bills or whatever in USA) into their back pockets, but if a woman did that she'd feel vulnerable.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2018, 12:14 pm

1. they have trousers with large pockets
2. they often heap the coins in a big mug at home

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2018, 12:26 pm

Men don't lug around fem hygine products. Nor do they lug around cosmetics. That pretty much tips the scale towards ladies needing handbags, and men getting by with just pockets.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2018, 1:08 pm

^^have once a look in a women's handbag, there is much more than what you are listing: tissues, plaster, a whole pharmacy, one or two books, papers, a goldfish, a spare wheel, etc.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2018, 1:17 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Men don't lug around fem hygine products. Nor do they lug around cosmetics. That pretty much tips the scale towards ladies needing handbags, and men getting by with just pockets.

Well it helps when you have pockets that are big enough to put things in....A lot of womens pants have really small pockets or just false pockets. I did recently find two pairs of pants with larger front pockets that I can put quite a bit of stuff in though the back pockets are still kind of small...my wallet tends to fall out, it has a chain so I don't lose it but its still annoying.

That said I don't like purses, I do have a small back pack as well as one of those messenger style bags that goes over your shoulder. So if I need more stuff than my pockets hold I bring one of those.

I have tried purses before, but I have that problem of setting things down and misplacing them. After a couple times of setting it down in a store, one of which someone noticed and caught up to me to give it back to me...I figured a purse would be a bad idea for me. I certainly need something that can stay on my body as I browse or I will lose it :lol:

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2018, 1:23 pm

I do see a few men nowadays with those bum bag things that you sling over your shoulder.
Not sure what they're called.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2018, 2:09 pm

LaetiBlabla wrote:
^^have once a look in a women's handbag, there is much more than what you are listing: tissues, plaster, a whole pharmacy, one or two books, papers, a goldfish, a spare wheel, etc.

That's kinda my point.

Cosmetics and fem hy tip the scale. So it became acceptable for ladies to carry hand bags. But once that norm is in motion in society then the hand bags end up storing even more stuff. Stuff that guys leave at home, or that guys make do by stuffing into pockets.

MisterSpock
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2018, 3:07 pm

I think it boils down to purses being a female icon of wealth, and the thickness/fullness of a man's wallet being the icon of his. Most historic marketing has been aimed at wealth signifiers for women, since in the golden age of marketing (Mad Men), the man earned and the woman spent. If you out and about, you can't exactly show everyone how wonderfully done up your home is, so wearing fine dresses, pearls, and a handbag had to do. Why do women buy knock-off brands for purses, clutches, and handbags, and men don't?