Are you good at telling how much time has passed?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

ResilientBrilliance
Toucan
Toucan

03 Apr 2018, 3:58 pm

For example: Let's say you're waiting at a bus stop with no watch, phone or clock. If someone asks how long you've been waiting for the bus, do you know whether you've been waiting for 15 minutes versus 20 minutes? Can you remember if it's been 4 or 5 months since your last haircut? I have a poor sense of time. I suspect this is autism related.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2018, 5:04 pm

I have a very poor sense of time, at whatever scale. For example, it would be very common for me to look outside and be surprised that it has got dark, because I don't realise how long I have been engrossed in a special interest, or even to see no leaves on the trees and need to think for a moment whether it is late autumn or early spring (when it snowed a couple of weeks ago, I really had to rack my brain to decide whether Xmas had happened yet or not.) Likewise with less common events - I find it hard to know whether I had a conversation with a friend only yesterday or several weeks ago, and have great difficulty pinpointing what age I was when describing events in my life.

To what extent this might be autism related, I don't know; the human perception of time and memory are notoriously subjective things (for example; I'm old enough that I can confirm just how much faster the years seem to pass as I get older, which seems to be a common experience for all people as they age.) However, I can think of a few common autistic traits which might affect our time perception:

- Hyperfocus/Dissociation: It's common for anybody to lose track of time when doing something they enjoy or when reflecting on their inner thoughts, but autistic people may be more prone to "zone out" in this way.

- Need for routines: The more similar each day is, the more difficult it would be to tell one day apart from any other, making it harder to sort our memories into the right time order.

- Social isolation: Might give the subjective experience of fewer "events" happening which would mark the passing of time.

- Alexithymia: For those of us who struggle to identify our feelings, our memories might be "recorded" with less emotional context, so that the memories are less "connected" with other memories which would give us clues about when they happened.

The above wouldn't necessarily mean that our time perception is intrinsically different, just that we might be more likely to be in states of mind or live a lifestyle where the passage of time would be less obvious to us. It's certainly an interesting question, as I do feel that I live somewhat "outside of time" compared to most people around me.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2018, 5:29 pm

Sorry but this is not a serious post , there is a fictional condition called Temporal Dysplasia that a character in Stitchers has , it 'sort' of presents like Aspergers

Quote:
Temporal Dysplasia is a fictional and uncommon medical condition in the Stitchers universe. It causes the person affected to not feel the passage of time, and only recognize how much time has passed in a day through mathematics and meticulous observation. It also prevents the person from appealing to, or understanding human emotions.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2018, 9:23 pm

I have a poor sense of time. In my case it's an autism thing.

Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2018, 10:09 pm

Hit or miss.

It's a kind of hobby of mine to guess the time without looking at the clock. Sometimes I hit it almost on the minute, sometimes I'm off by 30 minutes. All in all I think I'm on an NT average in this aspect.

Right now I was 25 minutes off. :|

EyeDash
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Apr 2018, 11:33 pm

When I practice guessing the time or how much time has passed and then compare my results to the actual clock, I can become very accurate. It's like I'm making a guess, but it turns out to be highly accurate. However when I don't practice, I doubt I'm much different than average accuracy. I used to use this at work in the lab. I also have done this with the indoor and outdoor temperatures. When I practice guessing, over time I can get to be accurate to within 1-2 degrees Fahrenheit. Oddly, I can generally guess the outdoor temperature to the same accuracy even when I'm inside - I think it must be from the temperature differences I can feel from room-to-room. But when I don't practice with the temperature, I can be off quite a bit.

ResilientBrilliance
Toucan
Toucan

07 Apr 2018, 3:38 pm

Trogluddite wrote:
I have a very poor sense of time, at whatever scale. For example, it would be very common for me to look outside and be surprised that it has got dark, because I don't realise how long I have been engrossed in a special interest, or even to see no leaves on the trees and need to think for a moment whether it is late autumn or early spring (when it snowed a couple of weeks ago, I really had to rack my brain to decide whether Xmas had happened yet or not.) Likewise with less common events - I find it hard to know whether I had a conversation with a friend only yesterday or several weeks ago, and have great difficulty pinpointing what age I was when describing events in my life. $2.50

To what extent this might be autism related, I don't know; the human perception of time and memory are notoriously subjective things (for example; I'm old enough that I can confirm just how much faster the years seem to pass as I get older, which seems to be a common experience for all people as they age.) However, I can think of a few common autistic traits which might affect our time perception:

- Hyperfocus/Dissociation: It's common for anybody to lose track of time when doing something they enjoy or when reflecting on their inner thoughts, but autistic people may be more prone to "zone out" in this way.

- Need for routines: The more similar each day is, the more difficult it would be to tell one day apart from any other, making it harder to sort our memories into the right time order.

- Social isolation: Might give the subjective experience of fewer "events" happening which would mark the passing of time.

- Alexithymia: For those of us who struggle to identify our feelings, our memories might be "recorded" with less emotional context, so that the memories are less "connected" with other memories which would give us clues about when they happened.

The above wouldn't necessarily mean that our time perception is intrinsically different, just that we might be more likely to be in states of mind or live a lifestyle where the passage of time would be less obvious to us. It's certainly an interesting question, as I do feel that I live somewhat "outside of time" compared to most people around me.

I'm actually good with major events like Christmas. If something happened on a random day, there's little chance I'll remember when it happened, unless I happened to remember the exact date. The weird thing is that I have a good memory in general. I remember all kinds of random facts. Yet I can't remember when I last went to the hair salon. I got a haircut and guessed that I got it cut in early December. I checked the email and I actually got it cut in mid-November. There was this lady on TV who could recall every day of her life. It was interesting to see. She might have some form of photographic memory or something.

I started to think this was autism related because of a thread I saw on here about executive function. I read up on executive function a bit, and it seems like time management is a component of it. I've always been terrible with time management, and it's probably because I'm terrible with time in general. Of course I'm going to be late to everything if I don't even know how much time has passed.

Those are all great theories. The one about zoning out is super accurate for me...It's like I'm "zoned out" from the physical world all the time. This not only causes me to not track time, but other issues as well. I'm really clumsy probably because I'm simply not paying attention to my physical surroundings. I've never heard of Alexithymia. I think Alexithymia might be another reason.

ResilientBrilliance
Toucan
Toucan

07 Apr 2018, 3:45 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
Sorry but this is not a serious post , there is a fictional condition called Temporal Dysplasia that a character in Stitchers has , it 'sort' of presents like Aspergers

Quote:
Temporal Dysplasia is a fictional and uncommon medical condition in the Stitchers universe. It causes the person affected to not feel the passage of time, and only recognize how much time has passed in a day through mathematics and meticulous observation. It also prevents the person from appealing to, or understanding human emotions.

Interesting that the person with such disorder tells time through math...I have actually tried before to understand time from a physics perspective.

EzraS wrote:
I have a poor sense of time. In my case it's an autism thing.

Yeah, I think it's autism related. I wonder if there are autistic people who are super punctual or have internal clocks...

1986 wrote:
Hit or miss.

It's a kind of hobby of mine to guess the time without looking at the clock. Sometimes I hit it almost on the minute, sometimes I'm off by 30 minutes. All in all I think I'm on an NT average in this aspect.

Right now I was 25 minutes off. :|

That's funny, I do that too. I try to guess what time it is before checking the clock. I'm closer to NT average, but I used to be way off. I noticed my brother would always know what time it was or what times things occurred. He'd say, "We got back at 3:11" and things like that. Idk, that might actually be above average to remember times down to the minute like that.

EyeDash wrote:
When I practice guessing the time or how much time has passed and then compare my results to the actual clock, I can become very accurate. It's like I'm making a guess, but it turns out to be highly accurate. However when I don't practice, I doubt I'm much different than average accuracy. I used to use this at work in the lab. I also have done this with the indoor and outdoor temperatures. When I practice guessing, over time I can get to be accurate to within 1-2 degrees Fahrenheit. Oddly, I can generally guess the outdoor temperature to the same accuracy even when I'm inside - I think it must be from the temperature differences I can feel from room-to-room. But when I don't practice with the temperature, I can be off quite a bit.

Interesting observations. I suppose like anything else, "sense of time" can be improved with practice. I noticed I got better at telling how much time has passed once I entered the working world. I had a computer job so I always had the time right there on my screen. Plus, it was crucial to keep track of time to tell how much time I had left on breaks.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2018, 3:50 pm

I can tell by the hour, for the most part... Not by the minute. I could probably guess within a half hour.

Glflegolas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Apr 2018, 4:41 pm

During the day, I'm average, but at night, I am incredible. I can wake myself up at any time of night I want to, and I'll be 15 minutes earlier than the time I needed to wake up. Never set an alarm.

Myers-Briggs personality: The Commander
Asperger's Quiz: 79/111, both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits present. AQ score: 23 Raads-r score: here

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2018, 4:49 pm

I've usually got little faith in my track of time, because I've often got absorbed in an activity and then looked up to find it's much later than I thought and I've missed some deadline or other. Beyond that situation I don't know how well I can guess how much time has elapsed. When I've checked, it's often been quite good if I'm not deeply focussed on anything. Assuming hyperfocus is essentially enjoyable, maybe it's just a result of the common truism that time flies when you're having fun and drags when you're bored. Knowing that my track of time can be fallible, for whatever reason, I prefer not to trust it, and I set alarms instead.

I've heard that people can be hypnotised to wake up at a particular time, and if that works I wonder why people need clocks.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2018, 4:52 pm

Glflegolas wrote:
During the day, I'm average, but at night, I am incredible. I can wake myself up at any time of night I want to, and I'll be 15 minutes earlier than the time I needed to wake up. Never set an alarm.

I'm the same, I get up at 5 a.m. like clockwork no alarm needed (daylight savings really messes me up though, because then it's 4 a.m.)

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2018, 6:33 am

No, I'm not good at it at all. Just earlier today it felt like I had been up for at least an hour and a half, but it hadn't even been 40 minutes.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

ResilientBrilliance
Toucan
Toucan

14 Apr 2018, 1:05 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
Glflegolas wrote:

I'm the same, I get up at 5 a.m. like clockwork no alarm needed (daylight savings really messes me up though, because then it's 4 a.m.)

I've done something similar before a couple of times in college. I needed to get up early to take an exam after staying up all night. I managed to wake myself up on time without having set an alarm. I was tired too so it was surprising that I woke up on time instead of sleeping in. That's very atypical for me though.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2018, 2:27 pm

I am unaware of how to guess accurately what time it is without a clock/timer most days...this includes in my memory. I have often tried to cram too many tasks into a time slot and think I'd give myself enough time...sigh.