Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

LostGirI
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Apr 2018, 9:41 am

Hello,

Does anyone here work as a clinical coder? I’m debating whether to apply for a training post and whether or not I will cope. Just looking for further info if anyone can help.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

04 Apr 2018, 10:16 am

What is clinical coder? What your responsibilities would be?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

LostGirI
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Apr 2018, 10:24 am

Translating patients notes into codes used to label procedures and medical conditions. Just wondering how intense the training is and if you find it ok. If anyone here does it that is?

SteveSnow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Apr 2018, 8:04 am

I have trained as one and worked with quite a few in my time. The coding is the easy part, unfortunately you will spend time speaking to doctors to get correct codes from them and trying to get them to put in the proper ones. You'll also spend some time speaking to insurance and depending on the place, you may also have to deal with patients and there questions. Thankfully besides the doctors, you'll mostly be speaking to people on the phone. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask me.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2018, 8:08 am

How you interact with your boss is likely to be the biggest factor in whether you can do the job or not. Who you get for a boss will make a big difference in your success. The culture of your workplace also plays a factor.