If you had to design your dream house what would it be?

Page 11 of 14 [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 7:44 pm

^^^i hope your big trampoline room is well-padded all over.

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 8:45 pm

^ or the walls and the ceiling would also be trampolines, and then you'd just bounce right off :chin:

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 10:48 pm

I wonder how crazy it would get to be on a trampoline during a major earthquake.

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 11:06 pm

I would start with a large field, perhaps slightly wooded on one side, sloping down to a river or canal.

On the non-wooded side I would build a large, 2 storey garage / workshop / barn / man cave with very basic living facilities. One of those buildings that's set into the hill at the top end, and juts out at the other end, making best use of the natural lie of the land.

At the bottom of the hill I'd have an enclosed dry dock for my boat, and an outside linear mooring on the canal or river.

Running around the whole thing would be a 7 1/4" gauge miniature railway that connected all the different parts of the site together. So I could empty the bins, move firewood or coal bags, boat equipment, car parts, food shopping etc. etc. by train.

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 11:09 pm

kokopelli wrote:
I wonder how crazy it would get to be on a trampoline during a major earthquake.

The effects would be dependent on the wave frequency and the type of wave.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2020, 11:24 pm

AuroraBorealisGazer wrote:
kokopelli wrote:

The effects would be dependent on the wave frequency and the type of wave.

i imagine that the tuning of the trampoline would not quite match the typical quake frequency/amplitude. and if it was a shaker and not a bouncer, all bets are off.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2021, 5:26 am

One house that I like that can be found in warm countries not distant from the equator is one in which the house is built a central courtyard with every room opening onto the central courtyard. These houses usually have a perimeter wall and often have no windows facing the outside.

To enter the house, you typically enter through a zaguan. From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Zaguan refers to a house plan configuration where a central passageway leads from a front door to a patio or a courtyard. This is found in historic houses in Mexico and in the southwestern U.S. Usually rooms are one deep, with each facing the street or the courtyard. "Zaguan" may properly refer to the passageway, but sometimes refers to the complex as a whole.

A zaguán is a space immediately before, or behind the front door of a house or palace that serves as a vestibule to the main entrance. It is often covered, but otherwise open to the elements, and provides direct access from the street to the central courtyard beyond. Being partly outdoors, and at street level, it is frequently used like a mud room, and to stow carriages or cars, or access the service area without going through the house. The zaguán is common, especially in traditional houses and other buildings, throughout Spain and all Hispanic countries. The word comes from the Arabic "istawán" or "usṭuwān[ah]."

In this style, you sometimes go into the courtyard to travel from one room to another. That is, there may be some rooms that have no interior path to reach from some other rooms. Some of these rooms may be completely open on one side or have doors that can be shut if desired but would often be left open.

I love this style but never really thought it great for in the US.

As it turns out, though, there is currently such a house for sale (at ridiculously high prices) in northern New Mexico -- the Apache Mesa Ranch near Coyote. See https://abiquiuland.com/listing/202002786/ or go to http://www.knowingsantafe.com/Listings/ and click on the link there. They have a floor plan for the house in a pdf file marked "101 Mesa Prieta Rd - Main House Floor Plan" that is worth looking at.

I love that house and would love to build my own version of it out on the farm to replace the family house that is in a state of disrepair. If I were to do that, though, I would keep the ideas, but do it in a different manner that would fit better on the farm.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2021, 6:03 am

Redd_Kross wrote:
I would start with a large field, perhaps slightly wooded on one side, sloping down to a river or canal.

On the non-wooded side I would build a large, 2 storey garage / workshop / barn / man cave with very basic living facilities. One of those buildings that's set into the hill at the top end, and juts out at the other end, making best use of the natural lie of the land.

At the bottom of the hill I'd have an enclosed dry dock for my boat, and an outside linear mooring on the canal or river.

Running around the whole thing would be a 7 1/4" gauge miniature railway that connected all the different parts of the site together. So I could empty the bins, move firewood or coal bags, boat equipment, car parts, food shopping etc. etc. by train.

Go for about 12" gauge or wider. You may actually find that 2ft gauge is not a lot more expensive as there is a lot of it from the past and even today waggons and locos/track is sometimes scrapped rather then rescued as the industries that close immediately look at scrap value as they don't even realize that people will buy the things to use them. Someone I know rescued a tipping waggon from a gold mine which had been closed. She got there just in time. All the other waggons were scrapped as no one wanted them.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 4:32 am

Dylanperr wrote:
I want to know?

a intentional Christian community with around 100 to 1000 people on a lot of land in the Texas Hill Country.Thats all i know about it right now.....it would be off-grid.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 6:28 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Dylanperr wrote:
I want to know?

a intentional Christian community with around 100 to 1000 people on a lot of land in the Texas Hill Country.Thats all i know about it right now.....it would be off-grid.

Why only 100-1000 and off the grid? Sure you might have things like solar panels and wind turbines but would you need access to resources that you likely wouldn't find in a town of 100-1000 people.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 6:40 pm

Dylanperr wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Dylanperr wrote:
I want to know?

Why only 100-1000 and off the grid? Sure you might have things like solar panels and wind turbines but would you need access to resources that you likely wouldn't find in a town of 100-1000 people.

I just think 100 is on the low end of upper range for my dream house.I guess i am more drawn to being off the grid because of the Texas Snowmageddon and i like the thought of being a farmer or rancher and being way out in the country.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 8:19 pm

Dylanperr wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Dylanperr wrote:
I want to know?

My community is about 70 people. When I was a kid, we all went to the same church except for a very few hired hands. These days, there is 10-15 people who not in our religion and another 8 who go to a church in town instead of our country church.

There are no stores of any kind. If you need to buy something, you either go to town, order it by mail, or order it online.

I occasionally have to go to the city, nearly always for doctor's visits. I was in the city (about 100 miles away) on Monday for two doctor's visits. As seldom as I go to the city, I am never prepared for the amount of traffic I encounter there. Not only the traffic, but the distance between the lines is small. You could easily park 5 cars in the city in the area where we park 3 cars at my office. Think about you opening your door and someone in the car next to you opening their door and they aren't even close to hitting each other. Other than the doctor's offices, my only other stop was at two western clothing stores looking for a new pair of boots and a specific hat (Master Hatters Hold Em Gambler hat) for this fall. (See picture below.) Anyway, for someone who may go to a city maybe once a year, I don't really feel much need to go there.

Note that the hat brim needs to be much flatter. Modern cowboy hat fashion seems to be for bending brims up quite a bit. (For comparison, watch some of the older western movies to see how cowboy hats should look.) One advantage to going to a western store to buy a hat, besides the obvious one of making sure it fits when you buy it, is that you can have it steamed to flatten the brim to the way God intended for hats to be worn.

Have fun in the hill country. The humidity there is far too much for my comfort.

Where I live, the air is quite dry. I don't know if this is part of the reason, but the only cockroach I have ever seen here came out of a box when I moved back home. I killed that cockroach immediately and haven't seen another. I've heard that there are a small number of houses infested with them in my region, but I haven't seen them.

If you can't cool your house with an evaporative cooler (swamp cooler) in the summer, the humidity is too high.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 8:58 pm

Oh okay kool.I can deal with humidity fine but heat has started to bother me.Ya you would have to be in like the desert for a swamp cooler to work.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 9:08 pm

it has been my experience that in dry hot places like AZ at least, most folks use a combo of a swamp cooler and an a/c unit.

Valforwing
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Jun 2021, 3:02 am

I’d like a modest size house with three bedrooms two bathrooms a decent size kitchen with a dish washer, induction stove. Washing machine and dryer. A well lit and insulated attic. A dining room and a living room. I’ve pretty much discribed the home I had with my parents until we moved in 2003 to a much bigger house. The bigger house I lived in for much of my life but now as an adult I can see that larger space equals more money you have to spend on utilities. Honestly any home that is filled with understanding supportive people would be amazing. One bedroom would be for my son, another bedroom for me, the third one would be for my husband whoever he maybe. My bedroom would have my gaming setup, a futon bunk bed for storage and naps. A computer desk with ample crafting space. And lots of shelving for displaying my art.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2021, 4:22 am

id love to live in a decommissioned church, with the reverberant acoustics and stained glass windows. lordy that'd be the thing.