If you had to design your dream house what would it be?

Page 2 of 14 [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2018, 11:06 pm

auntblabby wrote:
ltcvnzl wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
I think a cave house would be fascinating, endlessly so.

i've watched a tv show about andalucia and they have beautiful cave houses. very charming.

also they are a thing here and there in the British isles.

i didn't know it

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2018, 12:03 am

ltcvnzl wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
ltcvnzl wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

i've watched a tv show about andalucia and they have beautiful cave houses. very charming.

also they are a thing here and there in the British isles.

i didn't know it

(clicky)English man builds house in cave

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2018, 4:05 pm

auntblabby wrote:
kokopelli wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
I useta like spiral staircases until I almost bit it on one.

I've only used one spiral staircase and I hated it.

lucky you didn't slip and fall on it. they tend to have small steps on them which this big-foot can't safely negotiate.

Yeah. Even at the widest part of the stairs, they weren't all that comfortable.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2018, 4:10 pm

auntblabby wrote:

Some of the old southwest desert cliff dwellings where the houses were built underneath a large overhang, but not actually built back into a cave, would be great.

I suspect that the public would get rather irate if someone bulldozed those old cliff dwelling houses down to build his own protected house.

One thing that has some popularity is to build earth covered houses. I think that they build the house with concrete and cover them with a few feet of dirt.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2018, 10:24 pm

an uncle of mine from long ago had a subterranean house that ended up that way when he ran outta fundage [he built it during the great depression] to build the top of it, so he just covered it over with dirt and planted over it. he had a million dollar view of the Elkhart river.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2018, 8:59 pm

kokopelli wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
kokopelli wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

lucky you didn't slip and fall on it. they tend to have small steps on them which this big-foot can't safely negotiate.

Huh, I thought they'd be comfortable at their widest. :? I might reconsider about the spiral stairs then. Although my feet aren't all that big, I don't like narrow stairs.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2018, 9:02 pm

I wouldn't mind having an entire city under my house, like this guy in Turkey found.
https://www.sunnyskyz.com/blog/410/A-Ma ... round-City

Imagine keeping quiet about it, and have all that storage space! :D

ltcvnzl wrote:
it should be near the city center but having a lot of vegetation in the plot so it has a isolated feeling while being with easy reach of everything.
That sounds good.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2018, 9:23 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
kokopelli wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
kokopelli wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Huh, I thought they'd be comfortable at their widest. :? I might reconsider about the spiral stairs then. Although my feet aren't all that big, I don't like narrow stairs.

it is not just that they are shallow and narrow but also that they curve inward in a most unnatural way, relative to human biomechanics. one has to be fit and alert to use them safely, which leaves out a lot of us who lack one or both qualities.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2018, 11:01 am

auntblabby wrote:
an uncle of mine from long ago had a subterranean house that ended up that way when he ran outta fundage [he built it during the great depression] to build the top of it, so he just covered it over with dirt and planted over it. he had a million dollar view of the Elkhart river.

I think that in houses made with dirt, brick, or rock walls without using wood or paper products in the contruction, black mold is not an issue because it need something like wood or paper on which to grow. There can be other molds, though, if there is enough moisture, so you have to be careful. In general, molds don't seem to occur as much in above ground earth homes.

I found out yesterday that a pretty nice house that I've been in on several occasions is to be demolished because of mold issues. Also, about four years ago, a rather incompetent building contractor did some renovation on a house and screwed it up so bad that mold became a major issue that could not be resolved and that house had to be demolished as well.

This is one reason why I said earlier that my dream house would be an adobe style house. By that, I didn't mean actual adobe which often has plant material mixed in with it, but a house built with earth products. My preference would be compressed earth blocks (or giant compressed earth blocks) made from eather dirt/clay or with caliche. I'm undecided whether to take a chance with a viga and latilla construction for the ceilings/roofs.

Another kind of house that would be appealing would be to use brick on both the inside and the outside with a steel frame and with a cavity between the brick on the inside and outside. Essentially, a house built something like a loft in an old brick warehouse. Again, no place for black mold to grow.

Last edited by kokopelli on 14 Nov 2018, 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2018, 11:02 am

auntblabby wrote:
Skilpadde wrote:
kokopelli wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
kokopelli wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

it is not just that they are shallow and narrow but also that they curve inward in a most unnatural way, relative to human biomechanics. one has to be fit and alert to use them safely, which leaves out a lot of us who lack one or both qualities.

Having to turn a little with each step was the part that bothered me the most.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2018, 11:20 pm

kokopelli wrote:
I think that in houses made with dirt, brick, or rock walls without using wood or paper products in the contruction, black mold is not an issue because it need something like wood or paper on which to grow. There can be other molds, though, if there is enough moisture, so you have to be careful. In general, molds don't seem to occur as much in above ground earth homes.

I hope that means my tin can won't get black mold.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2018, 3:26 am

auntblabby wrote:
kokopelli wrote:

I hope that means my tin can won't get black mold.

Obviously, the main thing is to keep the inside dry.

I read an article once about nice hotel rooms. The article said that they are more prone to mold because they usually use an organic type wallpaper on which mold can grow. A cheaper plastic wallpaper apparently won't support mold very easily because there is nothing for the mold to use to grow.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2018, 3:30 am

how can one tell if one's wallpaper is organic or not? my tin can is from the 1970s and it is plastered with wallpaper. I don't notice any mold on it, only on my shower curtains.

SunshineEmma
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Nov 2018, 3:42 am

I already live in my dream home... :) :heart: :heart:

Our house was built in 1899 and is still very original, it sits on our old farm just a few minutes down from the old farmhouse. The property features a lot of land as well as four outbuildings, since my parents moved in and had me and my brothers and sisters they've had a garage built as well as a swimming pool put in at the top of the garden.

I love our home :heart: :heart: and never want to leave it! It's here where I am happiest and feel most safe and secure. I can't wait for when I can go home :heart:

SunshineEmma
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Nov 2018, 3:43 am

The only thing I would add would be a nice summer house somewhere in the garden :heart:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2018, 3:44 am

that looks very storybook to me, like it could be in a movie, very magical in its own way. :star: