Veteran
Veteran

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2018, 2:26 pm

This is the best part.. a bit of a silver lining, really:

Quote:
However it added a full-blown trade war “would have a more pronounced effect. The U.S. and China would suffer significant slowdown in real GDP growth – a cumulative loss around 1.0 percentage point.” It cut global economic growth to 2.5 percent in 2019 from 3.0 percent in Oxford’s baseline scenario.

Maybe this stupidity will help curb a bit of overconsumption for consumption's sake and the Earth will get a little bit of a reprieve for it. 8)

Quote:
“We are on a dangerous downward spiral and American families will be on the losing end,” Shay added in a statement, urging Trump “to stop playing a game of chicken with the U.S. economy.”

Exactly what Trump wants to fuel his ego and get his base all riled up at a boogeyman enemy, China.

Although, there are some legitimate concerns about intellectual property theft and such, as well as Chinese protectionism of industries and via partnership requirements. So, there are some real things to discuss and negotiate. I just don't see Trump's tactics working out very well for Americans as China can afford to suffer greater losses - especially since they literally do not care about their working class and will let as many of them die as necessary while they maintain their loyalty to China right up until the bitter end. Americans simply won't allow that to happen to themselves quite as easily, IMO, and thus might concede defeat in a trade war sooner than China will.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2018, 6:21 pm

China has retaliated in kind...not really a big surprise

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2018, 9:15 pm

Typical Trump, find an issue with a little meat to it, then do the dumbest thing possible to 'solve' it, when it spirals out of control-- but Hillary, but Obama, but...

I don't deal with any of the crops China is going to retaliate against, but if I did I'd go under, as many of the poor fools that voted for the bastard in Iowa and Wisconsin are. At least China was kind and didn't do a blanket tariff, they purposely targeted goods from areas that voted for him, sad day when you have to admit the Chinese are doing you a bigger favor than your elected officials.