Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2018, 8:14 am

Anthracite_Impreza wrote:
I've felt guilty on Total War before, especially when I hear troops saying things like "I'm scared" :? The imperialist in me always wins out though xD

Rome 1 was my first such game. This reminds me I didn't want to hit the exterminate button until some time down the road when I properly appreciated the consequences of not doing so. If exterminate had been merely a cash grab and it didn't hurt you not to I probably wouldn't have ever done it unless perhaps I ever desperately needed the cash. But with the big problems not doing causes, everything that isn't small gets butchered now as a matter of routine.

remmargorp
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 May 2018, 12:24 pm

I just keep in mind that I'm killing some virtual object in the game that happens to resemble a human, and not pretending to actually be killing someone. Video games are completely different from reality.

Tanker
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 May 2018, 6:15 am

Violence is a part of life. And art imitates life.

Violence in video games or any other media before it(before videogames were the scapegoat, it was tv, movies, radio, etc. even books.) has never been the root cause of violence.
If someone is inspired by a game, to act out violently or re-enact violent scenes, then there was already something wrong with that person, to begin with.

My question would be: what's at the root of this guilt?

Anyway, study after study has shown that violent games do not create violent players.

You're interacting with a binary, simulated world. One without feelings and strict rules of play, that dictate what is possible in the world.

If you're given the option to hack someone to pieces, that was made by artists and coders.
Nothing you can do in a game, is the player's actual choice. You are presented with various options/paths and you pick one and enjoy the ride. So why feel guilty? it's closer to being a movie then you might think.

insertgenericlewdcomment
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 May 2018, 8:43 pm

Tanker wrote:
Violence is a part of life. And art imitates life.

Violence in video games or any other media before it(before videogames were the scapegoat, it was tv, movies, radio, etc. even books.) has never been the root cause of violence.
If someone is inspired by a game, to act out violently or re-enact violent scenes, then there was already something wrong with that person, to begin with.

My question would be: what's at the root of this guilt?

Anyway, study after study has shown that violent games do not create violent players.

You're interacting with a binary, simulated world. One without feelings and strict rules of play, that dictate what is possible in the world.

If you're given the option to hack someone to pieces, that was made by artists and coders.
Nothing you can do in a game, is the player's actual choice. You are presented with various options/paths and you pick one and enjoy the ride. So why feel guilty? it's closer to being a movie then you might think.

at the root of the guilt? video games are fiction, fiction is entertainment, entertainment is escapism, and since fiction is a temporary illusion brought to life by our minds and imaginations, it makes me feel uncomfortable that fictional depictions of fake conflict, violence, war, etc are what we (as a culture, and at the individual level) find entertaining. it doesn't make any sense and it doesn't have any logical explanation besides "conflict is kineticism, and kineticism is fun". don't really know the exact root, the exact reason for this, it's just uncomfortable. I prefer Touhou, there is conflict, but no bloodshed, death, or nihilism, everything is a-ok in the end, very different from most action-packed games, which do cause guilt.

Tanker
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 May 2018, 2:39 am

either you then simply dont njoy violent games. in which case: dont play them. but since you keep playing them enough to feel guilty about it, smells like an internal conflict.

if i may take a blind guess, i would guess that you havent been around actual violence (or too much) and you havent incorporated you jungian shadow. your own innate potential for violence.

or maybe not and im talking out of my ass :)

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2018, 5:08 am

I wonnder if that's why Nazis and zombies are such popular enemies... more players are fine with killing them!

Tanker
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jun 2018, 5:57 am

partially, yes. it's destruction and adrenaline and an activity you cannot normally do or would want to do. for some, it's escape, for others a rush, for others it's about the coop.

which brings me back to the topic of this post. the guilt. that guilt stems from somewhere. dont blame the game, but get to why you feel guilt and address that.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2018, 1:05 am

I am actually within most games I waste my time on, like it becomes part of my ongoing experience and the screen is not preventing me being there, like paper or headphones do not restrict me accessing the plains and breezes of stories or songs, so I feel extreme guilt if I wrong someone who ought not have been wronged according to my own moral compass or if I mess up and they pay the price or if I upset someone I engage in dialog with.