Can you be gay/homosexual man and still be manly?

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2018, 5:07 pm

Can you be gay/homosexual man and still be manly? I wonder if someone is solider, military jet pilot, police officer or pro-skater, racing driver and so on? How you cope with you working environment that generally is not very fond of gay people? :)

https://www.quora.com/unanswered/Can-yo ... lly-is-not

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2018, 6:09 pm

Sure!! I have several gay relatives and have met several gay men who were VERY manly----like, power-building men, and Harley bike-riding men, and tough blue-collar workers, and so-forth. There's no "rule" that says gay men have to be feminine, or whatever----IME, they're just as varied in interests, and so-forth, as straight people are.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2018, 2:57 am

pawelk1986 wrote:
Can you be gay/homosexual man and still be manly? I wonder if someone is solider, military jet pilot, police officer or pro-skater, racing driver and so on? How you cope with you working environment that generally is not very fond of gay people? :)

Yes, I am.

There are countless masculine gay guys vs. the more femine types.

I've hooked up with ex-soldiers/marines.. so, yes lol. There are gay guys in every branch of every military, including jet pilots I'm sure. There are definitely gay cops. We have some here that march in the Pride parade. Yes, there's a gay pro-skater - he was in the news a year or so ago after coming out as gay. I'm sure there are gay race car drivers, too. No job requires you to be heterosexual in order to do the job. 7% of the general population identifies as LGBT, and some estimates now say that number is as high as 20% now that more and more younger people are acknowledging bi-attractions.

Myself, I work in construction. Everyone just assumes I'm straight. I don't really say anything otherwise, especially not until I get a real feel for others attitudes that I'm working with. ~4 years ago or so I told a coworker I was gay for the first time and he turned out to be a massive homophobe and I ended up having to defend myself at the BC Human Rights Tribunal as my own lawyer until his fabricated allegations of verbal sexual harassment were withdrawn. I learned from that experience that even though I live in a very safe part of the world for gay people, there are still as*holes around, so it's still best to be a little bit guarded about it (unfortunately.) until I KNOW for sure I'm working with people who have modern, sane, attitudes about it before I consider saying anything. Being a masculine presenting guy it's very easy to just let people assume I'm straight and keep my private life private.

infinitenull
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2018, 6:10 pm

Yeah... and to some guys that even makes you more attractive. I've known plenty of men who prefer to date masculine guys. So yeah, not only can you be, but it might work in your favor.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2018, 6:45 pm

infinitenull wrote:
Yeah... and to some guys that even makes you more attractive. I've known plenty of men who prefer to date masculine guys. So yeah, not only can you be, but it might work in your favor.

That seems to be the preference in the gay community here, which is bizarre to me because I'm personally not attracted to very masculine/bearded guys. My type, according to them, largely gets ignored by much of the hyper masculine gay community here, soooo that tends to work out in my favour and I'm just fine with that. 8)

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2018, 5:55 am

goldfish21 wrote:
infinitenull wrote:

That seems to be the preference in the gay community here, which is bizarre to me because I'm personally not attracted to very masculine/bearded guys. My type, according to them, largely gets ignored by much of the hyper masculine gay community here, soooo that tends to work out in my favour and I'm just fine with that. 8)

I also do not like unshaven masters, even though I also have problem with it when i forgot to shave myself , I mean that someone does not have to be a fearful frightened gay with a delicate body structure, and may be a skateboarder, footballer (in the sense of European) professional soldier or fighter pilot " Mig-29 "which flies with two times the speed of sound (mach speed 2.2) and prefer the company of men than women :mrgreen:

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2018, 7:09 am

Pawelk, have you never met a homosexual before? Most of those I met aren't sissies and tend to have a decent muscular build.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2018, 11:58 am

Aniihya wrote:
Pawelk, have you never met a homosexual before? Most of those I met aren't sissies and tend to have a decent muscular build.

:lol: Reminds me of this sort of effeminate straight guy that cut & coloured my hair into a blue mohawk once last year.. he told me the first time his friends took him to a gay bar he was expecting a bunch of vert effeminate scrawny little gay boys and was shocked to see so many guys that were JACKED. :lol: Too funny.

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2018, 2:35 pm

Yes. Just like there are lesbians that are hairdressers, nurses, work in nail salons etc.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2018, 4:14 pm

:lol:

Last week the most successful Alpha male on the beach told me a story that one of his friends that used to hang around with him at the beach would get really drunk and start shouting things like "fa***t this, and fa***t that," and so he told him he could hangout there if he quit drinking and talking like that because he does the non-judgemental thing and that guy's words were making them look bad.

He's one of the LAST regulars at the beach to know I'm openly gay.

It was a few days later when I was having a private conversation with him and thanking him for some science things I learned from him about Vitamin D being a pro hormone that requires UV light to work and enables our endocrine system to function etc etc that helps with my ASD treatment that I also thanked him for his words about his friend.. and told him that I think this was one of the last spots on the main beach to realize that I am openly gay - and his response was "REALLY? You??" lol yup. He's treated me exactly no differently than before he knew.. and tbh, I didn't disclose it because he didn't need to know AND I generally wait to hear someone make some sort of statement about homosexuality to know where they stand on the issue before deciding to disclose it or not, especially after wearing my lawyer hat for a year defending myself at the BC Human Rights Tribunal from some homophobe that tried to get me fired from my job. (Told him about that, too, in that convo.)

Anyways, yeah, just goes to show.. there are MANY masculine manly type gay guys just like myself out there that even the strongest most Alpha males of the world don't realize are gay unless we tell them.

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2018, 4:15 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:

https://www.quora.com/unanswered/Can-yo ... lly-is-not

Google the "Bear" homosexual subculture. Enough said.

"It must be understood, that neither by word nor deed had I given Fortunato cause to doubt my good-will. I continued as was my wont, to smile in his face, and he did not perceive that my smile was at the thought of his immolation."

Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2018, 1:32 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Aniihya wrote:

:lol: Reminds me of this sort of effeminate straight guy that cut & coloured my hair into a blue mohawk once last year.. he told me the first time his friends took him to a gay bar he was expecting a bunch of vert effeminate scrawny little gay boys and was shocked to see so many guys that were JACKED. :lol: Too funny.

vert effeminate? can you explain?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2018, 3:31 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Aniihya wrote:

Typo - that would be funny.. vert means "green." Oops. I meant "very effeminate," as in very.. female-like/girly, and then when he got to the club with his friends & walked in the door he was 8O 'd to see the place was packed with guys who are VERY well built because they hit the gym all the time and/or work physical jobs. We're not all delicate little flowers. I'm not HUGE, but I am 6'2" 202.5lbs ~12.5% body fat right now. I'm not a skinny little pretty boy in the least bit.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2018, 6:10 pm

Most gay men, in my experience, don't "look" gay.

There is a "gay accent," with a lisp and all that. But this is less common than in previous days.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2018, 6:39 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Most gay men, in my experience, don't "look" gay.

There is a "gay accent," with a lisp and all that. But this is less common than in previous days.

I doubt it’s any less common. I bet there are just more out gay men that don’t fit that stereotype so it seems fewer gay men have that type of voice. Back when only those who were obviously gay were out, it seemed like a lot of gay men sounded this way. IMO YMMV.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 8:20 am

goldfish21 wrote:
pawelk1986 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Aniihya wrote:

Typo - that would be funny.. vert means "green." Oops. I meant "very effeminate," as in very.. female-like/girly, and then when he got to the club with his friends & walked in the door he was 8O 'd to see the place was packed with guys who are VERY well built because they hit the gym all the time and/or work physical jobs. We're not all delicate little flowers. I'm not HUGE, but I am 6'2" 202.5lbs ~12.5% body fat right now. I'm not a skinny little pretty boy in the least bit.

I think Vert as sub discipline of skateboarding :mrgreen:
While i never rode on skateboard i thought a plethora of those super manly pro skateboarders are secretly gay :mrgreen: