Can you be gay/homosexual man and still be manly?

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 8:20 am

goldfish21 wrote:
pawelk1986 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Aniihya wrote:
Pawelk, have you never met a homosexual before? Most of those I met aren't sissies and tend to have a decent muscular build.

:lol: Reminds me of this sort of effeminate straight guy that cut & coloured my hair into a blue mohawk once last year.. he told me the first time his friends took him to a gay bar he was expecting a bunch of vert effeminate scrawny little gay boys and was shocked to see so many guys that were JACKED. :lol: Too funny.

vert effeminate? can you explain?

Typo - that would be funny.. vert means "green." Oops. I meant "very effeminate," as in very.. female-like/girly, and then when he got to the club with his friends & walked in the door he was 8O 'd to see the place was packed with guys who are VERY well built because they hit the gym all the time and/or work physical jobs. We're not all delicate little flowers. I'm not HUGE, but I am 6'2" 202.5lbs ~12.5% body fat right now. I'm not a skinny little pretty boy in the least bit.

I think Vert as sub discipline of skateboarding :mrgreen:
While i never rode on skateboard i thought a plethora of those super manly pro skateboarders are secretly gay :mrgreen:

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 1:49 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
pawelk1986 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Aniihya wrote:
Pawelk, have you never met a homosexual before? Most of those I met aren't sissies and tend to have a decent muscular build.

:lol: Reminds me of this sort of effeminate straight guy that cut & coloured my hair into a blue mohawk once last year.. he told me the first time his friends took him to a gay bar he was expecting a bunch of vert effeminate scrawny little gay boys and was shocked to see so many guys that were JACKED. :lol: Too funny.

vert effeminate? can you explain?

Typo - that would be funny.. vert means "green." Oops. I meant "very effeminate," as in very.. female-like/girly, and then when he got to the club with his friends & walked in the door he was 8O 'd to see the place was packed with guys who are VERY well built because they hit the gym all the time and/or work physical jobs. We're not all delicate little flowers. I'm not HUGE, but I am 6'2" 202.5lbs ~12.5% body fat right now. I'm not a skinny little pretty boy in the least bit.

I think Vert as sub discipline of skateboarding :mrgreen:
While i never rode on skateboard i thought a plethora of those super manly pro skateboarders are secretly gay :mrgreen:

Ah, yes, as in "vert (vertical) ramp." Didn't think of that.

A pro skateboarder came out as gay last year. There are probably others.

https://creators.vice.com/en_au/article ... first-zine

remmargorp
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 May 2018, 8:16 pm

My cousin is gay, and he's as manly as any straight guy I know. He's not flamboyant and doesn't have that stereotypical gay voice, so you wouldn't know it if you met him.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2018, 8:43 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:
Can you be gay/homosexual man and still be manly? I wonder if someone is solider, military jet pilot, police officer or pro-skater, racing driver and so on? How you cope with you working environment that generally is not very fond of gay people? :)

https://www.quora.com/unanswered/Can-yo ... lly-is-not

Last I checked, being gay in an of itself does not make a man effeminate. Homosexuality is attraction to the same sex, nothing more.

d057
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2018, 3:11 pm

I'm gay, and I like it when men show a combination of stereotypically masculine and feminine traits. Like living with Autism said, gay only means you are attracted to the same sex. It is not restrictive to the masculine and feminine labels.

vaguelyhumanoid
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Jun 2018, 5:23 pm

I'd say that most gay men are masculine and attracted to masculinity, to the point where I've often felt a bit alienated as someone who doesn't gravitate towards that type at all. I'm not "flaming" either, fwiw. I do say "yes!" with a gay inflection sometimes (it's fun!), but mostly I talk more like a slacker/stoner type kinda - saying things like "dude", "hella", "rad" etc. (Maybe it's a West Coast thing.)

btw, in terms of what my type is (rather than is not), I like to present casually androgynous and date people who are lanky, nerdy-looking and/or androgynous too. That's part of why these days I've been leaning towards a more nonbinary identity, because that community seems to have more people with my type, aesthetic and personality. I still do identify with a lot of aspects of being a gay male tho, so I wouldn't put everything about that aside.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2018, 9:40 am

the late Rock Hudson

Quote:
Rock Hudson (born Roy Harold Scherer, Jr.; November 17, 1925 – October 2, 1985) was an American actor, generally known for his turns as a leading man during the 1950s and 1960s. Viewed as a prominent "heartthrob" of the Hollywood Golden Age, he achieved stardom with roles in films such as Magnificent Obsession (1954), All That Heaven Allows (1955) and Giant (1956), and found continued success with a string of romantic comedies co-starring Doris Day in Pillow Talk (1959), Lover Come Back (1961) and Send Me No Flowers (1964). After appearing in films including Seconds (1966), Tobruk (1967) and Ice Station Zebra (1968) during the late 1960s, Hudson began a second career in television through the 1970s and 1980s, starring in the popular mystery series McMillan & Wife and the primetime ABC soap opera Dynasty

There have been 11 known gay players in NFL history
Quote:
he announcement today by former Patriots and Chiefs offensive lineman Ryan O'Callaghan that he is gay brings to seven the number of NFL known gay players in NFL history who have played in a regular season game. None have ever come out while active.

In addition, four other players who came out as gay were in NFL training camps, some playing in preseason games.

Dave Kopay, a running back for nine years with the 49ers, Lions, Packers and Redskins, was the first player to come out when he did a newspaper interview in 1975 after retiring. Kopay, whose autobiography reached the New York Times bestsellers list, will turn 75 next week and lives in Los Angeles.

Kopay played with two teammates who were gay: tight end Jerry Smith and running back Ray McDonald.

The most publicized out player was Michael Sam, whose story became national news when he came out in 2014 prior to the NFL Draft. Sam was drafted by the-then St. Louis Rams and played in all four preseason games prior to being released. He is now out of football.

Gay players have long been in the NFL. Legendary Packers and Redskins coach Vince Lombardi — who had an openly gay brother — knew that some of his players were gay. In the Outsports article on O’Callaghan coming out, longtime NFL executive Scott Pioli says he has counseled gay NFL players before.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

vaguelyhumanoid

11 Jun 2018, 4:50 pm

d057 wrote:
I'm gay, and I like it when men show a combination of stereotypically masculine and feminine traits.

Me too! I often like guys who look sharp and sleek, yet soft and cute at the same time.

ExceladonCity
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2018, 8:58 am

I am another testament to being homosexual and masculine. I don't try to put on a front of being some macho dude, though. More often than not, people assume that I'm straight and if the social climate seems lax enough, I'll tell them. Being gay doesn't make one effeminate; some guys are just femme and some aren't. My theory is that some guys "gay it up" to send out the signal to others that may be interested.

As for the gay skateboarder someone mentioned earlier, his name is Brian Anderson. He is a pro skateboarder for Girl Skateboards and Nike. Brian Anderson is incredible, and the documentary on his coming out really helped validate my experiences as a gay skateboarder.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2018, 4:05 pm

ExceladonCity wrote:
I am another testament to being homosexual and masculine. I don't try to put on a front of being some macho dude, though. More often than not, people assume that I'm straight and if the social climate seems lax enough, I'll tell them. Being gay doesn't make one effeminate; some guys are just femme and some aren't. My theory is that some guys "gay it up" to send out the signal to others that may be interested.

As for the gay skateboarder someone mentioned earlier, his name is Brian Anderson. He is a pro skateboarder for Girl Skateboards and Nike. Brian Anderson is incredible, and the documentary on his coming out really helped validate my experiences as a gay skateboarder.

I think skaters are so hot! :D

Conner42
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Aug 2018, 4:14 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Most gay men, in my experience, don't "look" gay.

There is a "gay accent," with a lisp and all that. But this is less common than in previous days.
A coworker told me I have "gay accent" even though I'm not gay.

I break stereotypes, I guess.

EDIT: I think the idea of manliness and girliness are pretty regressive for people anyway. I remember Lindsay Ellis's review on What Women Want where the guy suddenly had the ability to read women's minds and, because he suddenly could anticipate what women want and react accordingly to, one girl thought he was gay because they were getting along so well...

Oi vey -_- There are just no words to show how angry this makes me.

It's a stereotype that gay guys are more in tune to women(you can tell because of their great fashion sense[Isn't stereotyping fun? I just did it with two groups which I'm absolutely sure no one will take offense to ^^])

Ones sexual orientation shouldn't have anything to do with how "manly" or "girly" someone is.